Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Top Christmas Song of the 2000's

• 07-01-2021 9:42am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So this idea popped into my head curtiousy of the ChristmasFM thread there's actually been alot of recent new Christmas songs that are absolutely bangers that don't get the credit they deserve so it's time for their own thread, it's time to crown our favourite NEW Christmas song.

The rules;

1. No Covers, originals only
    2. The song is to be released sometime between 2000 & 2020.
    3. You may nominate as many songs as you like.
    4. You may re-nominate songs that have already been on the list (that will play into seeding the songs for the knockouts)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

My favourite is Sia 'Sants's coming for us'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Loughc wrote: »
    So this idea popped into my head curtiousy of the ChristmasFM thread there's actually been alot of recent new Christmas songs that are absolutely bangers that don't get the credit they deserve so it's time for their own thread, it's time to crown our favourite NEW Christmas song.

The rules;

4. You may re-nominate songs that have already been on the list (that will play into seeding the songs for the knockouts)

Ohh nice. Time to fire up the old Youtube :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Do we just post our nominations here or PM you?

• Advertisement

With no Christmas FM in the background I'm lost today!! Hence checking my playlists!! The amount of songs released post 2000 is low though!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Do we just post our nominations here or PM you?

You can post them here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    With no Christmas FM in the background I'm lost today!! Hence checking my playlists!! The amount of songs released post 2000 is low though!!

There were 3 alone in 2020 that deserve a nom, then after that you got Kelly Clarkson, Peter Kay, Coldplay, Leona Lewis, etc etc I won't say anymore, but there's more than you'd think.

There were 3 alone in 2020 that deserve a nom, then after that you got Kelly Clarkson, Peter Kay, Coldplay, Leona Lewis, etc etc I won't say anymore, but there's more than you'd think.

Oh I know theres literally 100's if not 1000's released in that time, but my standards are high, it needs to be of the highest quality to make my playlist ;)

Its just looking at my recently updated one (before christmas btw) that I noticed how many are from before then. Then again I'm no spring chicken:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Julian Casablancas - I Wish It Was Christmas Today

Goo Goo Dolls - This is Christmas

Removed as told it's a cover of an original.

Really liked this one from Robbie Williams, hadnt heard it in 2019 but did loads this christmas on Christmas FM

Wasnt sure about this one, but it grew on me the more I heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm nominating Under the Tree- Kelly Clarkson already above and Santa Tell Me - Ariana Grande

Mariah Carey - Oh Santa!

Status Quo - It's Christmas Time

I would also like to nominate the aforementioned Underneath the Tree by Kelly Clarkson.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Sia - Underneath The Mistletoe

Foil, Arms & Hog - Honest Christmas Song

RuPaul - Hey Sis, It's Christmas

Rembunction - Home For Christmas

I thought the video had been posted from reading a previous post. It turned out that it was a different song by the lady in question!
    I'm nominating Under the Tree- Kelly Clarkson already above ........................
    So here goes...

Kelly Clarkson - Underneath the Tree

The video that was actually posted:
    TRS30 wrote: »

That's a cover version - not an original!

The rules;

• Advertisement

The video that was actually posted:

That's a cover version - not an original!

Didn't know that, will delete it.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Didn't know that, will delete it.

Chuck Berry did the original. I have heard his version on Christmas FM on a number of occasions including its 2020 run!

Was nearly caught out on a cover myself.
    Really liked the Megan Trainor & Seth McFarland version of white christmas on Christmas FM this year. It was such a nice version it almost felt original, but obviously isn't & therefore is ineligible.

Better get my own nominations in, bare with me I've a lot;

Geraldine McQueen - Once Upon a Christmas song
    Status Quo - It's Christmas Time
    Ariana Grande - Santa Tell Me
    Coldplay - Christmas Lights
    Train - Shake Up Christmas
    The Darkness - Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End)
    TobyMac - Christmas This Year
    David Archuleta - Christmas Every Day
    Leona Lewis - One More Sleep
    Sia - Santa's Coming for us
    Sharon Sharon - Christmas Time Again!
    Robbie Williams - Time for Change
    Taylor Swift - Christmas Tree Farm
    Hudson Taylor - How I know it's Christmas
    Gwen Stefani - You Make It Feel Like Christmas
    Robbie Williams - Can't Stop Christmas
    The Goo Goo Dolls - This Is Christmas
    Gary Barlow - Incredible Christmas

And there was me worrying about putting up too many....

Great list there loughc, had forgotten about the Gwen Stefani & Blake Sheldon one, that's a great Christmas song (the video is worth a look too btw)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Was literally coming here to nominate the Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton song, cracker of a song.

DvB wrote: »
    And there was me worrying about putting up too many....

Great list there loughc, had forgotten about the Gwen Stefani & Blake Sheldon one, that's a great Christmas song (the video is worth a look too btw)
    Necro wrote: »
    Was literally coming here to nominate the Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton song, cracker of a song.

By de-facto I'm accepting these as nominations... as it'll play into seeding down the line.

Its bizarre, when loughc started this thread yesterday I went straight to my itunes playlist & spotify playlists & realised I had very few modern christmas songs (vast majority were the old classics), but when you go looking & think back to christmas fm (far more varied) there really has been some great additions since the turn of the century.

Looking forward to seeing more nominations now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

My nominations are as follows...

Taylow Swift - Christmas Tree Farm
    Coldplay - Christmas Lights
    Keith Urban -I'll Be Your Santa Tonight
    The Killers - Christmas In LA
    Meghan Trainor - I'll Be Home
    Meghan Trainor - My Kind of Present
    Jonas Brothers - Like It's Christmas
    Picture This - This Christmas
    Matt Terry - When Christmas Comes Around
    Sara Bareilles- Winter Song
    christina perri - merry christmas, darling
    The Raveonettes - The Christmas Song
    Dropkick Murphys - The Season's Upon Us

• Advertisement

My nominations are as follows...

Taylow Swift - Christmas Tree Farm

[Coldplay - Christmas Lights
    Keith Urban -I'll Be Your Santa Tonight
    The Killers - Christmas In LA
    Meghan Trainor - I'll Be Home
    Meghan Trainor - My Kind of Present
    Jonas Brothers - Like It's Christmas
    Picture This - This Christmas
    Matt Terry - When Christmas Comes Around
    Sara Bareilles- Winter Song
    The Raveonettes - The Christmas Song
    Dropkick Murphys - The Season's Upon Us

<christina perri - merry christmas, darling>

I have highlighted (in Bold) the ones I would nominate as well - some I did already! While I still like the Coldplay and Darkness songs, I am going off them somewhat so I'm not nominating them!

I put angular brackets around Christina Perri's song because it is a cover, which is a shame because it's lovely. It was originally performed by the Carpenters and Christina sings very like Karen Carpenter. I believe I have heard both versions on Christmas FM in the past! Curiously, I have not head that song at all in the last few years.

Advertisement