Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What food/flavour do you associate with the Christmas season?

Options
  • 04-12-2020 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭

I have just had a divine chunk of Blue Stilton. On its own it spells out a good Christmas on my taste buds. With a good sized piece of Rich Fruit Cake I'm in seasonal heaven.

What does it for you?

Wake me up when it's all over.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Cold baked ham with fried eggs does it for me. If we have it during the year it feels instantly like Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

For my family, its not christmas without pigs in blankets and fresh out of the oven sausage rolls
    We eat more pig than turkey over the days of xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Mulled wine......absolutely LOVE the stuff.
    Has to be home made though with all the cloves, lemon zest, star anise, etc - not the muck out of a bottle.
    Also love the smell of a Christmas wreath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭sporina

Ardsallagh goats cheese and cranberry roulade does it for me - with sheirdans brown bread crackers... hmm hmm... its continuing to stretch into Jan this year though - given the times that are in it.. hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Weirdly enough, the smell of roasted parsnips is the smell of Christmas to me! It was the only time of year my mother would roast parsnips, they were usually served mashed in with carrots but for some reason we had roast parsnips at Christmas, don't ask me why.
    My mom passed away three years ago and the smell of roast parsnips still makes me profoundly sad and nostalgic. A tasty veg all the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭sporina

Bassfish wrote: »
    Weirdly enough, the smell of roasted parsnips is the smell of Christmas to me! It was the only time of year my mother would roast parsnips, they were usually served mashed in with carrots but for some reason we had roast parsnips at Christmas, don't ask me why.
    My mom passed away three years ago and the smell of roast parsnips still makes me profoundly sad and nostalgic. A tasty veg all the same!

what a really lovely ode to your Mum - RIP.. she would be happy to read this I am sure... I love mashed carrot and parsnip in winter - so comforting - but I too only have roast parsnips at Christmas..
    food can be very sentimental - esp at Christmas - and when loved ones are absent..
    like this year - we could not be with our parents due to covid - but we had dinner exactly as we would have it at home... honeydew melon as one of our starters - Dad always insists - but we only ever have it for xmas dinner lol.. awe.. and we had a fry for brunch on xmas day which we would never have here but we did it this year as a reenactment of home..

here's to food and its significance to family life x

Advertisement