Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you had a Poinsettia, how long did it last?

• 11-01-2021 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

We got one from M&S... twas so beautiful - and lasted so much longer than I expected.. but I sent it to heaven today... miss it now... flowers on the shopping list for tomorrow....

Just curious, those of you who had one, how long did it last?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭F1fan

Forgot to water mine for emm, a little while...realised yesterday, took off the dead bits, and the two I have seem to be thriving again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We had one before that lasted until the next Christmas.
    The original flower died and a new one came that was green and you had to put it into darkness in the evening and out during the day for it to turn red.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

My two poinsettas are still going strong- for now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

It's still alive and vigorous. The red leaves/"petals" were pinkish though rather than red and started turning green very quickly, so I don't know if it's a different cultivar or what.

Phaelenopsis (Moth orchid) is a good choice of plant rather than getting flowers, if you can get it - they don't need much care and they have a very long flowering period, and unlike most orchids they don't go and die for absolutely no reason. A lot of supermarkets do them now, they're not expensive and very good value for money. Plus they are very beautiful plants. I've two in the bathroom that have been flowering every couple of months for several years now, not a bother on them:

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tTP1TcwyiouyDNg9OIpyEjMSUzNyy8oziwGAGVBCIo&q=phalaenopsis&oq=phaelen&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j46i10j0i10i395l5.3687j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I bought one a couple of weeks before Christmas in Lidl, it was a beautiful red. It was dead before Christmas :pac; in hindsight, I probably should have replanted it when I got it but there is no saving it now, it's just a stick in a pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭sporina

cool thanks for all the replies.. our local florist had to stop stocking them as they wer dying in their store (too cold) - and then I read how they don't like much heat/draughts etc... so I really didn't expect ours to last as long as it did.. had it over a month.. tbh I cudda had it longer but I was doing a house clean today and so just decided to bury it.. kinda wish I hadn't now.. like a few leaves and petals had fallen off it but it was still relatively ok.. oh well - it served us well for the time it was needed.. and more.. 1st year having one.. twill be a staple every year now :) they are so beautiful and festive

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Since mid Dec and very much still alive and thriving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

F1fan wrote: »
    Forgot to water mine for emm, a little while...realised yesterday, took off the dead bits, and the two I have seem to be thriving again today.

Mine may have not been watered. Like ever...... I was given it as a gift and forgot about it oops

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Got ours a month ago but it's been slowly shedding red leaves the last week. Is there anything I can do to save it? It's all I have left of Christmas other than the calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Give them a really good drink it you want to save them, still got 2 in great shape, love the vivid hit of colour they offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Feets

A year exactly. Not sure if I over watered or under watered it in the end. Lovely green leaves all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Got one mid November and it still has some red leaves on it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I can't remember the exact procedure but I think once the flower dies another one will grow but it will be green.
    For it to turn red you got to keep it in complete darkness for 14 hours and in the light for 8 hours for six weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Have one here in the sitting room still doing well. Was on a visit many years ago to one of the Irish growers. Told it should stay in flower for about six weeks. They are artificially have their flowering brought forward for Christmas in this country, by the use of light as Freshpopcorn says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

We once for a full year out of one. Just the right level of neglect seems to be key

Mine still have some leaves on it, got it back in November

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

Both of mine from M&S died this week
    Got to autumn with one a few years back
    Def don’t like drafts, had one by the fireplace last year and died overnight

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    Both of mine from M&S died this week
    Got to autumn with one a few years back
    Def don’t like drafts, had one by the fireplace last year and died overnight

I thought the draught in the hall might have damaged mine alright :(

Draughts and too much heat kills them very easily

A nice cool spot is perfect for them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Loyal Lady

Bought two in early December, one for my Mam & one for myself. Mam’s is still going strong (she has green fingers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭sporina

Got our xmas 2021 Poinsettia today - Centra €3.. wow.. I won't be so quick to chuck it this time round.. its v v pretty.. they are soo beautiful - and it will be our only xmas decoration this year (apart from candles) as I lost my Mum in Sept 😪 (RIP)... lets see how long it lasts ❤️

Advertisement