Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Longer type 2 to type 2 charge cable

Options
  • 04-01-2021 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi there,

With the way our driveway is and the position of our charging box at the side of the house, I'm hoping to get a longer type 2 charge cable, perhaps 15m, so that I don't need to physically swap the cars around in the driveway when charging one after the other.

Has anyone any experience with such long cables, and are there any pitfalls or safety concerns I need to be aware of?

Here is an example of such a cable.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Only real pitfall is the weight of the cable, especially if 3 phase, 32a.
    But if it’s for hime charging then this won’t really matter.

The other issue is charging losses over the length of the cable. It won’t be as efficient but your talking % here.

So bottom line, I wouldn’t be worried about it and if it makes it easier to manage I’d buy it. Just get the best quality cable and the best version possible (such as 32a/7kw) to future proof the cable for use for many many years going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭eko

Gumbo wrote: »
    Only real pitfall is the weight of the cable, especially if 3 phase, 32a.
    But if it’s for hime charging then this won’t really matter.

The other issue is charging losses over the length of the cable. It won’t be as efficient but your talking % here.

So bottom line, I wouldn’t be worried about it and if it makes it easier to manage I’d buy it. Just get the best quality cable and the best version possible (such as 32a/7kw) to future proof the cable for use for many many years going forward.

Thanks Gumbo, good advice. I'm trying to source one in Ireland before plumping for a UK purchase, will see what I find. Cheers!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

eko wrote: »
    Thanks Gumbo, good advice. I'm trying to source one in Ireland before plumping for a UK purchase, will see what I find. Cheers!

Phil in electric autos is a good chap to deal with. He’s based in Kildare.
    I got my cables from here - https://thirdrockenergy.co.uk/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

eko wrote: »
    Hi there,

With the way our driveway is and the position of our charging box at the side of the house, I'm hoping to get a longer type 2 charge cable, perhaps 15m, so that I don't need to physically swap the cars around in the driveway when charging one after the other.

Has anyone any experience with such long cables, and are there any pitfalls or safety concerns I need to be aware of?

I'm in exactly the same situation. That's why I bought a 15m type 2 32A cable from Phil as the others suggested. He got me a better price than I could find online (from the UK - and that was before Brexit)

No pitfalls, no safety concerns. I leave the cable permanently connected (tethered) to my charge point. It's been working perfectly fine. For 4 years now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭eko

Thanks guys! I'll contact Phil and have a chat and, failing that, will use the link provided also. Great information, thanks again!!

Advertisement