Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aluclad Recommendations

Options
  • 03-11-2020 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Have read a few of the threads but it seems recommendations are by PM only?

Looking at Aluclad windows for our home renovation/extension as well as Aluclad for a large sliding door at the back... been to showrooms of Rationel, NorDan and DK Windows and they all seem like great products but reviews online are mixed for aftercare service.

Recommendations would be appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

HAVE YOU READ UP ON THE ISSUE WITH THIS DESIGN IN DAMP HUMIDD IRISH CONDITIONS
    sorry for caps:)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mrbubbles

Also researching this at the moment and have been looking at the same companies. Please DM me if you have experience with any of them, good or bad. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

mrbubbles wrote: »
    Also researching this at the moment and have been looking at the same companies. Please DM me if you have experience with any of them, good or bad. Thanks!

Similar situation here, looking at options for new build, please pm your experiences if these companies .
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nevik

ml100 wrote: »
    Similar situation here, looking at options for new build, please pm your experiences if these companies .
    Thanks.

I would appreciate a PM too. Especially if someone has had Aluclad in a while, if there are issues it seems to be after a period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Wouldn’t mind a PM also please.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

Emelbe wrote: »
    Have read a few of the threads but it seems recommendations are by PM only?

Recommendations by PM are open to abuse so no PM recommendations from me.

That notwithstanding -snip-.

HAVE YOU READ UP ON THE ISSUE WITH THIS DESIGN IN DAMP HUMIDD IRISH CONDITIONS

What ‘design’ do you have in mind ? ‘Aluclad’ covers a multitude of different constructions.

Ill-informed generalisations are not particularly convincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

Don't rule out-snip- windows either..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055036302

All, Please read section 3 of the forum charter before posting company names thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Could someone PM me the recommendations as well, please? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

fatty pang wrote: »
    What ‘design’ do you have in mind ? ‘Aluclad’ covers a multitude of different constructions.

Ill-informed generalisations are not particularly convincing.

I'll informed generalisations like combing timber with an aluminium cladding in the hopes that the timber will not act as a thermal bridge in a country with damp humid conditions especially in Irish homes.

Two things.

1. The timber will need regular upkeep. People don't seem to realise this and refuse to think it does considering the price of the product.

2. If the purchaser doesn't have a properly designed plan for ventilation and moisture control they will get mould damp and surface left on the timber frames of aluclad.

This product works well on office environments where there is constant air conditioning. In the home it has many drawbacks but that doesn't matter to the salesman.

listermint wrote: »
    1. The timber will need regular upkeep. People don't seem to realise this and refuse to think it does considering the price of the product.
    Any window needs periodic maintenance. The purpose of aluminium cladding is to eliminate the need for periodic refinishing of timber. Internal timber finishes benefit from periodic cleaning.
    2. If the purchaser doesn't have a properly designed plan for ventilation and moisture control they will get mould damp and surface left on the timber frames of aluclad.
    Ventilation (strategy) and (associated) moisture control are determined by the building designer and the behaviour of the occupants. Neither are functions of the window (rapid ventilation not being pertinent). Any surface on which excessive moisture condenses is prone to mould growth
    This product works well on office environments where there is constant air conditioning.
    What was I saying about generalisations…..

If somebody with competency in window design could elaborate on the fetish with “damp humid (Irish) conditions” it would be helpful for the purposes of the discussion.

I would reiterate, again, that there are numerous constructions that are described as 'Aluclad'

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dan234!!

Hi, would really appreciate PM’s on this topic also. -snip-

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

If any recommendations please pm. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Are aluclad worth the investment versus pvc.

Opinions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭nmacu

I'd also appreciate recommendations by PM. Looking for new windows in the West. Go raibh maith agaibh

• Registered Users Posts: 17 playitagainsam

I would appreciate a PM too from anyone that has tried out one of these companies. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

Would also appreciate a PM on this topic. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

Yet another person looking for recommendations here I. Dublin. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Aluclad owner here.

We have sash aluclad and they really are beautiful windows. But, they do require maintenance and are not without their problems, a couple of ours had to be replaced.

I would urge buyers to choose their supplier carefully, do your research.

We have Marvin aluclad windows, the Irish supplier closed suddenly in 2015, the same owners recently closed their UK supply office leaving a lot of customers with no windows, having paid a lot of money. The same owners have a business here supplying a different American aluclad window, when they closed Marvin in 2015 we were left to deal with the US manufacturer on warranty issues, a lot of delay, frustration, and money as we ended up having to pay for shipping and installation of windows that should have been done free under warranty.

So research who you buy from and take a long term view.

Post edited by Dav010 on

Advertisement