Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economist & Policy Analyst Graduate Role

• 24-11-2020 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Has anyone else applied for this role? There's a presentation exercise this week but even with the familiarisation email it doesn't give a lot of detail.

They mention taking over the hosts computer during the exercise to analyse the data but there's no indication if there will be specific software available (ie: R, stata, excel, etc.)

I certainly feel a bit blind going into it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭exitstageleft

Well, that's a resounding no then!

For anyone wondering, the test using someone else's computer through Zoom was a real nuisance: there was a noticeable lag when typing and even more so when trying to hop between documents. There were no software packages available other than Word.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Well, that's a resounding no then!

You'll find more footfall in the AO megathreads, if you have not tried there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mogs121

Hi,

I had posted in the AO thread! I had mine too and found it very slow and didn’t get to write as much as I wanted given the time restrictions.

Mogs121 wrote: »
    Hi,

I had posted in the AO thread! I had mine too and found it very slow and didn’t get to write as much as I wanted given the time restrictions.

Cheers Mogs121! I wonder how many applicants they bring through to this stage. That presentation exercise seemed quite labour intensive from their point of view. I presume it'll lead to some pass and OOM, or fail and out, so we'll probably know more then

Cheers Mogs121! I wonder how many applicants they bring through to this stage. That presentation exercise seemed quite labour intensive from their point of view. I presume it'll lead to some pass and OOM, or fail and out, so we'll probably know more then

It seems from the document that they sent us that whoever reaches a certain standard gets through to the next stage so the number of people who pass probably varies from year to year?

• Advertisement

It seems from the document that they sent us that whoever reaches a certain standard gets through to the next stage so the number of people who pass probably varies from year to year?

I read it as whoever reaches a certain standard qualifies as "passed" but I thought it didn't necessarily mean you'd be called for a further interview.

I took the AO tests too and while the pass mark was relatively low, the results required to be called forward to the stage 2 interviews were much higher.

Anyway, I didn't do a great job of the written material so I reckon it's a moot point for me!

Presentation results are out.

Guess we'll find out in January if it an interview required a pass or a decent score on OOM.

Presentation results are out.

Guess we'll find out in January if it an interview required a pass or a decent score on OOM.

Saw them this morning! Maybe because the IGEES competition is smaller than the other AO competitions everyone who passes gets through to the competitive interview.

Has anyone heard anything back about the interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭emmaneiser

just got an update, check your public jobs

• Advertisement

Just heard back there: "We have so far called candidates who scored 326 and above". Unfortunately, that's not me!

They do say more people will be called to interview in February so I guess I'll see then.

Just heard back there: "We have so far called candidates who scored 326 and above". Unfortunately, that's not me!

They do say more people will be called to interview in February so I guess I'll see then.

I’m in the same boat. I wonder how many scored 326 or above.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 High_castle

For anyone wondering, the test using someone else's computer through Zoom was a real nuisance: there was a noticeable lag when typing and even more so when trying to hop between documents.

The lag was very annoying! It definitely slowed me down.

I actually scored more than 326 and will be interviewed this month.

The lag was very annoying! It definitely slowed me down.

I actually scored more than 326 and will be interviewed this month.

Fair play! If you get a chance, will you let us know how your interview goes? Cheers.

Will do!

Will do!

Good luck! Have they told you what type of interview it will be and how long? Thanks!

No, sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭crinkley

Can I ask more about the exercise you were asked to do, sounds awful with the lag etc. Did you have to write up a paper based on the data or manipulate the data? I'm thinking of applying for the PO and whilst i would have policy experience I'd be short on the economics side, send all that stuff out to the economists in our Department to do for us

crinkley wrote: »
    Can I ask more about the exercise you were asked to do, sounds awful with the lag etc. Did you have to write up a paper based on the data or manipulate the data? I'm thinking of applying for the PO and whilst i would have policy experience I'd be short on the economics side, send all that stuff out to the economists in our Department to do for us

You had to read 8 or 9 short documents, ranging from a news report to short data tables and then write a briefing paper indicating which of the three presented options you would chose and why. I think it was max 2000 words (but mine had significantly fewer!). This paper was worth 40%, I think, and your 10 minute presentation followed by 15 to 20 minutes Q&A was worth 60%.

You didn't necessarily have to manipulate the data a whole pile and, to be honest, there probably wasn't much time to do a deep analysis. You also didn't have access to any statistical software (ie: R, Python or even Excel). I did make some relatively simple calculations to reinforce my points however.

In the Q&A there were some questions which seemed as if they expected an economist type answer (cost-benefit, cost-effectiveness analysis, etc.).

I didn't get on amazing though so 'd be interested to hear what an actual economist has to say!

Has anyone heard anything about further interviews?

• Advertisement

Nothing so far here. I was thinking maybe the week after next though.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

Any idea how far down the list they got last year in terms of scores? Or even how many they call for interview in each batch? My score is around the 280 mark so I'm not too hopeful.

They add your score from the presentation with the score from the interview so I’m not sure what overall score would place well on the panel. I’ve never heard of them having a few different batches and panels, only the one panel.

They add your score from the presentation with the score from the interview so I’m not sure what overall score would place well on the panel. I’ve never heard of them having a few different batches and panels, only the one panel.

I'm wondering specifically about what score is good enough just to get to the interview stage. My understanding from the message they sent last week was that in choosing people for interview, people are drawn in batches: people with a score of 326 or better at presentation stage were called to interview in January. Then in February, the next batch with the next best presentation scores are drawn etc. Could be mistaken though!

I assumed they were just spreading the interviews out and then after the ones in both January and February they would make the panel with whoever scored best! I could be completely wrong though! I just don’t think they normal have enough jobs available throughout the year that would go through two panels. The last few years I’ve heard they’ve hired 30-40 a year.

I'm wondering specifically about what score is good enough just to get to the interview stage. My understanding from the message they sent last week was that in choosing people for interview, people are drawn in batches: people with a score of 326 or better at presentation stage were called to interview in January. Then in February, the next batch with the next best presentation scores are drawn etc. Could be mistaken though!

So I think everyone else who scored about 250 would be called in February.

Ahh I have you now! So not batches per se, but just spreading everyone who met the qualifying standard out over two months or so for the formation of one panel.

Yep, just got my interview date for February. Does anyone who has completed the interview in January have any tips or anything that struck them as specific to this competition in terms of questions etc.?

Fingers crossed and best of luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

I just noticed this thread about 10 seconds after starting a new one about the economist role with the civil service ..
    anyway think I'm in the same boat as a few of you, I must have got more the 250 but less than 326 in the exercise and I have an interview in February.
    Has anyone any insights into the interview itself?
    Also best of luck to yee :)

• Advertisement

Why do you think it's people between 250 and 326 being called?
    Might it not be between the qualifying score of 225 and 326?

I guess it could also be the case that the cut-off of 326 split the qualifying applicants evenly. In which case, any of us taking February interviews could really do with aceing them!

Advertisement