Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Creadan Head walks

• 03-01-2021 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭

I have seen a lot of places suggesting Creadan Head for walks. It is a lovely spot but when I have been there, it is not clear to me how to approach it without trespassing on farmland and passing through a lot of briars. Is there a recommended route?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

id love to know myself, its a stunning area, im only aware of people walking the coast when the tides out, but you d wanna be extremely careful with timing, think id rather chance walking the private land, to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    id love to know myself, its a stunning area, im only aware of people walking the coast when the tides out, but you d wanna be extremely careful with timing, think id rather chance walking the private land, to be honest

Thanks. I will investigate if possible. I walked on the cliffs on the landward side and I ended sharing a field with bulls so wish to avoid that in future. I am very keen to see the famous rock cut steps for smuggling on the far end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Thanks. I will investigate if possible. I walked on the cliffs on the landward side and I ended sharing a field with bulls so wish to avoid that in future. I am very keen to see the famous rock cut steps for smuggling on the far end.

I'd be avoiding the livestock alright, especially a bull, that's one quick way of pi$$ing off a land owner, a friend has told me he has had to jump over ditchs to avoid aggressive livestock, not my idea of fun. Never heard of the steps, sounds interesting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I'd be avoiding the livestock alright, especially a bull, that's one quick way of pi$$ing off a land owner, a friend has told me he has had to jump over ditchs to avoid aggressive livestock, not my idea of fun. Never heard of the steps, sounds interesting?

Yes. Seems to be at the far end on the extreme SE of it. That and the beach's name might reflect trade between London and Cork or the New World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Its actually very interesting!

https://twitter.com/IrishSmuggling/status/1310149588100227074

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There's a farm for sale on the head at the moment - has it's own beach (technical not true but who's stopping you?!). If I was rich I'd certainly look at it as a bolt hole.

https://www.farmsforsaleireland.com/agricultural-property-farm-land-for-sale/78-acre-residential-coastal-farm-co-waterford/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Used to dig lug and ragworm on that beach years ago. Camped there a couple of times too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Is there proper directions to this beach as I am looking for somewhere new to have a look at but would need to be able to drive and park somewhere and then be able to walk to it so some detailed instructions would be great?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

reni10 wrote: »
    Is there proper directions to this beach as I am looking for somewhere new to have a look at but would need to be able to drive and park somewhere and then be able to walk to it so some detailed instructions would be great?

Just put Forenaught Beach into google maps and it will bring you to it ,its in between woodstown and dunmore not far from town ,there's no car park there but you can park near the beach and walk down to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭Muttley79

https://earth.app.goo.gl/?apn=com.google.earth&isi=293622097&ius=googleearth&link=https%3a%2f%2fearth.google.com%2fweb%2f%4052.17956229,-6.94974526,4.79511428a,623.34980692d,35y,7.65584186h,0t,0r
    Small bit of studying creadan head it looks like the steps are at this point on the map.it looks like you have to walk through the farm yard northside of the head.im sure if you asked the farmer to walk out to it he shouldn't have any bother especially this time of year when there's no cattle out in the fields

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Junior Hurler

Don’t try driving down the last 70m or metres so to the beach you’ll get stuck in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Better still park at the carpark in Woodstown and walk over the hill to Forenaught strand, a lovely walk in itself, then you can walk out Creaden or back as far as the church in Killeagh and back to Woodstown, a lovely 10kish circular walk.

There's a farm for sale on the head at the moment - has it's own beach (technical not true but who's stopping you?!). If I was rich I'd certainly look at it as a bolt hole.

https://www.farmsforsaleireland.com/agricultural-property-farm-land-for-sale/78-acre-residential-coastal-farm-co-waterford/

Sale agreed on it now did you buy it Harry?

Advertisement