Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New exhaust requiring remap- Triumph Street Triple

Options
  • 11-01-2021 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I am looking for a new exhaust (slip on) for my 2014 Street Triple. I have been doing a bit of research and there is not many exhausts still available for the bike, a few uncomfortably loud ones, a couple of second hand Arrow's (what I really want) and a couple of other options.

From reading some people on US & UK forums say to get a remap done and your local Triumph dealer will do this for £25-£30. The Triumph dealer is out in Ballymount but excuse me for being cynical , but I can't see them doing a remap for €50. I understand they are closed so I cannot check atm. Some say there is no need and bike ran fine after fitting.

Does anyone have any experience with remaps after exhaust fitting, the requirement and if anyone has info on the street triple specifically.

Thanks all as ever! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I'd call them to find your answer if i was you, then you can confirm cost and if a map exists etc. You might even find they can recommend a can that they have a map for to help you with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Give Gary in Mototuning a call. He will let you know if it needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bigserious1

Did you check out Tuneecu? I think they have free maps for the street triple.

I used it for aftermarket exhausts for my thruxton and its very handy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

You don't need an ecu remap for any slip on. You might lose or gain a 1 bhp but it's not going to damage anything.

You are right, Ducati ballymount will charge you alot more than 50, in fact I'm pretty sure they don't have a Dyno so I don't see how they can even do it properly, plus the fact no one in their has a clue including the mechanic's.

To give a bit more detail, modern bikes are fuel injected. I presume yours is, it will have a lambda sensor in the downpipe that will tell the computer what % fuel/air ratio/back pressure is and will adjust the fuel mixture accordingly.

It's not exact, like a race team isn't going to rely on it and will tune the ECU but for a road bike with just a slip on its more than adequate.

If it was a full system then it would be a different story and you would need it remapped.

If it gives you any comfort in doing it I just put a slip on my brand new bike and you can be damn sure I wasn't paying BMW or anyone
    else forr a remap on a slip on

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waillee123

Did you check out Tuneecu? I think they have free maps for the street triple.

I used it for aftermarket exhausts for my thruxton and its very handy to use.

I'll look into this, thanks :)

• Advertisement

Goose81 wrote: »
    You don't need an ecu remap for any slip on. You might lose or gain a 1 bhp but it's not going to damage anything.

You are right, Ducati ballymount will charge you alot more than 50, in fact I'm pretty sure they don't have a Dyno so I don't see how they can even do it properly, plus the fact no one in their has a clue including the mechanic's.

To give a bit more detail, modern bikes are fuel injected. I presume yours is, it will have a lambda sensor in the downpipe that will tell the computer what % fuel/air ratio/back pressure is and will adjust the fuel mixture accordingly.

It's not exact, like a race team isn't going to rely on it and will tune the ECU but for a road bike with just a slip on its more than adequate.

If it was a full system then it would be a different story and you would need it remapped.

If it gives you any comfort in doing it I just put a slip on my brand new bike and you can be damn sure I wasn't paying BMW or anyone
    else forr a remap on a slip on

I get all of your points here Goose, this would be the case for most brands but Triumph do release maps for certain exhaust systems for free, even for slip ons, they're generic maps but they would have been dyno'd and tested already. I think you can buy the cable for around 30 or so and do it yourself or the triumph dealer can do it. Certainly that's how it works in the UK and the continent but as you mentioned that might not be the case here. Personally if Installed a slip on, I wouldn't care but if there's a free or very cheap map available specific to my bike and can I'd try and find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

zubair wrote: »
    I get all of your points here Goose, this would be the case for most brands but Triumph do release maps for certain exhaust systems for free, even for slip ons, they're generic maps but they would have been dyno'd and tested already. I think you can buy the cable for around 30 or so and do it yourself or the triumph dealer can do it. Certainly that's how it works in the UK and the continent but as you mentioned that might not be the case here. Personally if Installed a slip on, I wouldn't care but if there's a free or very cheap map available specific to my bike and can I'd try and find it.

Agree, if its free or very cheap like 30 quid I might get it done but other than that I wouldnt bother.

More interesting for me because I like to tinker would be can you buy a cheap cable to connect to the ecu and map it yourself with free software and maps, that would be good fun. Might be a route for the poster to look at

Goose81 wrote: »
    Agree, if its free or very cheap like 30 quid I might get it done but other than that I wouldnt bother.

More interesting for me because I like to tinker would be can you buy a cheap cable to connect to the ecu and map it yourself with free software and maps, that would be good fun. Might be a route for the poster to look at

To do it yourself tuneecu is popular and cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waillee123

Thanks lads, agree on your points. I am not expecting 10% power increase but Triumph's, from what I have read are temperamental little yokes and supposedly can run a bit rough or rich without the map.

I am going to try and use the tuneecu and do it myself. Worse comes to worst, I'll check with Triumph. As you said Zubair, UK dealers will do it for little money, if not, I will look elsewhere. :)

Thanks as ever...

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Waillee123 wrote: »
    Thanks lads, agree on your points. I am not expecting 10% power increase but Triumph's, from what I have read are temperamental little yokes and supposedly can run a bit rough or rich without the map.

I am going to try and use the tuneecu and do it myself. Worse comes to worst, I'll check with Triumph. As you said Zubair, UK dealers will do it for little money, if not, I will look elsewhere. :)

Thanks as ever...

Dave

Get a lonelec cable if you are going at tunecu.
    Simple enough to use anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Japcati2020

Dont go near Triumph Dublin,bunch of clowns out there.
    Gary in Mototuning or Steve in NDM will get you a proper power increase and even better midrange too. Bike will be run on the dyno and live mapped to get you the best result.
    None of this generic map crap either
    TuneECU is good,but can cause problems if you dont know what you are at or doing.
    You can **** up the ecu from not knowing what you are doing.

Advertisement