Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter's alleged bias towards left-wing trolls.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Tony EH wrote: »
    74d.jpg

Silly boy.

In a two horse race (as in the US) where one party is right leaning conservative and the other is far right extremists then yeah, in that situation the former party would be the 'left'. They're relative terms, this isn't complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭newhouse87

https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/status/864522009048494080

Never taken down, how people on both sides cant agree there is double standards at play is unfathomable.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

YOUR own fault
    you have accepted the restriction of FREE SPEECH.
    this hides facts and the actual criminal corrupt.
    The fear of "anything goes" situation and any ensueing damage\violence\alleged harm to society
    has been used and abused by the political classes to silence and control you.
    Recent court judgement allowed alternative opinions instead of silencing the individual\s.
    WHAT majority has failed to realise and been taught to accept is a lie.
    need to remind ALL voice an opinion and support with fact along with accept new facts that change your
    stance and hence your opinion has to change.
    You since 1980s have been fed lies using twisted words and sentences and have accepted them as media
    and governments have hidden the truth behind fake national security etc, laws.
    just what has FF\FG agreed to pay for the vaccines and how much actual cash has been promised
    to the private hospitals (which should be taken over for period of pandemic with pay sscales etc. at the public rate).
    Why is ireland not buying the 10 dollar russian vaccine -- oh the government cowards are just licking eu arse.
    whilst little sign of mass vaccinations and help the citizens not profit.
    YOU are responsible and will i know shrug and fail to confront the elected NOW -

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

In a two horse race (as in the US) where one party is right leaning conservative and the other is far right extremists then yeah, in that situation the former party would be the 'left'. They're relative terms, this isn't complicated.

I see you want to double down on your silly, simplistic, nonsense.

Have at it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

newhouse87 wrote: »

Never taken down, how people on both sides cant agree there is double standards at play is unfathomable.

I don't think you understand what double standard actually means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

jelem wrote: »
    YOUR own fault
    you have accepted the restriction of FREE SPEECH.
    this hides facts and the actual criminal corrupt.
    The fear of "anything goes" situation and any ensueing damage\violence\alleged harm to society
    has been used and abused by the political classes to silence and control you.
    Recent court judgement allowed alternative opinions instead of silencing the individual\s.
    WHAT majority has failed to realise and been taught to accept is a lie.
    need to remind ALL voice an opinion and support with fact along with accept new facts that change your
    stance and hence your opinion has to change.
    You since 1980s have been fed lies using twisted words and sentences and have accepted them as media
    and governments have hidden the truth behind fake national security etc, laws.
    just what has FF\FG agreed to pay for the vaccines and how much actual cash has been promised
    to the private hospitals (which should be taken over for period of pandemic with pay sscales etc. at the public rate).
    Why is ireland not buying the 10 dollar russian vaccine -- oh the government cowards are just licking eu arse.
    whilst little sign of mass vaccinations and help the citizens not profit.
    YOU are responsible and will i know shrug and fail to confront the elected NOW -

Whatever you are smoking, pass it here lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭newhouse87

I don't think you understand what double standard actually means.

I wouldn't understand your meaning of double standards is what you mean, and that's perfectly fine with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I was just watching a newspiece story about Elon Musk criticising the West Coast tech companies and censorship.
    So I typed "Elon Musk Twitter" into Google, no recent hits.
    I then tried "Elon Musk West Coast", still nothing.

So I said what hits will I get if I try Duck Duck Go ?
    Loads and loads

Censorship is alive and well on Google it would seem.

Got a screenshot of that lad? Because I just Googled the exact same thing and instantly got the usual results.

Its people of a given opinion not wanting people to see other opinions and removing access to platforms that could potentially show those other opinions.
    Its quite similar.

In the same way that an orange and an apple are similar. They're both fruit, but that's about it.

Uganda making it illegal and actively blocking out form of communication is no different to when some countries turn off the internet entirely. That is Government enforced curtailing of speech and free communication.

Trump and a bunch of Q-Anon people getting banned by a private company is because they repeatedly violated site rules. Same as if you got banned from here for breaking site rules.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,143 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

newhouse87 wrote: »

I don't see the words "stolen" or "fraud" there???

And I'm sure you were aware that mueller DID actually find evidence of Russian tampering and interference (in other words, hijacking) in the 2016 election.

So what Nancy tweeted = proven
    What trump tweeted = lies

You need to reassess what "double standards" means to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Sonics2k wrote: »
    In the same way that an orange and an apple are similar. They're both fruit, but that's about it.

Uganda making it illegal and actively blocking out form of communication is no different to when some countries turn off the internet entirely. That is Government enforced curtailing of speech and free communication.

Trump and a bunch of Q-Anon people getting banned by a private company is because they repeatedly violated site rules. Same as if you got banned from here for breaking site rules.

If you believe that silencing political opinions/opposition you are a fascist, it is that simple no matter what flimsy excuse you use to justify it.

Why not go one further and dehumanize them like the Washington Post did recently

https://thespectator.info/2020/12/21/washington-post-cartoon-depicts-republicans-as-rats-is-horrible-history-repeating-itself/

Where have we seen this before!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

If you believe that silencing political opinions/opposition you are a fascist, it is that simple no matter what flimsy excuse you use to justify it.

Why not go one further and dehumanize them like the Washington Post did recently

https://thespectator.info/2020/12/21/washington-post-cartoon-depicts-republicans-as-rats-is-horrible-history-repeating-itself/

God, if only! The ideology of fascism is notoriously difficult to define and has been debated for donkeys years by historians and political scientists. Better get in touch and let them know you've had the key all along!

Jesus christ though, that cartoon. I'm no fan of those people at all but that's horrendous.

I'd find myself in agreement with FTA69's excellent posts in this thread. I hope that in time social media will gradually move to more open-source self-hosted models like Mastodon, a fairly new decentralized social network that I've heard good things about but have yet to try. Seems bonkers that the world's politicians are doing a significant amount of outreach on a private platform based in California.

The OP said 'pretty much the same thing', the poster you quoted said similar. They are pretty much the same thing, read: similar, for the reasons I outlined. As such, the point stands.

Haha nobody is getting out of it that easily.

Fascism and communism are not remotely the same.

Your point does not stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

If you believe that silencing political opinions/opposition you are a fascist

Daddy Trump hasn't been silenced, stop crying. Trump was kicked off Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The lads on here are waaay ahead of ya. :o
    Originally Posted by ancapailldorcha View Post
    We're dealing with an army of ill-informed human refuse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just get great schadenfreude from all the right wing snowflakes getting upset that their ability to spout bigoted, racist and authoritarian drivel and incite violence is being curtailed. Then they completely misinterpret free speech laws to suit their agenda when what they are actually experiencing is free speech laws working effectively.

Free speech doesn't give you free reign to say what you want and not face repercussions, such as getting banned from twitter. If you are getting banned for the stuff because people don't want to hear it maybe you need to take a look at yourself and wonder is it them or are you the arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you are getting banned for the stuff because people don't want to hear it maybe you need to take a look at yourself and wonder is it them or are you the arsehole.
    It's usually them who are usually wildly hateful and racist themselves. But just against the "correct" groups. Protected my Mr Dorsey himself.

eB2TnVp.png
    RVZczon.png

Fascism - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org › wiki › Fascism
    Fascism (/ˈfæʃɪzəm/) is a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition and strong regimentation of society and of the economy which came to prominence in early 20th-century Europe

Conservatives have fought tooth and nail for literal decades in the US to push and promote free enterprise and light restrictions for corporations, and were damn fine with it up until recently.

Trump was kicked off a private platform due to his repeated lies, verbal attacks on his colleagues and promoting violance against others.

He is the President of the US, and should have the basic ability to conduct himself as a grown up, and not a 13 year old who's been grounded and had their phone taken away.

Conservatives and right wing views have absolutely NOT been removed from Twitter, rather the most dangerous and aggressive posters have been removed from the platform, as is that platforms right to do so.

Ooh boo hoo, are the poor former allies of Trump abadoning him now that people have finally realised what a disgrace of a man he is. And let's just pretend for a moment that you don't know why the word rats is being used.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/like-rats-fleeing-a-sinking-ship-history#:~:text=The%20idiom%20like%20rats%20fleeing,for%20over%20four%20hundred%20years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Haha nobody is getting out of it that easily.

Fascism and communism are not remotely the same.

Your point does not stand.

They are in some respects similar. You selectively quoted what a poster said to make it as if they said they are the 'same thing'. Nobody said that. There are differences and similarities.

They're not similar.

There's the possibility that a tyrant my use each system to gain an authoritarian foothold as we have seen happen in the past. But both systems are quite different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Fascism is the devolving of capitalism into nationalistic authoritarianism. It is an inherently right-wing ideology and system of governance. This idea that the left are “fascists” etc is nonsense, it’s an oxymoron. Because of the negative connotations of the word “fascism” people seem to think it’s a catch-all term of abuse for stuff they don’t like. It isn’t, it’s a relatively specific thing.

Things like being racist, being extremely conservative, saying nasty things, not having a parliamentary democracy, using violence etc aren’t necessarily fascist - even if they’re things that some people find repugnant.

At the moment there is a visibly far right current that has emerged in politics, while some of these people are fascists the vast majority aren’t. The far-right at the moment is a very amorphous thing that often consists of a multitude of different perspectives and priorities.

Put it this way, Donald Trump talking sh*t about Mexicans isn’t in itself fascism. When fascism does arrive you’ll know about it, to be blunt.

They are in some respects similar. You selectively quoted what a poster said to make it as if they said they are the 'same thing'. Nobody said that. There are differences and similarities.

I'll ignore my initial response which was to a stupid joke.
    But like, in practice they're similar enough..
    This is the post I originally responded to...

In practice, communism and fascism are nothing alike.

I'll ignore my initial response which was to a stupid joke.

Ok no problem.
    This is the post I originally responded to...

In practice, communism and fascism are nothing alike.

Look we will just agree to disagree. This all a bit pointless and off topic tbh.

Ok no problem.

Look we will just agree to disagree. This all a bit pointless and off topic tbh.

We can't agree to disagree as you're objectively wrong.

And it's not off-topic as we're talking about the alleged preferential treatment lefties get on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

FTA69 wrote: »
    Fascism is the devolving of capitalism into nationalistic authoritarianism. It is an inherently right-wing ideology and system of governance. This idea that the left are “fascists” etc is nonsense, it’s an oxymoron. Because of the negative connotations of the word “fascism” people seem to think it’s a catch-all term of abuse for stuff they don’t like. It isn’t, it’s a relatively specific thing.

Things like being racist, being extremely conservative, saying nasty things, not having a parliamentary democracy, using violence etc aren’t necessarily fascist - even if they’re things that some people find repugnant.

At the moment there is a visibly far right current that has emerged in politics, while some of these people are fascists the vast majority aren’t. The far-right at the moment is a very amorphous thing that often consists of a multitude of different perspectives and priorities.

Put it this way, Donald Trump talking sh*t about Mexicans isn’t in itself fascism. When fascism does arrive you’ll know about it, to be blunt.

If this thread has shown anything at all, is that people throw around terms like "far left", "far right", "Fascism" and "Communism" without have the first clue as to what those terms actually mean and how they apply to political theory.

They're just mindless terms for their figures of hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Tony EH wrote: »
    If this thread has shown anything at all, is that people throw around terms like "far left", "far right", "Fascism" and "Communism" without have the first clue as to what those terms actually mean and how they apply to political theory.

They're just mindless terms for their figures of hate.

This is it like. We live in an era of unprecedentedly unregulated free market capitalism with wealth concentrated at the top like never before and there’s people who swear blind that we live in an era of “communism”, “Marxism”, “cultural Marxism” etc. It’s absolutely nuts. There seems to be an obsession over political aesthetics (culture wars, tone policing, right on beliefs) rather than actual politics eg who owns what and questions of power etc.

Like here in Britain we have a right-wing Tory Party in power for the past 15 years, increased privatisation, public services falling apart and accelerating social and economic inequality and there’s people who will swear blind we’re on the verge of turning into Cuba because they’re too busy focusing on identitarian issues.

As the late George Carlin said...

“When fascism comes to America, it will not be in brown and black shirts. It will not be with jack-boots. It will be Nike sneakers and Smiley shirts...”

:rolleyes:

I am not objectively wrong. Your whole argument is backwards. In theory they are different but in practice similar (which is what my point is). Both systems/ideologies result in severe income inequality, both lead to brutal oppression of dissenters, are highly authoritarian, are anti-democratic, means of production are ultimately directed by the state, both give little prominence to the individual etc.
    And it's not off-topic as we're talking about the alleged preferential treatment lefties get on Twitter.

Which has got nothing to do with the differences/similarities between fascism and communism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

George Carlin said Fascism in America would wear nikes and a smiley face.

Whats really interesting is those that who are trying to defend the corporations don't even try to make good faith arguments, what you get is obtuseness ("but technically thats not fascism") and resorting to labelling everyone else racists and bigots...or human refuse.:o

Advertisement