Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The stage in the design & planning process where road type is decided has not been reached yet. Remember we haven't fully decided whether this is a road or rail improvement.

All TII documentation to date says this will be motorway. It should be a motorway the whole way, it's the most strategic inter urban road yet to be built.

There are so many lessons about doing things in a half arsed manner in this scheme alone. This scheme involves upgrading the New Mallow Road (90s) and Croom Bypass (2001). Had the original M20 gone ahead back in 2011, the Croom bypass would be upgraded to DC only 10 years after opening. That's chronic shortsightedness.

This is evident elsewhere too. As mentioned above, Dunkettle is 20 years old. The N5 Westport-Turlough scheme involves building a 2nd Castlebar bypass with the original bypass built in the 90s. The M28 in Cork involves dualling another 90s section of road. Second bypasses of Galway, Rathkeale, Monaghan, Longford, Killarney, Clonmel and several small villages are in planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I would say we have a habit of planning something wonderful and then planning the same something even better, and then finding it is too expensive, and cancelling the project only to bring the project back up again after a few decades, and starting again with a blank page.

The M20 has already been planned a decade ago. The Dart expansion was planned 5 decades ago. Dart underground got as far as a railway order before being cancelled and redesigned and cancelled. Metro North was fully planned before it was cancelled and redesigned.

Build it NOW - it will do, rather than trying to get it right to satisfy the perfectionists but not built.

Ah no, there's a happy medium. We can do it right, and there's time in the schedule to design it right. There's no call to just "build anything" now.
    Remember this project wasn't canned because its design became too expensive, it was canned because funding ran out for all projects. The previous design wasn't overly lavish or complex. We really don't have to worry about ridiculous notions here, there's only a handfull of open questions like:
    Are there local environmental / archeological / geological issues
    Did they consider the M8 alignment
    Did they consider the rail options on the same corridor
    Where should the junctions / tolls be
    Is there a viable alternate route available
    Did they consider the Cork Northern Ring Road
    KrisW1001 wrote: »
    A 2+2 would require a separate segregated cycleway. That's the design standard in force now.

(I think 2+2 would be shortsighted, and a Motorway is the way to go, but whichever it ends up being, there won't be cyclists on it)

I wasn't aware of this, thanks KrisW1001.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I'm not a particular fan of the Victorians but they built railways with embankments through wetlands, boglands, forests, and anywhere needed and the local wildlife, flora and fauna survived. Tell me one place where such construction took place in which the environment failed to recover. IMHO the current obsession with EIS's etc. is just driving unnecessary costs into projects.

Being a regular traveller through European countries I've often come across infrastructure future-proofing like double-span bridges over or under 1+1 roads, ready for future upgrading to 2+2. I've also seen cycle ways paralleling major inter-urban routes.

The N40 is a classic example of building cheap just for today. In the time since it was first built with its necklace of roundabouts three of them have had to be replaced with propper junctions and the replacement of the fourth has just begun.
    The old saying, buy cheap pay twice never rang truer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

niloc1951 wrote: »
    I'm not a particular fan of the Victorians but they built railways with embankments through wetlands, boglands, forests, and anywhere needed and the local wildlife, flora and fauna survived. Tell me one place where such construction took place in which the environment failed to recover. IMHO the current obsession with EIS's etc. is just driving unnecessary costs into projects.

Being a regular traveller through European countries I've often come across infrastructure future-proofing like double-span bridges over or under 1+1 roads, ready for future upgrading to 2+2. I've also seen cycle ways paralleling major inter-urban routes.

The N40 is a classic example of building cheap just for today. In the time since it was first built with its necklace of roundabouts three of them have had to be replaced with propper junctions and the replacement of the fourth has just begun.
    The old saying, buy cheap pay twice never rang truer.

Add to that a 5th junction will have to be cannlibalised whenever the NRR is built. And the Kinsale Road Roundabout is still a congested mess a lot of the time. Too much going on there altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

yes but it was built in a different world where we had no money and traffic was lighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Isambard wrote: »
    yes but it was built in a different world where we had no money and traffic was lighter.

Traffic was always going to get heavier and while money might have been short it would have cost a huge amount less to do it future-proofed in the first time around.
    The cost of additional borrowing to do it right first time I'm sure would only be a fraction of the extra millions it cost to put it right later.

In the Cork L.U.T.S. plan of 1978, the population was projected to increase from about 200,000 to 300,000 by 2001, now the Cork Metropolitan Area has a population of over 400,000

Remember, politicians will only sanction the minimum expenditure to secure re-election, it's called short-termism and never delivers for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It was poor planning. Road planners took the cheap options when dealing with interchanges and access points in Ireland. In oblivious areas they never looked in the medium term. The Red cow roundabout was the most obvious one. Dunkettle interchange is another one. Roxboro interchange where traffic from Dublin and Cork/Kerry cannot inter the city. The Bridge build in Limerick in the late 80's. And after all that they put a dual carriageway bypass.in castleisland

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

And after all that they put a dual carriageway bypass.in castleisland

So, they do it right sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

spacetweek wrote: »
    No decision on phasing - this will come during procurement - though he left the door open on a phased approach due to scheme size.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it phased with Blarney to Mallow and Charleville to existing M20 prioritised and the existing road plus the Localised Bypasses left in between. Both could be built as motorway with the bit in the middle deferred for later.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see it phased with Blarney to Mallow and Charleville to existing M20 prioritised and the existing road plus the Localised Bypasses left in between. Both could be built as motorway with the bit in the middle deferred for later.

mallow to CHarlevile is the worst bit of road, it would be madness to do it thjat way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

mallow to CHarlevile is the worst bit of road, it would be madness to do it thjat way

A Buttevant bypass would make a huge difference in the quality of that section. AADT is only 10k. Prioritise the NRR instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

And after all that they put a dual carriageway bypass.in castleisland

So, they do it right sometimes.[/quote]

I cannot see the rational for it. I cannot ever see the road from it to Abbeyfeale being upgraded to dual carriageway. Its similar to Ennis to above Gort and onto Tuam. Motorway was not needed for that section. High-class single carriageway would have sufficed.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They built Childers Road in Limerick as a bypass (in the 1970s - maybe), and provided for it to become a Dual in the future, but the future did not arrive for it. It is still a SC, but no longer a bypass - and not even close to the bypass.

Limerick has grown hugely in the intervening years, including getting a university and a motorway.

Childers Road predated us getting EU money for roads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They built Childers Road in Limerick as a bypass (in the 1970s - maybe), and provided for it to become a Dual in the future, but the future did not arrive for it. It is still a SC, but no longer a bypass - and not even close to the bypass.

Limerick has grown hugely in the intervening years, including getting a university and a motorway.

Childers Road predated us getting EU money for roads.
    Childers Road was built in stages into the mid 80s. We had our primary schools sports days on the surfaced but unopened section between the Roxboro and Kilmallock roundabouts and we played in the unfinished abandoned project for quite a few years (No H&S in the early 80s!)

I'm not sure where you got the idea they provided for a dual carriageway though. Between Punches Cross and Roxboro is lined with housing estates build in the 30s and 40s.

The next section between the two mentioned roundabouts has housing estates and schools built in the 60 and 70s and an industrial estate build around the same time either side and a railway bridge that definitely doesn't leave room for a dual carriageway.

Even the section between the Parkway and the Tipperary Road had the Claugheen GAA club stopping the possibility of a dual carriageway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The section from Dublin Rd to the Tipp roundabout had land reserved for dualling. Not sure about any further provision. If you look at Google maps, it is obvious.

Perhaps I am mistaken. But anyway, I believe also the same was done for the Neenah bypass, which is now the motorway. It was what we did before we got EU largesse.

We should not be doing it anymore, and particularly for the M20. It should be fast tracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Heard it from a reliable source that if the M20 ever actually comes to be built it will almost certainly have a cycle route and other “green” initiatives a-joining along its length.

This will also be the case with regards Mallow by-pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

irishfeen wrote: »
    Heard it from a reliable source that if the M20 ever actually comes to be built it will almost certainly have a cycle route and other “green” initiatives a-joining along its length.

This will also be the case with regards Mallow by-pass.

Good

well yes, the cycle route can follow the old road or the new replacement R road. Doesn't need to be alongside the Mway

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Submission by Green Party councilor. I agree with some of his points around needing sustainable transport, an alternative to cars but the suggestion that a lot of people can switch over to a bike or train for their transport needs as a solution isn't sustainable. He mentions the need to upgrade the route but dismisses all proposals on the table for the road options.

Btw - This objection was retweeted by the minister for transport which gives me great hope in the route being funded to construction......

https://twitter.com/AlanOC_Green/status/1350160938146652160?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

rounders wrote: »

Btw - This objection was retweeted by the minister for transport which gives me great hope in the route being funded to construction......
    Don't worry. By the time this comes to be funded, the Greens will have been wiped out again at the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Don't worry. By the time this comes to be funded, the Greens will have been wiped out again at the next general election.

Literally I hope. I'm all for environmental awareness and all that, but our so-called green party are just a huge waste of good oxygen.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Literally I hope. I'm all for environmental awareness and all that, but our so-called green party are just a huge waste of good oxygen.

Same! I voted greens cause I can see we need to do something for the environment but they just seem to be a joke, especially Eamon Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Baldilocks

I love the greens and their ability to overlook basic maths/science.

They championed Diesel cars, and look at how that turned out

At the end of the day, while it is about moving people, all calculations should be based on moving mass (weight). Energy is required to move mass, and trains, well, they're not light!
    A standard Irish rail carriage weighs 63,000kg (CAF Mark 4, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_4_(Iarnr%C3%B3d_%C3%89ireann) and will carry 71 people, the 201 engine weighs 108,000kg. The max number of carriages currently pulled is 5. Thus mass required to move 1 person is 1191kg. This is hardly a quick win! A VW golf weighs upto 1500kg, but can move 4 people. The mass required to move 1 person is 375kg. Even at 2 people per car, it's 750kg of transport mass per person, that's a 37% weight reduction on the train.
    Not all cars are full - absolutely, but then neither are all trains. They might be on a friday evening/monday morning, but for the rest of the week??
    Trains rarely (almost never) get you to your final destination, therefore extra kilometres and time will be added to most journeys.
    The same logic applies for transport of goods.

That all said, as a country, public transport in our cities is very poor and is in dire need of significant improvement (buses, bus corridors, trams, etc.).

We need to focus on the energy required to move people, and the maths needs to include the mass of the vehicle

Trains do not climb hills, and do not stop very often. It is hill climbing, and start/stop movement that burns energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

rounders wrote: »
    Same! I voted greens cause I can see we need to do something for the environment but they just seem to be a joke, especially Eamon Ryan.

You voted for the Green Party and are surprised that they're not rowing in behind building a big motorway?

donvito99 wrote: »
    You voted for the Green Party and are surprised that they're not rowing in behind building a big motorway?

The problem is that they are not building anything.

donvito99 wrote: »

I'm not surprised they aren't massive supporter of motorways. I am surprised by how little of anything they are doing though. Granted it we have the pandemic but the green deal and all that seems to have got watered down a lot already. That's before we actually see how much will actually get built

It is a year since the general election and nothing much has been achieved.

Has E Ryan come out 100% behind Metrolink?

Has E Ryan come out 100% behind Busconnects?

Has E Ryan come out 100% behind Dart Expansion?

Has E Ryan come out 100% behind anything?

As Minister for Transport, has he done anything about disqualified drivers being caught driving, or untaxed cars being sold without the back taxes being paid?

In fact, has he done anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The Greens are like every political party - they contain a range of opinions on road transport, from pragmatic to bat**** crazy. There are environmentally justifiable reasons for road-building, despite the high cost to the environment: motorways take through-traffic out of populated areas, they reduce the fuel consumption of heavy goods traffic, and they are safer. Also, roads aren't combustion engines: future, electrified, transport will still need roads to run on.

Personally, as someone who has regularly voted Green, but also supports road building, I think M20 should be one of the last motorways built in the State - after this one, there are very few routes that justify this capacity, except on the ground that there's huge commuter demand, and commuter traffic is always the wrong reason to build a motorway. Instead of adding lanes in and out of the cities, we should be improving the routes between the motorways, and routes in rural areas, many of which haven't changed since the 1950s. For the cities we should be spending on better public transport (rail, light-rail, both with free park-and-ride facilities) instead of encouraging more and more people to drive all the way in to work and back every day. But none of these things are "either-or": everything is important.

Advertisement