Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal advice re: cryptocurrencies

Options
  • 05-01-2021 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I have a business idea relating to cryptocurrencies and I need legal advice to figure out if it's all above board or if there are potential issues that I'm not aware of.

Are there any solicitors/firms that have experience or a good reputation in this field? Or should any solicitor be able for it ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I have a business idea relating to cryptocurrencies and I need legal advice to figure out if it's all above board or if there are potential issues that I'm not aware of.

Are there any solicitors/firms that have experience or a good reputation in this field? Or should any solicitor be able for it ?

Cheers

The benefit of crypto is that it’s beyond the reach of the law

• Registered Users Posts: 26 social.lite

Valhallapt wrote: »

Wishful thinking :D

If that were the case, Coinbase and all the other exchanges wouldn't bother with KYC

Wishful thinking :D

If that were the case, Coinbase and all the other exchanges wouldn't bother with KYC

But that’s for the exchanges not for Bitcoin. You don’t need to use an exchange for Bitcoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

That's Monero maybe, until it gets cracked down on, if it does. Crypto as a whole, no. The benefit is finality, fraud prevention, pseudonymous obfuscation but still permanent traceability.
    But that’s for the exchanges not for Bitcoin. You don’t need to use an exchange for Bitcoin.

You'll have to be getting in and out of BTC using only localbitcoins to sell & buy, if you have a known banking entry or exit point into or out of Bitcoin every move is traceable. It's designed to be the most traceable and Chainalysis make a mint from identifying people who're confident that using Bitcoin means they can't be found or tracked.

Thanks for the informative reply, I've started to re-educate myself, its very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The OP said they wanted to start a business, not a criminal organisation ;-)

Cash is arguably a better way to get around law enforcement than crypto, but it doesn’t mean businesses which are handling cash don’t follow legal and regulatory requirements. Same goes with crypto.

Advertisement