Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Earphones or buds for TINY earhole

• 02-01-2021 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I have a very small concha cavum, so normal earphones or earbuds simply don't stay in, even using the smallest of the silicone tips they provide. I do have one pair with curved silicone horns that helps them hang in place, but because the tips don't fit in, I still only get about half the music.

Has anyone ever come across earphones — preferably Bluetooth — which fit in very small ears? Googling 'small' along with 'earphone' is unproductive, as it applies it to the dimensions of the device, not the ear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think you have to go with some kind of on-ear or over ear type of thing, instead of in-ear.

If you insist on in-ear I found anything that comes with a 'ear hook or ear wing' to be very good for keeping them in place and I don't see why that wouldn't work for small ears too.

I think simple in-ear yokes fall out for everyone , you need one with a so called 'wing', not one that wraps around the top of ones ear, but one that stabilizes inside your ear.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000101332891.html

That is just an example of what a 'wing' looks like, they work really well imo. You can buy the attachment separately but prolly better to find a set that has them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why are you looking for in ear phones then ?

Your problem needed custom mould or not to use them as there are other options available easily

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭frisket

AllForIt wrote: »
    I think you have to go with some kind of on-ear or over ear type of thing, instead of in-ear.
    I thought that might be the case. Full headphones.
    AllForIt wrote: »
    If you insist on in-ear I found anything that comes with a 'ear hook or ear wing' to be very good for keeping them in place and I don't see why that wouldn't work for small ears too.
    But those are the ones I already referred to. They stay in place, but the tips are still too large, so they don't enter the ear, so I only get to hear half the frequencies.

listermint wrote: »
    Why are you looking for in ear phones then ?
    Because I thought someone might know some manufacturer who made earphones with very small tips.
    listermint wrote: »
    Your problem needed custom mould or not to use them as there are other options available easily
    Custom make might be possible with a 3D printer. Not sure what "other options" you are referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Haraldkare

I have issues with ear buds too. Always falling out. Any that holds will fall out if I chew. So an overhead bluetooth pair would be an alternative.

However, I have found Redmi air dots to be quite good. They stay in while doing a long walk without falling. I get the feeling that if I ran I would have an issue though.

• Advertisement

Haraldkare wrote: »
    I have issues with ear buds too. Always falling out. Any that holds will fall out if I chew. So an overhead bluetooth pair would be an alternative.

However, I have found Redmi air dots to be quite good. They stay in while doing a long walk without falling. I get the feeling that if I ran I would have an issue though.

I wouldn't be using them eating but thanks for the tip :-) I might try these, the reviews are reasonable, and the price won't kill me to give away if they are just too big. Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

You can try to make your own tips by punching a hole in some foam ear protection buds. I tried it to make the earphones i had stay in better when running.

Idleater wrote: »
    You can try to make your own tips by punching a hole in some foam ear protection buds. I tried it to make the earphones i had stay in better when running.

Clever idea, thanks.

However, I have found Redmi air dots to be quite good.
    Would you ever be able to do me a favour, please? If you still have (use?) the smallest of the three sizes of earbud tip they supplied, could you let me know the external diameter in mm of the middle bit (not the very tip and not the top of the skirt)? I asked Xioami about them and they were unable to give me that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

frisket wrote: »
    Because I thought someone might know some manufacturer who made earphones with very small tips.

Custom make might be possible with a 3D printer. Not sure what "other options" you are referring to.

Look up 'Fuze' mould kit

• Advertisement

I went and bought these. Yay! Not only do they fit, but they don't fall out, and the quality is very good.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Finally! I found some. After a number of false starts, I found these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiksounds-Headphones-Bluetooth-Microphone-Waterproof-Black/dp/B09H229P2W which are sold by Evatost Consulting Ltd in Cardiff, UK rep for eVatmaster Consulting GmbH in Frankfurt/Main. They come with three sized of silicon tip, but even the middle one fitted me and when you rotate the body of the buds, it makes them secure enough not to fall out. I took them to show a relative with even smaller earholes than I have, and the small tips fitted them and caused much astonishment. So quest is over. Thread can be closed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

If they break maybe look at sennheiser's range next, I have a set of CX plus true wireless and they came with 4 fittings, from XS to L. I generally have a rotten time with silicon buds but the size M on these ones work really well for me.

Just to mod note, I won't close the thread - it might be useful to someone else down the line and in general I'm not a fan of the thread locking culture on boards.

As a final note, I changed from the Redmi Airdots as they started to work loose. I settled on these Tiksounds in a charging case and they're working even better than the Airdots. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09H229P2W

Advertisement