Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best dehorning Crate

Options
  • 05-01-2021 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Whats the best dehorning crate out there for suckler LMx calves?
    Some were too strong/big for our old crate (small for dairy calves) at 2-3 weeks old last year so i want to get a good strong crate for this yr. There seems to be a good few different designs out there now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

we have this one - would definitely recommend it, especially the broad plate under the belly.

http://www.d1086930.cp.blacknight.com/osmonds.ie/images/10622_Osmonds_Calf_Dehorning_Crate.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

we have this one - would definitely recommend it, especially the broad plate under the belly.

http://www.d1086930.cp.blacknight.com/osmonds.ie/images/10622_Osmonds_Calf_Dehorning_Crate.pdf

Thanks.

Interesting thats the same as the Condons one i was looking at. Must come from the same supplier

Thanks.

Interesting thats the same as the Condons one i was looking at. Must come from the same supplier

It came with a narrow nose strap which I replaced with a length of safety belt from a scrap car, much more comfortable for the calf, and they cant wriggle out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

How do lads get them into the crate easily and safely.

Ours are often 5 weeks before they have decent buds. They do be.....energetic!

Place the dehorning crate at back entrance to the crush and push them into it from there. We used to push them through twice, once for the anesthetic and back in again after it had taken effect to debud, but find it easier to inject them at the headlock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭50HX

Go the condon deluxe crate.....some job

Best restraining of a calf i've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

50HX wrote: »
    Go the condon deluxe crate.....some job

Best restraining of a calf i've seen

I’ve heard good things about them. What sort of money are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

Dunedin wrote: »
    I’ve heard good things about them. What sort of money are they?

They seem to be between €725 - €790.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Thanks.

Yeah, bought one tru osmonds a few years ago, but I could have bought it direct from condrons for €150 less

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

893bet wrote: »

Keep them in a small pen , easier catch them, they don’t need to have big buds to do them , in a lot of cases it’s a 2 person job really

• Advertisement

Keep them in a small pen , easier catch them, they don’t need to have big buds to do them , in a lot of cases it’s a 2 person job really

+1 on the above. I have done calves as young as 2 days old. Essentially everything gets done on a Saturday with me that has calved within that week. Buds will be small but they will be there in pretty much all of them and it’s limos I have.

Huge difference in grabbing a lad 1 week old versus 2 weeks. 5 weeks would be hard ask.

+1 on the above. I have done calves as young as 2 days old. Essentially everything gets done on a Saturday with me that has calved within that week. Buds will be small but they will be there in pretty much all of them and it’s limos I have.

Huge difference in grabbing a lad 1 week old versus 2 weeks. 5 weeks would be hard ask.

I got caught by a couple of LMx calves last year where they had nothing after 2 weeks but at 5 weeks they had and were too big at that stage to even handle safely, never mind fit in the little crate i have.

Ill go get that Condon one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Dozer1

got the teemore one here, similar to the ones above, works well, though the head height adjusters are a pain to use

https://www.teemoreengineering.com/crushes-handling/dehorning-crate.php

Dozer1 wrote: »
    got the teemore one here, similar to the ones above, works well, though the head height adjusters are a pain to use

https://www.teemoreengineering.com/crushes-handling/dehorning-crate.php

How much are these

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Dozer1

have it a since 2016 it was €700 plus vat....but I'm not sure what description was on the invoice ...cough cough

I got caught by a couple of LMx calves last year where they had nothing after 2 weeks but at 5 weeks they had and were too big at that stage to even handle safely, never mind fit in the little crate i have.

Ill go get that Condon one

There’ll always be the odd one. I had one calf a few years ago that didn’t put up anything for two months but that’s a rare exception. Generally I’d never have an issue at a week old.

There’ll always be the odd one. I had one calf a few years ago that didn’t put up anything for two months but that’s a rare exception. Generally I’d never have an issue at a week old.

Just checked one there and he is 5 weeks to the day and not a thing showing. Lmx.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

Just checked one there and he is 5 weeks to the day and not a thing showing. Lmx.

He mightn't have any horns, is there a bit of Angus in him?
    Had two 7/8 bred Lims here this year that have no horns at all, there would be about 4% Angus in one but no Angus in the other one.

tanko wrote: »
    He mightn't have any horns, is there a bit of Angus in him?
    Had two 7/8 bred alums here this year that have no horns at all, there would be about 4% Angus in one but no Angus in the other one.

Had a squint and the dam is 6 percent AA. Might be it. Will keep checking them weekly.

Bought the Condon today. 650e +vat. Serious step up from the crap flappy sided one which is going on the scrap metal pile. Picked up the Buddex gas dehorner too while I was there so old electric one can go. Hopefully less stress for both man and beast this year now

• Advertisement

Bought the Condon today. 650e +vat. Serious step up from the crap flappy sided one which is going on the scrap metal pile. Picked up the Buddex gas dehorner too while I was there so old electric one can go. Hopefully less stress for both man and beast this year now

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just if you use the belly support lever.
    If the calf puts all it's weight on it after dehorning and it puts its back legs underneath the belly band thingy.
    Don't do what we did here and release the lever at the back of the crate that pushes them up and keeps them in position.
    That was done here and the full weight was on the belly band, a back leg was underneath the band. The belly band was released and the metal band with the calf's full weight came down on the leg and broke it.

If you use the belly band and the lever at the back. Release the belly band always first before the lever at the back. And watch out for back legs underneath the band when releasing.

Replacement Noseband Dehorning Crate.JPG

Pic of the replacement noseband

A length of safety belt was used, its anchor tongue secures it to dehorning crate. The other end of the belt is tied off on the right hand side of the crate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Johnchaff

Thinking of getting a dehorning crate do ye think the Condon is the best on the market or is there a better one out there and apart from lowering the belly plate with the calfs legs under it is there anything else to watch out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Johnchaff wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a dehorning crate do ye think the Condon is the best on the market or is there a better one out there and apart from lowering the belly plate with the calfs legs under it is there anything else to watch out for?

I also bought a Condon crate 3 years ago. I did a lot of looking and couldn't find anything else on the market which was worth looking at.
    The advice above on operating the belly support is essential, but becomes part of the routine when you get into the swing of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I think crates are too slow.back them into the corner andwith your back to them put legand hip up against them rising their front legs off the ground.thenput your arm around their head and onto their nose and pull their nose back and under them and use other hand to work dehorner .this gives you control and the horns easy to get at.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Johnchaff

I think I'd rather the crate you must be a Savage of a man and how many arms do you have?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Johnchaff wrote: »
    I think I'd rather the crate you must be a Savage of a man and how many arms do you have?

Once the front legs are off the ground they have alot less power.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

K.G. wrote: »
    I think crates are too slow.back them into the corner andwith your back to them put legand hip up against them rising their front legs off the ground.thenput your arm around their head and onto their nose and pull their nose back and under them and use other hand to work dehorner .this gives you control and the horns easy to get at.

You've never dehorned a lim bull that way. That's for sure. I was grapping one here once and he literally ran up the wall. His back legs were about 18 inches off the ground.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

K.G. wrote: »

You've never dehorned a lim bull that way. That's for sure. I was grabbing one here once and he literally ran up the wall. His back legs were about 18 inches off the ground.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Advertisement