Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a PRSA - best way to fund it?

Options
  • 15-01-2021 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of setting up a PRSA with Davy.

As far as I know, they are the only PRSA that has its own trading platform and you can pick your own shares, correct?

And what's the best way to fund it? Should I get my employer to take it out of my salary, or fund it myself?

Are the tax implications the same whichever way I do it?

Is it more hassle funding it myself?

They wouldn't answer these questions on the phone as it's "tax advice".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Not answering your question, but are they only ones that you can direct your PRSA to stocks?
    I have 3 seperate PRSA's and looking to get sorted out.
    I would like however to look at options (if poss) of one to be allocated to shares in 1 specific company, until i retire hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Same tax benefit whether you do it yourself or via employer.

Only difference is the tax credits are 50% credits l, 50% increase to your band, over the tax year.

Easiest way is via your employer IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Not answering your question, but are they only ones that you can direct your PRSA to stocks?
    I have 3 seperate PRSA's and looking to get sorted out.
    I would like however to look at options (if poss) of one to be allocated to shares in 1 specific company, until i retire hopefully.

If the company trades on the stock exchange, then yes you can do it with Davy.

Not sure I would recommend having your entire PRSA allocated to shares in a single stock. High risk IMO.

Balanced portfolio of stocks and funds is a more typical setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

colm_c wrote: »
    If the company trades on the stock exchange, then yes you can do it with Davy.

Not sure I would recommend having your entire PRSA allocated to shares in a single stock. High risk IMO.

Balanced portfolio of stocks and funds is a more typical setup.

Thanks.
    I was not clear, it would be 30% of complete portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Thanks.
    I was not clear, it would be 30% of complete portfolio.

IMO it is still a lot. If, for any reason, the company doesn't do well, are you ok to only get 70% of your PRSA?

• Advertisement
Advertisement