Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading stabbing: Five teenagers arrested after boy, 13, dies

Options
  • 06-01-2021 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭

Four boys and a girl have been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder after a 13-year-old boy was stabbed to death in Reading.

Oliver Stephens, known as Olly, was pronounced dead at Bugs Bottom fields, Emmer Green, on Sunday.

The five teenagers, all aged 13 or 14, remain in custody, according to Thames Valley Police.

Det Supt Kevin Brown said: "Our thoughts remain with Olly's family at this incredibly difficult time."

He added: "This is a tragic and shocking incident which has resulted in the death of a young boy."

The victim's family are being supported by specially trained officers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-berkshire-55525269

Here are screenshots leaked of the GF putting a "hit" out on snapchat.

5u7r64fask961.jpg

Got to say I found this deeply disturbing.

Comments

Do they all suffer from mental illness I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Do they all suffer from mental illness I wonder?

Psychopaths

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Can someone please translate those text messages on the right into English, I'm completely lost...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

That poor kid, what a tragedy.

Some young wan ordering a hit on her boyfriend on snapchat because she was sending nude photos of herself to another kid.

I really believe under 18s shouldn't be allowed on social media, it's not a popular or workable opinion but something has gone horribly wrong with society, not that we were a whole lot better beforehand.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Poor young fella. Jesus that is really sinister stuff. Hope justice is served quickly.

I'm sure people will want to wait to see what communities the victim and attacker are from before deciding which one deserves more sympathy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Can someone please translate those text messages on the right into English, I'm completely lost...

She says I told ya to rob him not M(murder) him. The last message is the most disturbing it translates into "his mother can produce another kid"

GF clearly a nutter / thick b1tch. Can hear the learning disability or similar defence rubbish looming........... frightening that a few kids would stab a lad to death. World is getting worse by the day.

The victim was attending a decent school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

rob316 wrote: »
    She says I told ya to rob him not M(murder) him. The last message is the most disturbing it translates into "his mother can produce another kid"

I thought that alright. Depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

rob316 wrote: »

Disgusting stuff.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Seriously ****ed up , and the scary thing is there probably is no mental learning or mental disability

It’s a culture problem, life is becoming cheap and a lot of young lads / girls in cities are looking up to gang members and scumbag celebrities.

When did it become cool to be an absolute knacker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It is quite depressing what is going on in England.

This reminds me of a similar horrific incident some years ago where teenagers chased and stabbed to death another teenager in London's big and busy Victoria station. Not behind closed doors stuff or on some socially disadvantaged estate but were gallivanting around central London's Victoria station in broad daylight playing games for their own entertainment. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-15310015

Nothing has changed 8 years later. Worse if anything.

Not really sure what the answer is. It would be sweet to think that curtailing internet access would fix the problem, but firstly I don't think that is possible and I don't think the internet is the root of the problem in the first place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

Speculation that she has a mental illness - I imagine she will if she ever sees a charge sheet.

RIP to the poor boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

This happened there 15 years back, this poor kid had a Co Mayo father who f**ked off when she was three, basically leaving her to grow up in English chavdom, from the look of her she could have been over here with her school jumper, plaid skirt, yacht shoes and books under her arm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Mary-Ann_Leneghan

Reading is a funny place, a superficially affluent and prosperous SE English town with excellent transport links but still has a scummy underbelly to it, since the banking crash and austerity other similar places like Milton Keynes and Peterborough have gone this way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭PearseCork92

dd973 wrote: »

Reading is a funny place, a superficially affluent and prosperous SE English town with excellent transport links but still has a scummy underbelly to it, since the banking crash and austerity other similar places like Milton Keynes and Peterborough have gone this way.

Honestly the best thing about Reading is the train station. It functions as a dormitory town for people who find London too expensive to live in. Like Naas or Navan perhaps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The two boys who did the stabbing have been found guilty of murder and sentenced to 13 and 12 years respectively

The girl admitted manslaughter and got 3 years 2 months.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-berkshire-58666322

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Poor family left to pick up the pieces.

Social media really have become a poisoned chalice to society.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I find it really horrible that the girl only got 3 years.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I find it horrible any of them will ever be allowed to walk the streets again. I'm sorry, at 14 you know the difference between right and wrong, and you should know that stabbing someone could kill them, so feck 'em, lock 'em up and throw away the key. These types of people rarely change, just see what the kids who killed Jamie Bolger got up to since.

I agree though, we need to make social media 18+. Actually, we should just get rid of it entirely, but that's not going to happen. Neither is making it 18+ though. We're screwed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

From what I read the girl was a major player in all of this and she'll be out long before shes 18 so on paper it will never have happened as far as people who interact with her in the future are concerned. Her records will be sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Not that surprising. The girl was smart enough not to engage in the actual physical attack, which made for a good defense.

At least one of them was stupid enough to brag about it. Not the full shillings really…

• Advertisement
Advertisement