Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBA - i5 v M1

Options
  • 06-01-2021 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hey guys, hoping someone can help with a (re)purchasing decision.

Recently got a MBA M1, tried to restore it to factory settings after initial set up and it went into this infinite loop of errors.

Called Apple, they said it was a known issue and they could help with their standard service proceedures or I could return it.

Returned it to the store, they were unhappy about refunding it, but admitted it wasn't the first.

Sales rep advised me to consider avoiding the M1 chip for now until it's sorted and get an intel based one (they didn't have any on sale, so no conflict there).

What's the current thought on intel v mac processors?

Is the M1 actually reliable? If I got a dud I can accept that happens.

But I don't want to be 6 months into using it only for it to die again.

It won't be used for anything crazy - web based apps, zoom calls, some MS office based stuff and the VERY odd bit of iMovie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

M1 all the way. In a couple of years, you won't be able to buy an intel-based Mac and support and apps will drift away from those machines. Given that Macs last years, this may be a consideration.

Why did you need to restore to factory settings a brand new machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Doodah7 wrote: »
    M1 all the way. In a couple of years, you won't be able to buy an intel-based Mac and support and apps will drift away from those machines. Given that Macs last years, this may be a consideration.

Why did you need to restore to factory settings a brand new machine?

I* set it up to pull all the files and settings off "my" old MBA.

Mid way thru I/she/we realised it probably wasn't a good idea, an idea that one of us suggested may not be the best at the start.

So off ..we.. went to factory reset it only to discover it's damn near impossible with some of the new MBAs because they breakdown in the process.

I don't know enough to describe the problem, but I do know we followed the steps correctly and apple / compub both confirmed it was a known problem.

Which is why I'm a bit concerned about getting another M1 variant BUT as it turns out it's damn near impossible to get an i3/5 one now anyway - so I ordered an M1 this morning.

*replace I with "my wife", for all of this

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

Hey guys, hoping someone can help with a (re)purchasing decision.

Recently got a MBA M1, tried to restore it to factory settings after initial set up and it went into this infinite loop of errors.

Called Apple, they said it was a known issue and they could help with their standard service proceedures or I could return it.

Returned it to the store, they were unhappy about refunding it, but admitted it wasn't the first.

Sales rep advised me to consider avoiding the M1 chip for now until it's sorted and get an intel based one (they didn't have any on sale, so no conflict there).

What's the current thought on intel v mac processors?

Is the M1 actually reliable? If I got a dud I can accept that happens.

But I don't want to be 6 months into using it only for it to die again.

It won't be used for anything crazy - web based apps, zoom calls, some MS office based stuff and the VERY odd bit of iMovie.

What store did you get it from? If Apple, they don't sell an Intel MBA anymore, you'd need to go for a MacBook Pro to get an Intel machine. But I'd seriously question the logic of getting an Intel Mac now, when you don't need one for what you say you want to do. I'm absolutely loving my M1 MBA and haven't had any problems (except with Touch ID) and - coming from a 2013 MBA - the speed and battery life are both unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

iniall wrote: »
    What store did you get it from? If Apple, they don't sell an Intel MBA anymore, you'd need to go for a MacBook Pro to get an Intel machine. But I'd seriously question the logic of getting an Intel Mac now, when you don't need one for what you say you want to do. I'm absolutely loving my M1 MBA and haven't had any problems (except with Touch ID) and - coming from a 2013 MBA - the speed and battery life are both unreal.

Came form CompuB, who true to form, were a complete PITA to deal with.

Have got it returned and ordered a new M1 MBA based off advise here.

Wife's coming from a 2012/3 MBA as well so I imagine she'll be blown away.

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement