Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pump Servicing - Any need?

• 17-01-2021 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭

I have a Daikin heat pump and read on the manual that it should be serviced annually - the installer has quoted 280 quid to service it which seems like a rip off - I’ve been paying 60 quid to get a gas boiler serviced for years. I’ve no idea what’s involved and am guessing it’s similar to a fridge service

Can anybody comment on what’s involved in getting a service and what folks are paying? 220 extra a year in servicing cost wasn’t advertised when buying the heat pump vs oil or gas boiler but is a significant cost which will basically eat up any energy savings Im seeing with the unit.

Is the servicing essential and is 280 quid typical? It’s a Daikin unit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Conar

Casati wrote: »
    I have a Daikin heat pump and read on the manual that it should be serviced annually - the installer has quoted 280 quid to service it which seems like a rip off - I’ve been paying 60 quid to get a gas boiler serviced for years. I’ve no idea what’s involved and am guessing it’s similar to a fridge service

Can anybody comment on what’s involved in getting a service and what folks are paying? 220 extra a year in servicing cost wasn’t advertised when buying the heat pump vs oil or gas boiler but is a significant cost which will basically eat up any energy savings Im seeing with the unit.

Is the servicing essential and is 280 quid typical? It’s a Daikin unit

I have been getting mine serviced with unitherm.
    https://www.unithermhs.ie

It's been €175 for the last 2 years, need to get it done again soon. They were the providers so getting it done through them extended the warranty each time but I think that has reached its 3 year limit.

I'd love to be able to tell you whether they do good work but while I understand reasonably well how to use the thing my expertise stops there.

https://www.daikin.ie/en_gb/service-residential/service-partners.html
    There's a list of service partners there which might be worth a go.

Could you update me with how you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Casati

Conar wrote: »
    I have been getting mine serviced with unitherm.
    https://www.unithermhs.ie

It's been €175 for the last 2 years, need to get it done again soon. They were the providers so getting it done through them extended the warranty each time but I think that has reached its 3 year limit.

I'd love to be able to tell you whether they do good work but while I understand reasonably well how to use the thing my expertise stops there.

https://www.daikin.ie/en_gb/service-residential/service-partners.html
    There's a list of service partners there which might be worth a go.

Could you update me with how you get on?

Thanks for that - cheaper than my quote so I will
    Check them out - but still three times what the gas boiler costs. It been working perfectly and obviously it’s an expensive unit so I want to maintain the warranty but wish I’d know about the servicing cost when buying it

Casati wrote: »
    Thanks for that - cheaper than my quote so I will
    Check them out - but still three times what the gas boiler costs. It been working perfectly and obviously it’s an expensive unit so I want to maintain the warranty but wish I’d know about the servicing cost when buying it

Yeah, it's a ridiculous cost. I'm hoping to get it lower now that warranty is no longer a concern.
    At the end of the day, unless parts are being replaced (and I don't think they are) then we should be just paying for a call out charge and an hourly rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

have you got a power meter on the HP showing what the power commotion is in real time, thats a key item to keep an eye off how it is doing because if the compressor goes iffy, the back up clicks in at a COP of 1

IIRC the service includes checking the refrigerant , which I think attracts a more expensive service technician

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

have you got a power meter on the HP showing what the power commotion is in real time, thats a key item to keep an eye off how it is doing because if the compressor goes iffy, the back up clicks in at a COP of 1

IIRC the service includes checking the refrigerant , which I think attracts a more expensive service technician

Not a live power meter but can see a month view. I try to keep an eye on the pressure and it's always at a steady 1.6-1.7 bar. Assume that's fine as it never changes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement