Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Controversial Irish Rail extensions

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

No, I mean a line that went from Killinick to wexford town, bypassing Rosslare altogether. If you look on google maps satellite imagery you can see where the track used to be.

Taken from here: https://railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

rail3.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Rulmeq wrote: »
    Taken from here:

rail3.png

That's the one I was talking about. If they rebuilt and reopened it there could be a direct service from wexford to waterford without having to go to rosslare.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

That's the one I was talking about. If they rebuilt and reopened it there could be a direct service from wexford to waterford without having to go to rosslare.

As I pointed out in another thread, anybody travelling south of Bray would find this the fastest way of getting to Waterford even with existing line speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Del.Monte wrote: »
    As I pointed out in another thread, anybody travelling south of Bray would find this the fastest way of getting to Waterford even with existing line speeds.

All/Most Wexford trains should be extended to Waterford, and vice versa via a restored Killinick Junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

Another one of my suggestions for a controversial Irish Rail extension:

Not only reopening M3 Parkway-Navan, but also reopening the branch line from Kilmessan to Trim.
    Trains would run from Trim directly into Dublin city centre.
    Also, a slight diversion off the original M3 Parkway-Navan trackbed to the edge of Dunshaughlin, with a station there(which would be a more convenient spot for a Dunshaughlin station than anywhere on the original trackbed.

Once again, I do not think this will happen, but I do think it should happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Another one would be a direct line from Waterford to Cork. Rebuild the line to Dungarvan(ideally actually build a new line via Tramore along the coast), rebuild the line to Youghal from Midleton. I know terrain between Youghal and Dungarvan would make it difficult but I'm sure something could be figured out given they were able to build for example the line around the Wicklow mountains, unless I'm mistaken. Also it's the 21st century, tech has advanced since then.

This is just me dreaming, it will never actually happen obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Until the cities have high frequency electric commuter services and there's an intercity service that's faster than road and frequent then more intercity lines is not on the radar. Look at Limerick, surrounded by rail but under LMATS which runs to 2040, no plans to use it as a commuter network for the city. Utterly visionless, go to the mainland and see what cities like Limerick have , for example Innsbruck operates 5 commuter lines electrified, 5 tram routes and a bus connects style system with 24hr service on major routes.

On a separate note, I do think there's real possibility of Navan-M3 popping up in the NDP revision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 HoundOfUlster

The reinstatement of the 10 miles of track between Portadown and Armagh, linking Ireland’s ecclesiastical capital with the main Belfast-Dublin line.

Much of the trackbed is still in tact, although there has been some development in last 50 years or so which would impact on any potential plans to re-open it.

Armagh’s infrastructure is pretty poor, the main roads leading in to the city are substandard. A rail link with perhaps one intermediate stop at Richill would alleviate much of the congestion on the main road to Portadown.

Advertisement