Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Announcing retirement

• 06-01-2021 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭

With many players announcing their retirement in the last week or so i quetion i have is this. When did player actually start announcing their retirement?

There's the famous line ''I never retired they just stopped picking me''. Maybe it's actually always been a thing and we only see it more now with social media etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭flasher0030

cms88 wrote: »
    With many players announcing their retirement in the last week or so i quetion i have is this. When did player actually start announcing their retirement?

There's the famous line ''I never retired they just stopped picking me''. Maybe it's actually always been a thing and we only see it more now with social media etc

That's funny. I was thinking about this myself last night. I think it's just the social media generation. Social media has created an element of attention seeking attributes to us mere mortals. Craving attention from other human beings. It kinda comes back to feeding the ego a little.
    Don't get me wrong. I have massive massive respect for these guys and all they sacrafice and the great times they allow us to have. I think the social media retirement announcements are the players looking a little attention. A bit of praise and commisserations etc. And there is nothing wrong with that. I'd do the same myself. Also keeps their name in the limelight for maybe a bit of TV/'radio work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Charlie Redmond announced his retirement at least twice. It’s not a new phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Key to do it publically one by one rather than at the same time or privately so everyone can have their ego massaged that little bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Seems an odd think to moan about personally. If you don’t announce it you’re constantly going to be annoyed by people you know and people you don’t asking are you going back or why you aren’t on the panel anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭cms88

That's funny. I was thinking about this myself last night. I think it's just the social media generation. Social media has created an element of attention seeking attributes to us mere mortals. Craving attention from other human beings. It kinda comes back to feeding the ego a little.
    Don't get me wrong. I have massive massive respect for these guys and all they sacrafice and the great times they allow us to have. I think the social media retirement announcements are the players looking a little attention. A bit of praise and commisserations etc. And there is nothing wrong with that. I'd do the same myself. Also keeps their name in the limelight for maybe a bit of TV/'radio work.

For example i can never remember Maurice Fitzgerald ever actually announcing he had retired from playing with Kerry. The other end of the scale you have Henry Shefflin who had a press conference when he retired!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

A lot of it is probably just down to the fact the game is more professional now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,712 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lot of retirement lately and the scary thing is none seem to be coming from Dublin in the football and Limerick in the hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

cms88 wrote: »
    For example i can never remember Maurice Fitzgerald ever actually announcing he had retired from playing with Kerry. The other end of the scale you have Henry Shefflin who had a press conference when he retired!

Two class acts in their own right.

I suppose it’s personal, some like the attention etc others like Maurice keeps the head down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Key to do it publically one by one rather than at the same time or privately so everyone can have their ego massaged that little bit

Who would begrudge players their day in the sun given the sacrifices they undertake?:)

Least they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

seligehgit wrote: »
    Who would begrudge players their day in the sun given the sacrifices they undertake?:)

Least they deserve.

Day 5 & 6 being postponed tells its own story :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I’m hearing that the Dublin team will be announcing a raft of retirements next week in the exact same manner. Supposedly being drive. By the GPA, giving each of their members their time in the limelight. Insane if that’s what they are doing. It’s more comical in real terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 greencardano

A lot of it is probably just down to the fact the game is more professional now.

Exactly. The more professional, the better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭flasher0030

seligehgit wrote: »

Least they deserve.

Too right.
    Most of the general public will never get a proper understanding of the sacrifices that senior intercounty players make. It's phenomenal. I know it's their choice, but they need to be commended for that effort. I don't just mean. I mean all county players across the country.
    I played at county underage, and I thought that was restrictive at the time. There is no way I could have done that for 10 years. Putting my life on hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I dont like the idea of them coming one day after the next, personally. But I suppose if they all go the same day, the media will start spinning that into something else too.
    It is hard to compare them to players from times gone by as fashions change for things. Id imagine if maurice Fitzgerald was retiring today he probably would announce it.
    What these retirements do show is that county squads are back in harness already, albeit not training collectively, which shows the level of commitment involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭thesultan

I think a lot of it is you'll be dropped or you can announce your retirement.. GPA put out statement then. Take you off any endorsement deals..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Saying its social media generation is a bit harsh. There's been players doing it for decades.
    Wouldnt call it craving attention. Simply telling people you are not involved instead of having to deal with people/friends/colleagues all asking you later in year when you back training bla bla bla.
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    Lot of retirement lately and the scary thing is none seem to be coming from Dublin in the football and Limerick in the hurling
    Most likely will be a fair few from Dublin soon enough. A lot of miles on the clock for a fair few of the dubs squad.
    Limerick have won two in three years but wouldnt be so sure they're going to be overly dominant in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

Did Maurice Fitz not actually retire??? I was fairly sure that he did and it was a big deal at the time?? Maybe my memory is playing tricks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I imagine players played previously until they were no longer selected as the commitment wasn't as great.

Now players retire when they would probably still make the squads. Its probably easier to make the announcement yourself rather than the manager have to face questions about why the player isn't selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭threeball

thesultan wrote: »
    I think a lot of it is you'll be dropped or you can announce your retirement.. GPA put out statement then. Take you off any endorsement deals..

I think this is half of it. Most have gotten the phone call saying sorry you won't be back next year. Do you want the CB to put out a statement that you retired or will you just say you were dropped from next years panel. Unless you think theres a chance you get back in like Connors and Shanahan then you just go with the retirement line to save face.

Advertisement