Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Leap Card

Options
  • 31-12-2020 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

I’m unclear about the leap card system. (Returning to public transport after 25 years...)
    Do I have to buy a ticket at the station each time (using the leap card as payment) or just tag on/off (using the leap card as an electronic travel pass)?

A weekly train ticket is €47.
    The weekly cap for leap expenditure on commuter rail is €37.
    Multi-mode cap is €40.

So it’s cheaper to just tag on and off at the train station using leap credit rather than buy a weekly ticket? Why would anyone buy a weekly or monthly rail ticket when it’s more expensive than using leap card?
    (I plan on getting an annual taxsaver if ‘work from office’ is confirmed)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

For irish rail, it's either tax saver or credit. Once you've a positive balance you can tag on and go for your journey, even if it is only 1 cent. Always make sure you try to tag off at the end, so a rebate can be applied to correct the fare you are charged. Leap customer care can assist if you're unable to tag off.

If you plan on using the fare capping feature, even if you reach the threshold for it, your card still needs to be in a positive balance as the scanners won't validate a journey for a leap card without credit or an applicable ticket.

Just to be sure though, you are planing on using it within Dublin SHZ or yhe local routes in Cork? As anything outside that, can only use Tax saver with Irish Rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

For irish rail, it's either tax saver or credit. Once you've a positive balance you can tag on and go for your journey, even if it is only 1 cent. Always make sure you try to tag off at the end, so a rebate can be applied to correct the fare you are charged. Leap customer care can assist if you're unable to tag off.

If you plan on using the fare capping feature, even if you reach the threshold for it, your card still needs to be in a positive balance as the scanners won't validate a journey for a leap card without credit or an applicable ticket.

Just to be sure though, you are planing on using it within Dublin SHZ or yhe local routes in Cork? As anything outside that, can only use Tax saver with Irish Rail.

Thanks Dravokivich.
    I’m in the Dublin Short Hop Zone.
    Another question: if I get the annual rail only ticket (costing €1,044 on taxsaver) does that usage count at all towards the cap... or is the cap only calculated against leap credit used.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The Cap is only against Credit Usage. Using tickets won't apply to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

minikin wrote: »
    Thanks Dravokivich.
    I’m in the Dublin Short Hop Zone.
    Another question: if I get the annual rail only ticket (costing €1,044 on taxsaver) does that usage count at all towards the cap... or is the cap only calculated against leap credit used.

The cap doesn't come into it with an annual ticket. You just tag on and off with your card to enter and exit the barriers.

Advertisement