Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Hits.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Jim is OK on his own, he's got a good radio voice, an experienced old school radio DJ. But he's clearly been forced into having a "zany banter" partnership with Gallagher and for the most part it is really painful stuff. It is very forced and very unfunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭prunudo

I like it, saying that, I only get to hear between 6-7am. Music isn't bad and far better than the banter or text in content creators on other stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Gallagher actually makes me switch to Colm and Lucy and that's saying something.

McCabe is very good on his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Batty Boy

Changes to the Classic Hits weekend schedule are coming at the end of October as Owen Larkin departs.

Meghann Scully will take over Owen’s Saturday lunch time slot, from 11am till 2pm, in addition to her Sunday night Guaranteed Irish show. The former SPIN Hits presenter joined Classic Hits earlier this year.

Owen has been part of the Classic Hits schedule for over six years, but will be leaving to take on a new full-time role at Downtown Radio in Belfast.

In an email to staff, Classic Hits PD Andy Matthews said he was sorry to announce Owen leaving, and that “Meghann will be a great asset to the Classic Hits Saturday schedule especially representing Classic Hits on OBs with which we are always busy with at this time on Saturday.”

Owen is now listed as hosting 1pm till 4pm weekdays on Bauer’s Downtown Radio.

I thought Nikki Hayes was stretching it but someone who did their leaving cert within the past decade is FAR too young to be on the 45+ station.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Just listening to Niall Boylan now, it's feckin hilarious!!!
    Great radio ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Classic Hits have launched a Christmas digital station....

https://www.classichits.ie/hitmas/

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Classic Hits have launched a Christmas digital station....

https://www.classichits.ie/hitmas/

iRadio and a station in Cork (C103 maybe?) have done the same. Do enough people even listen to these digital stations to make the effort of putting it together worthwhile?

I’d rather listen to Christmas FM with presenters and a bit of interaction. Digital stations like that are basically the same as a Spotify playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Essentially competing with an established, completely voluntary and all for charity gig like Christmas FM is an odd PR move.

That Niall Boylan's daily blast of right wing ideology every afternoon has to be the most egregious use of the airwaves in this country. Chap should be shot with a ball of his own sh1te.

It also stops it being an all day work listen to all but the sickest minds, despite the fact the rest of the daytime programming is ideal work background music. Station would do well to keep him to the late evening slot.

I don't mind Boylan, it's good to get a different take on the world, since Yeats retired every other talk show on Irish airwaves is the same and nobody dares go against the grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It's grand on talk radio and podcasts where shock jocks and 'riling up the crazies' tactics belong.

It's jarring on an otherwise utterly inoffensive easy listening station.

Everyone will at least tolerate (and most enjoy) listening to classic pop hits. It's common ground for everyone. Not everyone will tolerate a preachy ideologue deliberately winding people up every afternoon.

• Advertisement

Anyone know why Boylan has two slots a day, is it to fulfil a 'talk' quota under their license?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Anyone know why Boylan has two slots a day, is it to fulfil a 'talk' quota under their license?

Seen as the night one is mostly repeats, nobody else needs paying that would be one anyway....

Also he is a contractor as in he works for himself I believe if I recall right...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Yes - the station - 4fm - promised the moon and stars in terms of talk content when applying for its licence.

The requirements have been reduced but 30 % speech is still required iirc.

Most of the content is a set up (allegedly) though in fairness other similar shows do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

None of the original presenters are left in the station. Owen Larkin was the last original presenter to leave but he had not been there all that time. Gareth O'Callaghan was the last original presenter, who had not left in between, to leave.

I'm not sure who came first to Classic Hits 4FM (as it was calling itself at that stage): Jim McCabe or Enda Murphy. I know Jim joined during the summer of 2011. I think Enda came just ahead of him from Radio Nova. In any event, they are the longest two presenters on the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

so would the 'talk' quota still apply if the night time show is a repeat ?

Given some stations play the same song 3 or 4 times a day don't see why talk would be classed differently, its still a % of broadcasted content.

Their ratings are not that great are they?

They have a lot of advertising which presumably helps prop it up but you'd assume if the format isn't rating how much longer can it be sustained?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

2ndcoming wrote: »
    It's jarring on an otherwise utterly inoffensive easy listening station.

Everyone will at least tolerate (and most enjoy) listening to classic pop hits. It's common ground for everyone. Not everyone will tolerate a preachy ideologue deliberately winding people up every afternoon.

Agreed. He's the only presenter who I refuse to listen to. I switch as soon as I realise it's him.

Other than that I listen to other shows on the station

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I would have thought that repeat broadcasts didn't count and the show was different in the past.

Such is the financial situation at Classic Hits and other stations rules are probably relaxed at the moment.

The ratings are much improved since the early days but the financial figures are eye watering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Very few of the shows on the station appear to be live, Is Damien Farrelly 2pm to 7pm live?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 32 ShlugMurphy

Gotta admit I do like listening the brainless stupid nonsense of Boylans show in the evening. It's a great release from the stresses of life to listen to people debate inane rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I don't see eye to eye on everything but he is a welcome change to the rehearsed other crap which follows the sheep and are afraid to voice concerns or question certain topics.

I stand corrected but I think Nikki Hayes and Dusty Rhodes are the only presenters in the current schedule that came from the pirates. There used to be quite a lot more, particularly in its first year.

I stand corrected but I think Nikki Hayes and Dusty Rhodes are the only presenters in the current schedule that came from the pirates. There used to be quite a lot more, particularly in its first year.

That is very surprising, however as with Sunshine there are only a handful of presenters on the station

That is very surprising, however as with Sunshine there are only a handful of presenters on the station

I just had a look at Sunshine's schedule. I make out three presenters with pirate experience, which is quite small : Carol Dooley, Joe Harrington and Sean Ashmore. I counted nine presenters, so that's one third.

Looking at Classic Hits. As I was saying, I make out two presenters with pirate radio experience. Again, I counted nine presenters, so that's two out of nine! Even worse odds!

Incidentally, Enda Murphy is a weekday presenter on Sunshine 106.8 and a weekend presenter on Classic Hits.

I just had a look at Sunshine's schedule. I make out three presenters with pirate experience, which is quite small : Carol Dooley, Joe Harrington and Sean Ashmore. I counted nine presenters, so that's one third.

I thought Robbie Fogarty would have been with at least one pirate?

I thought Robbie Fogarty would have been with at least one pirate?

I know that Robbie Fogarty was involved with community station Anna Livia/Dublin City FM before FM104 and 98FM. I'm not aware of pirate involvement - could be for all I know. According to Linkedin, he is the Deputy Programme Director of Classic Hits and a presenter. If the latter is true (and if he wasn't with a pirate), the gap is even further!

Incidentally, Enda Murphy is a weekday presenter on Sunshine 106.8 and a weekend presenter on Classic Hits.

Shared ownership between the two stations (and Nova).

Shared ownership between the two stations (and Nova).

I was aware of that. Enda Murphy came from Radio Nova. As did Sunshine 106.8 presenter and former Classic Hits 4FM presenter Carol Dooley. P.J. Gallagher and Damien Farrelly were guest breakfast presenters for a week on Radio Nova before officially launching their breakfast show on Classic Hits 4FM. Jim McCabe was moved from the breakfast slot to the mid-morning slot until eventually he was teamed up with P.J. Gallagher for breakfast...and the rest is history!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ste551

I don't thing many people listen to niall, its a very inoffensive show

Advertisement