Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any Christmas food left?

• 07-01-2021 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭

Was just wondering if anyone had much in the way of Christmas food (treats etc.) left over?

We have a fair amount this year, from having a nose through the cupboards last night we appear to still have:

1 and a half marzipan stollens
    6 x Cadbury selection boxes
    1 x Galaxy selection box
    1 x M&M selection box
    1 tub quality street
    1 tub heroes
    1 box of cadburys eclairs (toffee's)

6 x large bags chilli heatwave doritos
    2 x Dunnes spiracha chilli crisps
    2 x Large bags Tortilla chips
    1 x box of Tayto cheese & onion crisps
    A Freezer full of party food (sausage rolls, goujons etc.)
    (all these were in expectation of having family around NYE that we had to cancel)

Alcohol wise we have way too much too, again because of the NYE get together cancellation and with me off it for a few weeks that wont change anytime soon.

How are the rest of you in terms of christmas treats?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Haven't done a full infantry however know we have 2 boxes of mince pies, a few tins of biscuits, couple of Christmas puds, few tubes of Pringles and large packs of crisps & nuts, few bottles of wine and a good few beers, on top of normal levels. Have checked the best before dates on any of the food and will try to make sure they are eaten or given away as hate throwing away food.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    Haven't done a full infantry however know we have 2 boxes of mince pies, a few tins of biscuits, couple of Christmas puds, few tubes of Pringles and large packs of crisps & nuts, few bottles of wine and a good few beers, on top of normal levels. Have checked the best before dates on any of the food and will try to make sure they are eaten or given away as hate throwing away food.

Forgot I have 18 mince pies in the freezer & half a box in the cupboard too :eek:
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

One box of celebrations and one Christmas cake left.
    Hopefully there's nothing else tucked away.I need the tasty temptation gone!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We have ALOT left, like ALOT! We also consumed ALOT! I completely over-bought in 2020, i got it just right in 2019, so I will need to pull back in 2021. I think the gloomy 2020 caused me to go all out each week when picking up bits. And we were gifted alot in 2020 too.

1 x tub of Quality Street
    1 x Box of Tunnoks Teacakes
    1 x Box of Snowballs
    1 X large tOBLERONE
    1 X Small Cadbury Selection Box
    1 x Small Mars Selection Box
    1 x Large Lily O'Brien Box of Sweets
    1 x Packet of 6 Salted Caramel Galaxy Cake Bars
    1 x Natural Confectionery bag of Jellies
    1 X lARGE Sharing bag of Chocolate M&M's
    1 x Tesco Sour Cream & onion Coated Peanuts
    1 x Ben & Jerry's Minter Wonderland Tub
    2 x Pringles
    2 x large bags chilli heatwave doritos
    2 x Terry's Chocolate Orange

We can chip away at them as the Saturday cheat day treats over the next few months haha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    We have ALOT left, like ALOT! We also consumed ALOT! I completely over-bought in 2020, i got it just right in 2019, so I will need to pull back in 2021. I think the gloomy 2020 caused me to go all out each week when picking up bits. And we were gifted alot in 2020 too.

Could have written that myself. We definitely threw in some extra bits to lighten the mood.

Though our situation wasn't helped by the pace of the restrictions increasing as we bought loads for NYE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Loads left here too. 4 tuba of chocs, a few pringles and several sharing bags of crisps. Loads of Terry's choc orange products (OH went a bit overboard on these), boxes of matchmakers, box of chocs, 2 selection boxes, an awful lot of cadbury fingers, etc ...

We've put up anything dated in the second half of the year. The rest we're still tucking into.

It's the littlest's birthday tomorrow and he has requested a choc biscuit cake so that will take care of a lot of the chocolate bars and biscuits. And we'll open one of tubs tomorrow too.

Definitely won't be stuck for movie night treats for a long time.

Edited to add - tons of alcohol too. We'd usually have a few get togethers with friends and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,220 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I’m afraid to even look but I definitely over bought this year. I didn’t even open the personalised tin of Quality street :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Autosport wrote: »
    I didn’t even open the personalised tin of Quality street :eek:
    I don't even know who you are anymore. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

1 box of mince pies.
    1 whiskey porter cake.
    1 box ferrero rocher limited edition.

Not sure if it counts as purchased half price after christmas - Supervalu cheeseboard.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Posy wrote: »
    I don't even know who you are anymore. :(

Will it make you feel better if I tell you I’m wearing a Christmas jumper ;)

I think I’ll have to check and see what’s left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The mold on the ham is a bit gross to look at but still tastes alright with plenty of mayo.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Raichu

The mold on the ham is a bit gross to look at but still tastes alright with plenty of mayo.

Ah now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Nope. All gone. Didn't have much to begin with.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Nope. All gone. Didn't have much to begin with.

I guess you could say you completed it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

ELceFBnWsAAJkEr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Heroditas

One tin (note, tin not tub) of Quality Street
    One tin of Afternoon Tea
    One tin of Fox's biscuits
    One whiskey cake
    One pudding
    Assorted packets of other biscuits
    2 boxes of Ferrero Rocher
    3 other small boxes of Butler's chocolates
    2 large bags of peanuts
    1 box of Super Valu mince pies
    Also several blocks of quince

All unopened!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

6 bottles of wine
    1 tray of heino
    3 bottles of whiskey

2 packets of crisps
    also some goose fat I forgot to use on the roasties

Happy Jan to one and all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

I’m eating a chocolate Santy as we speak!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Also enough booze to float the Titanic but that's medicinal at this stage

Just finished the candy canes that were hiding on the tree.

• Advertisement

dubstepper wrote: »
    6 bottles of wine
    1 tray of heino
    3 bottles of whiskey

2 packets of crisps
    also some goose fat I forgot to use on the roasties

Happy Jan to one and all!

Can I call over? I have a kilo of homemade shortcrust and a jar and half of mincemeat I can bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Nothing left , even the whiskey got drank this year. Just did purchase another xmas box of cheese and onion taytos today because I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Did all right - drank last of the wine tonight:
    Still got a large Tupperware of home-made biscuits - all the neighbours have been given their boxes - I don't know what to do with these.
    A bit of chocolate left but not too much - let the austerity commence!

We've decided that next year we're not buying any tubs but will order a tin of toffee fingers, assuming post Brexit it's still feasible. We always end up being given several tubs and end up with loads of them. And quality street are the family favourites, toffee fingers especially.
    Boxes of king/tayto will be the only crisps, maybe a tub or two of pringles.

Although we say that every year....

I went and had a look and here’s what’s left

1 box of Foxes biscuits
    1 tin of Afternoon Tea
    3 Cadbury’s selection boxes
    2 Galaxy selection boxes
    1 tin of Quality street (personalised)
    1 multi pack of Tayto cheese and onion (16)
    2 boxes of After Eights
    2 Bags of Percy pigs jellies
    3 tubes of Smarties
    1 packet of M&S Orange/chocolate mallows
    1 M&S mint chocolate collection

A lot of these have next years best before date so will keep them for next year but certainly bought way too much,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Nothing at all really, apart from lots of cheese and crackers. Oh yes, and some rather iffy looking parsnips that might turn into soup if I can be bothered.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

We don't have much left, apart from some wensleydale, and crackers. And lots of gin. Lots and lots of gin. Some beer too I think.
    The last of the mince pies were had last night, there was some spiced beef leftovers still in tupperware lurking at the back of the fridge, but that was dumped a couple of days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

All in my belly unfortunately way too much in my belly. Finished eaten it during the week. In this house we've no will power at all. I couldn't slowly chip away at it once a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

Just had the last mince pie and half what's left of a plum pudding..with a cup of tea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

nada left now.. really missing mince pies.. we sampled quiet a few over the space of a month or so.. a mix of supermarket/homemade.. that was fun.. we bought some more after xmas (just cos they wer sale price {of course}).. but all gone now.. sniff sniff.. warmed with some custard the wer the perfect comfort food at night.. the cold weather isn't helping..

Advertisement