Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing ev from the north

Options
  • 01-01-2021 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭

Just a hypothetical thing ,
    I was looking at the price of the mg zs electric , and then had a nosey at the uk pre-vat prices ,
    Also at a dealer selling second hand mgs , and they were around 20 grand for a 2020 car ,if you import it to Ireland there's no vrt on that , ( I think ) ,
    But is there vat to be paid now ,? Or any other charges ? That'd be around 22500 euro for a 1 year old ev ... ( Maybe ,maybe not ? )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Coill1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Could be nifty so ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

You have to pay VAT here if your importing a brand new car regardless of brexit, that includes those that are 6 months old or have less than 6,000km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Coill1 wrote: »

needs to be originally registered in NI, need to check history its not a uk to NI car

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Coill1 wrote: »

So new cars (less than 6 months old and less than 6000km) from NI would require you to pay VRT and VAT at 21%.

Used cars (more than 6 months old and more than 6000km) you know need to pay VRT.

That about right?

So with respect to the mg mentioned both vat and vrt would need to be paid.

Best scenario is a dealer who can sell to you new without UK vat (that's a thing isn't it) and you pay Irish VAT only, and Vrt.
    Or
    A 6001km 6 month old car from NI where you only pay VRT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some offtopic posts removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Bixler3

So new cars (less than 6 months old and less than 6000km) from NI would require you to pay VRT and VAT at 21%.

Used cars (more than 6 months old and more than 6000km) you know need to pay VRT.

That about right?

So with respect to the mg mentioned both vat and vrt would need to be paid.

Best scenario is a dealer who can sell to you new without UK vat (that's a thing isn't it) and you pay Irish VAT only, and Vrt.
    Or
    A 6001km 6 month old car from NI where you only pay VRT.

Isnt the VRT on used EVs zero (I think)?

Bixler3 wrote: »
    Isnt the VRT on used EVs zero (I think)?

Oh maybe yes. I was only going by the revenue link, but yes, Vrt on used EVs is zero. Not bad so, but supply will be very very limited.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Oh maybe yes. I was only going by the revenue link, but yes, Vrt on used EVs is zero. Not bad so, but supply will be very very limited.

Well its technically not zero, theres a vrt rebate that nearly always brings it to zero.

i think the vrt rate now is 7% on EV's and there is 5000 rebate up to 40,000 of the OMSP of the car. and none over 50k (between 40k and 50k its prorata'd down)

graememk wrote: »
    Well its technically not zero, theres a vrt rebate that nearly always brings it to zero.

i think the vrt rate now is 7% on EV's and there is 5000 rebate up to 40,000 of the OMSP of the car. and none over 50k (between 40k and 50k its prorata'd down)

Crystal clear. Just need to find revenues definition of omsp.

• Advertisement
Advertisement