Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently Drinking - what's perking you up at the moment

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've bought too much coffee since Christmas. I bought 2 microlots from Bailies with the free V60 kit, not sure why I already have a V60.

That hadn't arrived so I bought 2 bags from 3FE, 1 momentum blend and 1 El Salvador - Mamatita.

I'm a big fan of the momentum, its a great espresso blend and I've been getting wonderful espresso from it. It's €10 so not cheap but I think its worth it.

I then jumped on the coffeeangel deal for pre-Christmas roasted coffee. One of the bags I bought is Rioki-AA Kenya.

https://coffeeangel.com/collections/coffee/products/rioki-aa-kenya

This is really fantastic in the Aeropress and V60. I really recommend this one if you brew filter as the flavours really come out and it improves as it cools!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Recieved a gift subscription to Badger and Dodo.
    First up, the Nicaraguan:

Region: Mozonte, Nueva Segovia
    Altitude: 1600 – 1700 masl
    Producer: Mariano Montealegre & Emir Antonio Aquilar
    Coffee varieties: Java
    Process: Washed
    Cupping notes: Marzipan, Gooseberry, Pear
    Cupping score: 86.00

I've had three cups in the Aeropress so far and I'm at a total loss as to how to describe it. It's very different to any other coffee I've tasted. I couldn't see myself ordering a kilo of it, but it really brings home the benefit of a sub to me, as it's interesting and different to what I normally order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Recieved a gift subscription to Badger and Dodo.
    First up, the Nicaraguan:

Region: Mozonte, Nueva Segovia
    Altitude: 1600 – 1700 masl
    Producer: Mariano Montealegre & Emir Antonio Aquilar
    Coffee varieties: Java
    Cupping notes: Marzipan, Gooseberry, Pear
    Cupping score: 86.00

I've had three cups in the Aeropress so far and I'm at a total loss as to how to describe it. It's very different to any other coffee I've tasted. I couldn't see myself ordering a kilo of it, but it really brings home the benefit of a sub to me, as it's interesting and different to what I normally order.

I've just started the same sub Richard so we can tag-team and compare notes for the next six months. Still finishing off some coffee angel bean so haven't opened the Nicaraguan yet!

I've just started the same sub Richard so we can tag-team and compare notes for the next six months. Still finishing off some coffee angel bean so haven't opened the Nicaraguan yet!

Just on this now - absolutely LOVELY and has opened my mind up to Nicaraguan coffee!
    https://badgeranddodo.ie/shop/nicaragua-los-nubarrones/

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Just on this now - absolutely LOVELY and has opened my mind up to Nicaraguan coffee!
    https://badgeranddodo.ie/shop/nicaragua-los-nubarrones/

Good stuff. I was fairly undecided on my first few cups but enjoying it since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Very impressed with the Halu Beriti Ethiopian from Carrow. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fatalbert

Bigbooty wrote: »
    Very impressed with the Halu Beriti Ethiopian from Carrow. Highly recommended.

Interesting - they are on my list of Irish roasters to try and have been popping up on different channels in the last few days. Will give it a go next maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fatalbert

I have a Cloudpicker sub and got a Malawi bean this month which I am using the Aeropress to brew.
    So nice that I got another bag of it today from Filter in Cork to last me another week or 2. I really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Using B&D Blackwater blend in the 1L French press this week and it's been great! Managed to find a few bags of the Velo Indian beans in Aldi a few days ago and it makes an incredible pour over in the SS Kalita.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Just called in to Driftwood cafe in Finglas this morning, got an Americano and a Latte for herself

Coffee was top notch, lovely creamy chocolate and not burnt!

I think they use an Upside blend

• Advertisement

https://calendarcoffee.ie/products/carmen-tapia-ecuador-filter-1
    Cantaloupe Melon & Apricot
    Harvest: Aug 2020

Producer: Carmen Tapia
    Region: Pichincha
    Variety: Typica Mejorado
    Altitude: 1,840 masl

Drinking this at the minute, got both Ecuadorian coffees from calendar with this being much better than the other one. Really nice on the V60/kalita. It tastes like sweet ripe jammy apricots with delicate floral notes. It's quite similar to African coffee.

https://manifesto.coffee/products/copy-of-china-banka-natural
    CHINA BANKA Natural

Origin: China
    Producer: Banka Farm, Yunnan Coffee Traders
    Altitude: 1350 masl
    Process: Natural
    Variety: Catimor P3|Catimor P4

First time trying manifesto and it's a big thumbs up. I've never had Chinese coffee and I'm really impressed so far. Big hit of red wine and sweet berry booziness with a chocolate finish. Delightful.

This is lovely
    Guatemala - Blue Ayarza Vinoso

https://velocoffee.ie/collections/coffee-beans/products/copy-of-dr-congo-mikeno-mountain-kivu-225g-1

Region: Santa Rosa
    Varietals: Catuai, Anacafe 14, Pache, Bourbon & San Ramon
    Altitude: 1,400 - 2,000 MASL

Lovely and sweet and raisiny - low/no acidity. Really nice for a stormy wet day like today when you want some comfort!

Have a few more beans from Velo to try and looking forward to them.

In Cork for work so I've picked up some new bits to try. A natural Ethiopian from Café Moly along with their Velvet blend, some Stone Valley Peruvian beans and good old Maher's Swiss water decaf. I enjoyed some great coffee in Café Moly, really impressed with it and a nice set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

A little from Column A and a little from Column B.

Kenya - Diamond Kiambu (Velo)

Region: Kiambu

Varietals: SL28, SL34, Ruiru 11 & Blue Mountain

Altitude: 1,950 masl

Harvest Period: November - March

This is nice but not a patch on the Guatamalan a couple of posts above - that was really lovely, would seriously recommend.

Maybe it needs a few more days post-roasting so will persevere with the Kenyan (I mean it's very nice but nothing to rave about!)

OMG! I'm on the Velo Indian Ratnigiri this morning, now I see what all the fuss was about. Gorgeous! So sweet and smooth

https://velocoffee.ie/collections/kg-bags/products/copy-of-india-ratnagiri-estate-225g

Region: Bababudangiri in the South Indian Western Ghats

Varietals: Catuai

Altitude: 1,280 - 1,417 masl

Harvest Period: December - March

Café Moly Velvet espresso blend brewed with the Aeropress is the most "alike" to a real espresso I've found. Think Maher's Italian Blend but without the booming chocolate notes. I've been searching for over a year for something like this for an espresso-style fix (not kidding myself here at all, I know it's not espresso) and it ticks all the boxes.

3FE Equinox Blend - Roast Date 26/2/21

Link

Clever 18g/300ml 2m30s

This is really pretty nice, warm chocolate mouthfeel, and some orange citrus in the finish

I haven't had 3FE in ages and I'm glad I've gone back for this one.

On the art of coffee monsoon malabar in the clever dripper.

It's a very dark roast! The bloom is unreal and the coffee sticks right up the wall of the filter paper for me which is unusual. Might have gone a bit fine with the grind (19 on wilfa uniform) as it's a little on the bitter side for me.

Not grabbing me to be honest, I'm one for the sweeter coffees though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Ethiopia Worka Wuri from Imbibe
    Variety: Heirloom
    Process: Natural Anaerobic
    Altitude: 1950-2100 masl
    Tasting: Nectarine, Black Tea, Lemon

Really good, complex flavours. First time I had a non-washed coffee from Imbibe it took a few cups to decide if I liked it or not, but really liking the punch of anaerobic and carbonic now. Exclusively using them for milk based drinks (8oz FW).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ordered the Art of Coffee Fusion blend when they had the offer. Mostly drink Americano and latte from barista express. Really like this blend.

3FE Ethiopia Uraga (it's gone off the website)

Beautiful coffee, really.

Best I've had this year for sure - smells like brandy in the bag, and from a Clever is absolutely gorgeous

fits wrote: »
    Ordered the Art of Coffee Fusion blend when they had the offer. Mostly drink Americano and latte from barista express. Really like this blend.

What's the roast like? Is is very dark?

My lovely wife surprised me with bags of Wild Heart's Geisha and 180hr anaerobic fermentation pink bourbon Colombian beans after a tough few weeks with work. So far I've only had v60s of the Geisha. A great tasting experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

What's the roast like? Is is very dark?

no, its medium.

PS Roasters - Mexico Tenejapa
    Tasting notes: Fig, biscuit, almond 
    SCA: 87
    Altitude: 1500m
    Roast style: Espresso

This is it. Our first non-decaffeinated Mexican coffee and it is a stunner. Its tasting better than the roasted sample we were given and we are excited to bring you a new origin that we haven't properly explored before. Mexican coffee is normally bought up by the USA, but in recently years Mexico seems to be moving more of its stock to Europe.

I made this in my DeLonghi Micalite machine, using a Baratza Encore to grind the beans - 14g dose, approx 35g out, and then made an Americano with that.

Nice coffee!

548661.jpg

Does it really taste of Fig, biscuit and almond?? Nyom :D

No!

Fig, Biscuit and Hazlenut

In the Americano I was able to pick up the biscuit

I made an Aeropress later on, and was definitely able to pick up the nutty notes alongside the biscuit, but not the fig.

It's a nice coffee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Have been using Lidl's Bellarom Gold Crema beans the past while, 1kg bag for €7.

Have to say, they're nice for a daily. I'm a bit of a coffee philistine, but I have it dialed in nicely on my bean to cup machine. Serious caffeine kick off them too, which I don't usually get.

Advertisement