Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a Raspberry Pi mine any crypto?

Options
  • 17-10-2020 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking into this. Trying to see if a Pi can mine any crypto. Like set it up in the coroner and let it run.

I know there's not a chance for Bitcoin. Not enough power. But is there any other crypto that it could mine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spanishpoint

Maybe COSMOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Run it as a node and take the transaction fees maybe.
    Can't think of a crypto that it would be paying itself to mine offhand tbhm

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

banie01 wrote: »
    Run it as a node and take the transaction fees maybe.

Tried that with a few coins and no joy. There usually isn't the code available for the Pi architecture. Many coins only run on some specific Linux platforms, typically only Ubuntu server 16.04

You could of course run your Pi as a desktop 24/7, with any Linux client flavour, and stake coins

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spanishpoint

unkel wrote: »
    Tried that with a few coins and no joy. There usually isn't the code available for the Pi architecture. Many coins only run on some specific Linux platforms, typically only Ubuntu server 16.04

You could of course run your Pi as a desktop 24/7, with any Linux client flavour, and stake coins

yeah, it can work really good with XFCE as a desktop 24/7

Yeah I can't stop buying the buggers. They're such incredible value for money :D

Actually bought my current one specifically to run a master node. Didn't work out, it's back in the drawer...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Looking a building a cluster of them and seeing what I can run on them. Found a case that holds a combo of up to 8 Pis and 2.5inch SSD drives, so might be handy for mining or staking some type of crypto.

A handy little lockdown project methinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Apologies for taking this on a tangent but lets say you have a few laptops lying about, whats the best use of them in terms of mining

None really. But if you have a half decent graphics card in your PC it can make you very decent money. Think a revenue of a few euro a day, depending on the card.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

unkel wrote: »
    None really. But if you have a half decent graphics card in your PC it can make you very decent money. Think a revenue of a few euro a day, depending on the card.

Is there any crypto worth mining these days? Thought the Chinese with their mining farms had killed at that off?

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Is there any crypto worth mining these days? Thought the Chinese with their mining farms had killed at that off?

You can mine loads of coins with just a PC and a half decent graphics card. I bought an R9 390 for €55 a few months ago, it will mine about €2 a day of Ethereum at current coin values.

• Advertisement

Not bad, hows it for electricity?

That one not great, but still quite profitable. Problem is you wouldn't even get one now for €100. And more modern, more efficient cards like RX570 / RX580 could be had for €90-100 a few months ago (I bought a good few), but now go for >€200. More modern, more efficient again like an 5700XT, which is a €350 or so RRP card, you'd struggle to find one for under €500. They make good money mining but if some supply of graphics cards should come along in a month or two, it might drop in value to €300 second hand and all your profits (and the rest) will be lost. It's a numbers game.

If you have a half decent graphics card, by all means, make a bit of money and mine with it. I wouldn't go out buying any cards right now though. But if you insist, I can sell some at current market value :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Might we see a quantum shift from GPU's to (wait for it) TPU's ?
    ie. something like the Coral edge TPU @ 4 TOPS (using 0.5 watts for each TOPS).
    Could a similar design be used to process the same/similar calculations but for much less power I wonder ? there would be a big saving in initial cost & running costs.

Advertisement