Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Hits.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Very few of the shows on the station appear to be live, Is Damien Farrelly 2pm to 7pm live?

Haven’t listened in a good while but I always got the impression that he is live. I’d imagine most or the content from 7am to 7pm is live. Perhaps not those repetitive “csi investigations” segments though. Time to knock that on the head if they haven’t already done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Haven’t listened in a good while but I always got the impression that he is live. I’d imagine most or the content from 7am to 7pm is live. Perhaps not those repetitive “csi investigations” segments though. Time to knock that on the head if they haven’t already done so.

It's a bad jaded alright.

In the early days of 4FM, presenter Jimmy Grealey used to have a segment called psi, which stood for pop scene investigation!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Jim is OK on his own, he's got a good radio voice, an experienced old school radio DJ. But he's clearly been forced into having a "zany banter" partnership with Gallagher and for the most part it is really painful stuff. It is very forced and very unfunny.

Dunno, I wouldn't agree, the two seem to get on well and the fun they have I think is genuine. It's the best morning show around anyway.

I know I'm replying to an old post, but it's pretty much on in our house every morning since March, it's a good escape from the misery that's been going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭prunudo

Hurrache wrote: »
    Dunno, I wouldn't agree, the two seem to get on well and the fun they have I think is genuine. It's the best morning show around anyway.

I know I'm replying to an old post, but it's pretty much on in our house every morning since March, it's a good escape from the misery that's been going on.

As double headed breakfast shows go its the least offensive, they play decent music and pretty much get on with it. Compared to the muck on Nova the lads are light years ahead.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Anyone know how Classic Hits keeps its head above water?

JNLR surveys are normally poor. Its actually not the worst which is mystery why it rates so poorly but how a station with that problem can can continue who knows.

Unless automating it more although salary bill must still be big enough ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The playlist is quite limited and therefore quite cheap. It's on in the backgroundat work from 7 until 3 every day, not loud enough to hear the talking but just the songs and the connection between the 7 to 7 promise and the amount of times I've heard Alanis Morrisette's biggest hit is not lost on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

JNLR surveys are normally poor. Its actually not the worst which is mystery why it rates so poorly but how a station with that problem can can continue who knows.

Unless automating it more although salary bill must still be big enough ?

I don’t think they have a big team involved. I think I once saw an ad for their receptionist and they also manage the stations social media?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

flazio wrote: »
    The playlist is quite limited and therefore quite cheap. .

Most stations have a very limited playlist circa 1,000 songs but that in itself does not reduce costs.

Classic Hits has changed ownership multiple times with the fresh investment keeping it a float.

It's original contract commitments have been greatly diluted which has greatly reduced costs - talk / news is expensive. With its music policy been allowed shift to the popular classic hits format the station has attracted higher audiences.

Shared news facilities and shared studio / transmission costs have also helped.

The original financial figures where horrendous with multi million pound losses.

Getting the right line up for breakfast was a master stroke but long term it probably needs to drop the Niall Boylan 2 hour break to music to have a real chance of better ratings and survival

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Will they ever get rid of the Hit Bit its a joke.

mikeym wrote: »
    Will they ever get rid of the Hit Bit its a joke.

Not as tired as CSI....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 TheJockster

Sure Nova and classic Hits will be the same thing soon, with the CEO and PD of classic Hits gone from last week and colm hayes from nova, dave kelly from fm104 prev and liam thompson prev from 98 taking over it's going to be a disaster. Watch them make nova go national, try get rid of classic Hits and again ruin another radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭prunudo

Sure Nova and classic Hits will be the same thing soon, with the CEO and PD of classic Hits gone from last week and colm hayes from nova, dave kelly from fm104 prev and liam thompson prev from 98 taking over it's going to be a disaster. Watch them make nova go national, try get rid of classic Hits and again ruin another radio station.

Say what, Hayes has gone from Nova? Please say this is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

prunudo wrote: »

That was my reading of it also but I think it's just the way it was worded.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 TheJockster

prunudo wrote: »
    let's see

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

See how long it takes for Hayes to get rid of Kelly and Thompson....P45's already filled out....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

See how long it takes for Hayes to get rid of Kelly and Thompson....P45's already filled out....;)

Aren't Kelly and Thompson going to be above Hayes? Other than board-level it seems they are set to run the operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lord Nelson

c
    KReid wrote: »
    Aren't Kelly and Thompson going to be above Hayes? Other than board-level it seems they are set to run the operation.

Brannigan is above Hayes and look how that's worked out? Kelly should have retired on a high instead of getting involved with a lost cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

KReid wrote: »

The expression "..my way or the highway" springs to mind....look at the cull at nova since he took over...yes i said "took over........"

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Who are the two lads on their way out there? Is it Sean Ashmore CEO?

The expression "..my way or the highway" springs to mind....look at the cull at nova since he took over...yes i said "took over........"

So what you're saying is the company has paid out to bring in two people with huge experience and at a huge cost, but Colm Hayes will object and the other two guys will be sacked? If that's what you are implying it's absolute nonsense, unless I'm reading wrong and you're saying Hayes is gonna get the boot, which makes more sense, but unlikely anything will happen until next year, maybe Nova will push for national.

• Advertisement

c

Brannigan is above Hayes and look how that's worked out? Kelly should have retired on a high instead of getting involved with a lost cause.

Is Brannigan not a shsreholder though?

This is from 2-3 years ago I know....

https://radiotoday.ie/2018/04/revealing-qa-with-nova-ceo-kevin-branigan/

c

Oh OK, I really don't know the management setup at all there, I just know Hayes joined up a few years ago as some sort of Programme Director role, but reading the press release it seemed Kelly and Thompson would be above everyone else on both stations...

Who has left their roles at Classic Hits and Nova so? Or is it just new role?

The actual owner of CH/RN is very wealthy.
    Sure Nova and classic Hits will be the same thing soon, with the CEO and PD of classic Hits gone from last week

Is Sean and Andy gone?:eek:

Shocked at that. What, Sean in particular, doesn't know about radio not worth knowing. Lives and breathes radio. You'd as likely find him half way up a radio mast than behind the CEO desk. About 10 years with CH.

Is Brannigan not a shsreholder though?

It's complicated. Is he still CEO?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Jank1

It reads to me that these two men have gotten newly created roles and no PDS/ceos have left either station. I'm not sure why now are they splashing out on new consultants, it's very hard to see Classic Hits making much future investment in programming when the economy will be in absolute ruin post covid and all the government advertising will have dried up when they didn't do it from 2015-2019 when the economy was growing, that bloody CSI is as stale as Fix it Friday was in the end

Anyone got a link to the referenced press release?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I can actually listen to CSI - it's PJ singing over a 'Classic' he's actually ruined 'Who are you' forever in my head .

Branigan still mentioned and quoted in this from yesterday.

https://radiotoday.ie/2021/01/bay-broadcasting-hires-dave-kelly-and-liam-thompson/

Branigan still mentioned and quoted in this from yesterday.

https://radiotoday.ie/2021/01/bay-broadcasting-hires-dave-kelly-and-liam-thompson/

Cheers

• Advertisement

Classic Hits has its contract with the BAI extended for a further 10 years.

https://radiotoday.ie/2021/01/contracts-renewed-for-classic-hits-and-radio-nova/

Advertisement