Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wake up alarm

• 12-01-2021 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭

Waking up to an alarm has been a problem for me for the last 10 years.
    Luckily my wife has sharp elbows so I could rely on being woken up reasonably quickly after my alarm started going off.
    But without her, I'd need fairly industrial level acoustics to wake me up.
    I tried the light activated alarm, but I'm a heavy sleeper and it could be an hour before I'd notice.

Recently, thanks to a new puppy and having to get up in the middle of the night I've found a solution that works for me and might work for others.
    It also means I don't wake up everyone else in the house first.
    I cover my forearm with an elasticated bandage, one like this,

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/258258576

...set my phone to vibrate only, and slip it inside the bandage on the inside of my arm. It's not uncomfortable there, hasn't affected my sleeping and has been 100% successful over the past 2 months.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Righty

josip wrote: »
    Waking up to an alarm has been a problem for me for the last 10 years.
    Luckily my wife has sharp elbows so I could rely on being woken up reasonably quickly after my alarm started going off.
    But without her, I'd need fairly industrial level acoustics to wake me up.
    I tried the light activated alarm, but I'm a heavy sleeper and it could be an hour before I'd notice.

Recently, thanks to a new puppy and having to get up in the middle of the night I've found a solution that works for me and might work for others.
    It also means I don't wake up everyone else in the house first.
    I cover my forearm with an elasticated bandage, one like this,

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/258258576

...set my phone to vibrate only, and slip it inside the bandage on the inside of my arm. It's not uncomfortable there, hasn't affected my sleeping and has been 100% successful over the past 2 months.

Thanks for the advice, I suffer from the very same thing, did you know that you can set an alarm on a fitbit? Vibrates and all, I have yet to get one but I heard it works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭josip

Righty wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, I suffer from the very same thing, did you know that you can set an alarm on a fitbit? Vibrates and all, I have yet to get one but I heard it works very well.

That makes sense and I suppose any smart watch could also do the same.
    A bit more MacGyver elegant than my A-team solution :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've a sunrise alarm clock that I got in Lidl; https://www.thesun.ie/fabulous/3309252/people-are-going-wild-over-lidls-26-99-wake-up-light-which-is-170-cheaper-than-other-versions/

It helps wake after this "Sonic Bomb " alarm clock goes off.

The great thing about the sonic bomb is that you can adjust the tone from high to low tone, as well as volume. Furthermore, it flashes red at the front, and has a vibrating pad that you put under your pillow to further wake you the eff up!

Please note, at high volume, you'll hear it in other rooms, and downstairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭joanmul

the_syco wrote: »
    I've a sunrise alarm clock that I got in Lidl; https://www.thesun.ie/fabulous/3309252/people-are-going-wild-over-lidls-26-99-wake-up-light-which-is-170-cheaper-than-other-versions/

It helps wake after this "Sonic Bomb " alarm clock goes off.

The great thing about the sonic bomb is that you can adjust the tone from high to low tone, as well as volume. Furthermore, it flashes red at the front, and has a vibrating pad that you put under your pillow to further wake you the eff up!

Please note, at high volume, you'll hear it in other rooms, and downstairs!

I got one similar to that years ago in DeafHear. Lidl probably wasn’t around then! I’d say it’s very cost effective. It’s great for important things - I don’t use mine on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I miss my phone vibrating a lot. So miss alarms a lot. My solution is vibrating smart watch. The first one I had a cheaper Garmin had weak vibration. I've since tried and switched to Samsung and Fitbit they had much better vibration. I don't sleep with it on though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The Sonic Bomb vibrating pad is about 10cm wide. If it doesn't wake you up, if it hits the headboard, it'll stock knocking very loudly.

Advertisement