Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am i f**ked?

Options
  • 14-01-2021 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Not sure if this in the right place so feel free to relocate. I'll try to keep the background brief.......

Basically did the NCT before Christmas and needed to get a repair done which in turn uncovered a bizzare issue with the car. I won't go into the detail of this to keep it reasonably anonymous but to sort it out the garage i was dealing with for the original fix said it would be maybe 8-10 man hours so including material, close enough to a grand. A not inconsiderable amount obviously!

This wouldn't be a wear and tear issue and if i didn't sort it out, it could more problems. There is absolutely nothing i could have done, even if i was the most boy racer of boy racers in the world, that could cause this basically so the car was sold to me with this. To make matters worse, i'm just outside the 2 yr warrently i got with it. Note the car is a 161 and would be an expensive car relatively speaking....I have it just over 2 years......note that the fix that was required would have been an electronic fault that i wouldnt have known about so i strongly suspect it was sold to me like this, probably unbeknownst to the saleman to be fair.

So my questions is, do i have any come back on this or is it entirely up to the good will of the garage who sold me the car originally?

Anyone any experience of this scenario that might be able to give advice?

I'm not expecting the guy to cover the full cost but i'd be happy say if he could get it done at cost and split the cost with me but is that pie is the sky stuff?

Thanks for listening....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

failing emissions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

failing emissions?

Nope....nct issue was complicated but hopefully sorted now....I’ve made my peace with that even though I’m down about 500 for that....the more serious issue is quite bizzare to be honest....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It's vert hard to know without knowing what's wrong with the car but maybe, maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Ah here... What's with all the secrecy?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Doctor, please help me, Im really sick.

What are your symptoms?

Can't tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Without any specific, I don't know how anyone can advise you. If the fault wasn't obvious then I don't know how you have come-back with the seller. Is it possible to be a fault that is covered as a flaw from manufacturing - so you could take it up with the manufacturer?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have read the OP twice and still not sure what's going on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Seeing as this bizzare issue wasnt uncovered at nct,
    Is there a chance the repair garage was having you on re the bizzare issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So it's an expensive car, it's over 4 years old, you drove it for 2 with no issues....

Now you think the issue was there??? How do you come to this.

Just tell us what's wrong as this thread is absolutely pointless.

Is it the ECU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

M3 or A5??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,876 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can try using the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services act. If the part is not a common fault then buying 2nd hand is no different to new.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Did they discover an extra dip stick.

Ok ok jees, I know I’m trying to be cryptic but I just don’t want the situation to be recognised by the various people I’m involved with on this matter ie repair garage and the garage who sold me the car.....but f**k it if no one can give advice without knowing the detail then here we go.....car failed due to out of balance of front suspension...assuming The repair has addressed this, the fix involved rewiring the variable damper system.....in doing this they uncovered a sh*t load of water trapped in I think the under floor void where the modules are located...I’m being told that the door membrane is damaged or whatever on the left rear side so o assume they did a bit of rooting around.....they removed the water but alarmingly the rear seat floor well is soaking on the side they say there was a problem....I’m amazed I never noticed this before but I have found the amount of condensation inside when I get in first to be alarming so that’s obviously the reason....only reason this was uncovered was the nct issue.....so there, no more mystery....hope I can now get some advice....cheers folks!

ratracer wrote: »
    M3 or A5??

Close!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭User1998

To answer your original question.

No you do not have any comeback. You bought the car over two years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

edit this ah jaysis op its very easy to see what the car is from your post history if you want to be cryptic :D

mickdw wrote: »
    Seeing as this bizzare issue wasnt uncovered at nct,
    Is there a chance the repair garage was having you on re the bizzare issue?

I’m trying not to think that anyone involved here is not acting in good faith but there is a niggling sense that something isn’t quite right with all this....the floor well feels like a pan of water was thrown in on it it feel that wet and I’m struggling to understand how it could be that wet if it’s coming from below and given the amount of water that is seeping in....surely I would have noticed some wetness before it reached that stage.......I remember before with a previous car I inadvertently opened all the windows remotely and it poured rain over night..I don’t even remember that the floor felt that wet that time....

Filtering through all the wisea$$ replies, I don’t need reminding that the car is out of warrenty so I’m asking people for advice on negotiating a good will deal with the seller or if anyone has had similar experience sorting a latent defect with a dealer whereby it was good will...what approach might work?

edit this ah jaysis op its very easy to see what the car is from your post history if you want to be cryptic :D

Ha yeah, wouldn’t take a rocket scientist alright....not exactly an uncommon car all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was the car a UK import?

Sounds like it was in a flood at some point?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,876 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

User1998 wrote: »
    To answer your original question.

No you do not have any comeback. You bought the car over two years ago

You are wrong. Buying from a business you have a lot of protection and it is longer than 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

VAG cars are well known for potential of water ingress
    Through cabin filter on old A6 and Passat.
    VW Golf through door speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Ok ok jees, I know I’m trying to be cryptic but I just don’t want the situation to be recognised by the various people I’m involved with on this matter ie repair garage and the garage who sold me the car.....but f**k it if no one can give advice without knowing the detail then here we go.....car failed due to out of balance of front suspension...assuming The repair has addressed this, the fix involved rewiring the variable damper system.....in doing this they uncovered a sh*t load of water trapped in I think the under floor void where the modules are located...I’m being told that the door membrane is damaged or whatever on the left rear side so o assume they did a bit of rooting around.....they removed the water but alarmingly the rear seat floor well is soaking on the side they say there was a problem....I’m amazed I never noticed this before but I have found the amount of condensation inside when I get in first to be alarming so that’s obviously the reason....only reason this was uncovered was the nct issue.....so there, no more mystery....hope I can now get some advice....cheers folks!

Had a problem with a car where the ECU got flooded with rainwater because of a blockage of the drain tube from where the ECU was housed near the windscreen, also on the same car a sopping wet carpet in passenger footwell where the drains from the sunroof decided to part company with the half that was under the wheel arch. Most cars have drain tubes and holes so worth checking a few manufacturer specific forums to check its not a known problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

All cars get condensation, people suggest using an old sock filled with cat litter to get rid of that. I think you are going to have to find the source of the water leakage to make any determination about who the fault lies with to follow up. Does the door membrane imply the car was damaged in an accident?

Reminds me; I once went to get the spare tyre out of a car I had and the wheel well in the boot was half full with water No idea how it got like that and I had to pump it out. Never happened since - total mystery...

NIMAN wrote: »
    Was the car a UK import?

Sounds like it was in a flood at some point?

Yes, high spec uk import.....

ongarite wrote: »
    VAG cars are well known for potential of water ingress
    Through cabin filter on old A6 and Passat.
    VW Golf through door speakers.

Not VAG....near neighbour!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Yes, high spec uk import.....

My money is on an insignia....

And the problem being looming engine failure, oil issue ?

All cars get condensation, people suggest using an old sock filled with cat litter to get rid of that. I think you are going to have to find the source of the water leakage to make any determination about who the fault lies with to follow up. Does the door membrane imply the car was damaged in an accident?

Reminds me; I once went to get the spare tyre out of a car I had and the wheel well in the boot was half full with water No idea how it got like that and I had to pump it out. Never happened since - total mystery...

Repair garage seemed pretty sure it was a damaged door membrane issue....they said window tinters can screw them up but mine would be factory fitted so I’d say it wasn’t that.....could have been in a ding for all I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭User1998

Del2005 wrote: »
    You are wrong. Buying from a business you have a lot of protection and it is longer than 2 years.

So you think OP will get redress because there is some water under his carpets, over 2 years after buying the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

My money is on an insignia....

And the problem being looming engine failure, oil issue ?

Expensive!!! No....

Highly doubt it.....

Is it a merc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Expensive!!! No....

Highly doubt it.....

Is it a merc

Oh so is it a timing chain issue ?

Advertisement