Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Argos RIP thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

bladespin wrote: »
    If (big enough if) they use the same inventory software for their imports (they bring a huge amout of stuff in from China etc) then the tariff codes etc are all there already.

I'm sure they do bring in massive amounts but up until now they have never exported anything so there is no reason to presume that their software supports the creation of export documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭bladespin

I'm sure they do bring in massive amounts but up until now they have never exported anything so there is no reason to presume that their software supports the creation of export documentation.

Same thing: commercial invoice and delivery note.

there is more to it than just a commercial invoice and a delivery note.

and just to put this to bed this is how export declarations are made. they are done electronically. you need an interface to that system. that interface needs to be developed. their current system will not have such an interface as they never needed one before

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/export-declarations-and-the-national-export-system-export-procedures

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Nope. It depends on a list of factors, not least of which is the percentage of any product made in the UK, the EU or a third country (which in the case of Argos isn't just China- its as likely to include Turkey and other third countries). This percentage of the origin components of goods- is key here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭bladespin

Nope. It depends on a list of factors, not least of which is the percentage of any product made in the UK, the EU or a third country (which in the case of Argos isn't just China- its as likely to include Turkey and other third countries). This percentage of the origin components of goods- is key here.

Does the item tariff code not cover this?

I'm quite curious as I've been importing and exporting to the US (and others) for years and it's never been very complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Kat1170

If Argos/Sainsbury's don't know how to import/export items then britland if even more fecked than anyone thought.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    If Argos/Sainsbury's don't know how to import/export items then britland if even more fecked than anyone thought.

it is not a question of knowing how. it is a question of having the software systems in place for exports.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Can you collect from Argos stores right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

degsie wrote: »
    Can you collect from Argos stores right now?

Not any more. Shop and collect is not permitted as of today, delivery only.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

'Non-essential retail will no longer be able to operate click-and-collect services, but can continue to operate on a delivery basis.

Existing orders may be collected.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I just checked and I can order a playstation game for collection tomorrow. Is it not just shops classed as non essential which have to stop? Argos would be classed as essential whereas the likes of GameStop wouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Caranica wrote: »

Was that not for the likes of clothing shops though ? Argos could argue as to why DID/Harvey Norman, Woodies etc are allowed open.

Caranica wrote: »

Their website appears to say something different:
    SERVICE UPDATE
    Following Government guidance, from 1st January 2021, our Republic of Ireland Argos stores are open for the collection of Click & Collect orders only. You'll therefore need to reserve your item(s) online and have your reservation reference, before coming to store. We are following social distancing guidelines and are therefore limiting the number of customers in store at any time. This means you may need to queue before entering. All customers will also need to wear a face mask and use hand sanitiser as you enter. Please click here for the latest updates on shopping in-store.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They haven't updated their website since the changes formally announced today.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I take it there's zero chance of them implementing a home delivery option on any items which currently don't have it available?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Home delivery the stock comes.from the UK so be in for a.long wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭jacool

Home delivery the stock comes.from the UK so be in for a.long wait
    Due to the punctuation, I read this in an internal Yoda voice.

jacool wrote: »
    Due to the punctuation, I read this in an internal Yoda voice.

Apologies for my poor grammar, was poor even for my low standards.

Are the stores opened today for collection of pre-reserved items?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Yes but you can not now reserve any new items only collect existing reservations. No idea what that means for items ordered but not yet in stock

• Advertisement

Yes but you can not now reserve any new items only collect existing reservations. No idea what that means for items ordered but not yet in stock

They will stop deliveries, so if it hasn't arrived it won't arrive now until they reopened , that said they are were having supply uses because of brexit.

Cheers wondering if it's normal opening hours, site has removed the detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Not sure actually this is such a cluster duck of a situation.

As it happens, just got a txt to say up to 20:00 to collect today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

FFS wanted to reserve something today to collect as Argos were open throughout previous lockdowns (I think) but now can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

FFS wanted to reserve something today to collect as Argos were open throughout previous lockdowns (I think) but now can't.

If you have a reservation code you can use the terminal in the shop. I reserved something but on the off chance it was in stock tried a code for something I wanted but hadn't reserved in time. Ordered it no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

fixXxer wrote: »
    If you have a reservation code you can use the terminal in the shop. I reserved something but on the off chance it was in stock tried a code for something I wanted but hadn't reserved in time. Ordered it no problem.

I dunno if I explained that right. I used the terminal in the shop to pay for an item id reserved previously, then ordered another thing in the shop that I hadn't.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

fixXxer wrote: »
    I dunno if I explained that right. I used the terminal in the shop to pay for an item id reserved previously, then ordered another thing in the shop that I hadn't.

I don't have a reservation code, and it won't let me reserve anything now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Anyone know the story with returns? I think it had been extended for Christmas returns to Jan 24th but now they're obviously closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Anyone know the story with returns? I think it had been extended for Christmas returns to Jan 24th but now they're obviously closed.

Following Government guidance, from Friday 8 January 2021, our Republic of Ireland Argos stores will be temporarily closed until we are advised otherwise.

We have extended our returns policy. Any purchases made from 18 October 2020 can be returned up to 30 days from the re-opening of non-essential retail in your area.

https://www.argos.ie/static/ArgosPromo3/includeName/service-disruptions.htm&mvt=ar:features:faq:updates?desktopSiteActive=true

Advertisement