Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: Drivetime with Sarah McInerney & Cormac O hEadhra

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

What has anyone gotten out of McGrath? That is his style...speak plenty and actually say nothing.
    That's what all politicians do when they are let.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I don't be on here whinging when a Shinner gets a grilling Brendie...spot the difference here? If a Shinner got the grilling the Ryanair chap got or McGrath, you'd be on here gloating about how the Shinner got 'torn a new one'.

Other may not be able to see through your political protectionism dressed up as radio criticism, but I can.

Ooooh...... that’s not nice Francie, bit offside an all that.... no need for VAR on that one.

Very upset here.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Like Ms O’Reilly then, is he.

Man after yer own heart so Francie.......

Heard that beuer on the wireless a few times recently...does she ever draw a breath ?

How she can spew such obvious rubbish without being called out is a wonder.

Fingal voters very disenchanted my sources tell me..

Not surprised...

Heard that beuer on the wireless a few times recently...does she ever draw a breath ?

Not surprised...

Amazing stuff Nevin, has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,195 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not surprised...

Oh no...not the 'sources' again. Did they mention 'imminent' by any chance?:) :)

• Advertisement

Feargal Keane showing his true colors.

Totally anti government, and that can’t be denied.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Sarah is presenting the show from down a telephone line today.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Sarah presenting on whatsapp are something similar, did the intro to the show at 5.00 on her mobile phone by the sounds of it. Amateur hour.

amlinopta wrote: »
    Sarah presenting on whatsapp are something similar, did the intro to the show at 5.00 on her mobile phone by the sounds of it. Amateur hour.

Meanwhile Newstalk have been on since 1600.

Disastrous performance given the issues facing us.

Possibly due to the heightened Covid situation we'll be finding more of this kind of remote broadcasting quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,370 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sarah is presenting the show from down a telephone line today.

in her toilet.

She's probably at home in Galway for the Christmas. If so, she easily could have gone to the RTE Galway studio.

Possibly due to the heightened Covid situation we'll be finding more of this kind of remote broadcasting quality.

More down to cutting corners over Christmas than Covid in this instance

She's probably at home in Galway for the Christmas. If so, she easily could have gone to the RTE Galway studio.

How can RTE get away with this disrespect for their audience.

It’s incredible....paid an absolute fortune but work teachers hours.

Crazy stuff...... this is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Everytime I switch RTE 1 on expecting current affairs the last few days all I get is lazy RTE Gold. :rolleyes:

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Everytime I switch RTE 1 on expecting current affairs the last few days all I get is lazy RTE Gold. :rolleyes:
    Strange how Sarah was presenting remotely on Drivetime earlier but was seemingly live on the RTE New Year Countdown show on tv. Presumably living in Dublin as well. Unless the TV gig was a pre-record

Strange how Sarah was presenting remotely on Drivetime earlier but was seemingly live on the RTE New Year Countdown show on tv. Presumably living in Dublin as well. Unless the TV gig was a pre-record

I think that TV programme was a pre-record. It did not need to be live.

So I would say Sarah did her show yesterday from Galway.
    If she was in Dublin, she would have done it from RTE Radio Centre.

I’m really getting to dislike McInerney......... arrogant smug and sneering persona

I’m really getting to dislike McInerney......... arrogant smug and sneering persona

In fairness Brendi, it didn't start well...your first post on Sarah:
    Sarah comes across as a bit ‘shrill’ in the early minutes.

In fairness Brendi, it didn't start well...your first post on Sarah:

It didn’t Francie, and it didn’t get any better.

Very arrogant and hectoring interviewing style about her.

Seems to be her ambition to beat down and humiliate the interviewee rather than elicit real information for the listener.

Just my opinion Francie, an auld grunt with no authority:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

I think she's an absolute hero. Just listened to her castigating Norma Fooley there. She's a brilliant interviewer.

It didn’t Francie, and it didn’t get any better.

Very arrogant and hectoring interviewing style about her.

Seems to be her ambition to beat down and humiliate the interviewee rather than elicit real information for the listener.

Just my opinion Francie, an auld grunt with no authority:cool:

That's her job as a journalist Brendi, it isn't to make you or me or the guest feel all cuddly and warm.
    I'm sure I am not the only one who has noticed that your radio criticism clapometer only goes into the red zone when government ministers get the jab.
    Not an issue when others get it though...it's usually 'them getting torn a new one, huzzah huzzah!'. :)

Just my observation.

I think she's an absolute hero. Just listened to her castigating Norma Fooley there. She's a brilliant interviewer.

She is very good, reminds me of a young Marion Finucane who was similarly fearless.
    I think the duo are settling in very well in the slot. When party faithful fear you/demean you, it is always a good sign.
    We need robust journalism in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

I think she's an absolute hero.

Of course she is.

Heard the trailer for the show earlier...pretty heroic to churn out that kind of drivel and present is as being a news and current affairs show.

If there is a better example of proper interrogative journalism in Irish radio archives I would like to hear it.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21890779

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

If there is a better example of proper interrogative journalism in Irish radio archives I would like to hear it.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21890779

Ah c'mon...let's not loose the run of ourselves. I think Sarah Mc is pretty good (although I don't listen to the awful new version of Drivetime), but if I bothered to trawl through the archives I'm very confident I could find many "better examples of interrogative journalism" from Pat Kenny, Brian Farrell, Sean O'Rourke, Gerald Barry etc. etc.

Cole wrote: »
    Ah c'mon...let's not loose the run of ourselves. I think Sarah Mc is pretty good (although I don't listen to the awful new version of Drivetime), but if I bothered to trawl through the archives I'm very confident I could find many "better examples of interrogative journalism" from Pat Kenny, Brian Farrell, Sean O'Rourke, Gerald Barry etc. etc.

Similar maybe, but I would, as I said, be interested if you have one that is 'better'.

There is no 'shrill' 'hectoring' going on here, just probing questions not being left to the mercy of spin and evasion.
    Genuinely think she is potentially in the same league as Kenny at his best and O'Rourke etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

She's excellent and a babe too. :D

That's her job as a journalist Brendi, it isn't to make you or me or the guest feel all cuddly and warm.
    I'm sure I am not the only one who has noticed that your radio criticism clapometer only goes into the red zone when government ministers get the jab.
    Not an issue when others get it though...it's usually 'them getting torn a new one, huzzah huzzah!'. :)

Just my observation.

Doubt if anyone could make you cuddly and warm, Francie, but that’s an aside.

Her job as a journalist as I see it is to get information for the public, not to try to browbeat an interviewee and crow over it surreptitiously, as a kind of a throwaway remark.

The person to role model on is Audrey Carville, gets far more info with far less hectoring than McInerney.

The Vincent Browne tactics will only get you so far, real skill is the way to go.

• Advertisement

Doubt if anyone could make you cuddly and warm, Francie, but that’s an aside.

Her job as a journalist as I see it is to get information for the public, not to try to browbeat an interviewee and crow over it surreptitiously, as a kind of a throwaway remark.

The person to role model on is Audrey Carville, gets far more info with far less hectoring than McInerney.

The Vincent Browne tactics will only get you so far, real skill is the way to go.

It isn't a 'pick one' scenario Brendi.

Quite possible Audrey is similar or even better. I'm not familiar with much of her output. Is there a thread on her programmes?

Advertisement