Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

7 Seater Option Electric/PHEV

Options
  • 31-12-2020 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice if possible. Car is coming up for a swap soon and going to bite the bullet and go 7 seats. My daily driving is city based and lots of short trips so really would like to stay away from the standard diesel which everyone seems to be offering.

I haven't kept up to speed on cars for the last few years so just wondering what options are available? No real idea on budget yet, but I do plan to keep car for significant period of time.

So far someone has pointed me to Santa Fein/Sorento which seem nice but details on range seem sketchy which is a concern. Just wondering if you intelligent people would know what is available now or coming out in next 12 months? thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Budget? with no ceiling go get a Tesla Model X

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Options after the x are the model y and the vw ID 4, both of which are due to come out at soon point for irish users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

slave1 wrote: »
    Budget? with no ceiling go get a Tesla Model X

That's a bit out of touch, was maybe at 40-50k.

Laviski wrote: »
    Options after the x are the model y and the vw ID 4, both of which are due to come out at soon point for irish users.

Is the ID.4 not a 5 seater? I didn't think it came in 7 seater?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

7 seaters are pretty rare in full EV, basically there's the Tesla Model X and the Nissan Evalia.

The European Model Y should be coming out sometime in 2021, but I don't think they've made the 7 seat version yet

Phevs might be an easier option in the short term, there's a PHEV VW Tiguan coming at some point, and I think BMW have a 7 seater plug in

In general, if you want the benefits of going electric, you'll need something with a plug. Mild hybrids and the hilariously named self charging hybrids at best reduce your fuel consumption, but are still expensive to run compared to an EV

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Every ones dream 7+ seater lol

https://www.ford.ie/cars/tourneo-custom

Very few choices, one of the Volvo's are 7 seater? limited range I beleive.

7 seaters are pretty rare in full EV, basically there's the Tesla Model X and the Nissan Evalia.

The European Model Y should be coming out sometime in 2021, but I don't think they've made the 7 seat version yet

Phevs might be an easier option in the short term, there's a PHEV VW Tiguan coming at some point, and I think BMW have a 7 seater plug in

In general, if you want the benefits of going electric, you'll need something with a plug. Mild hybrids and the hilariously named self charging hybrids at best reduce your fuel consumption, but are still expensive to run compared to an EV

I don't want mild or Toyota hybrid. Already tested them and yes they reduce but not worth the time. Plus the Toyota 7 seater is something crazy like 70k, for a bloody Toyota

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Looking for some advice if possible. Car is coming up for a swap soon and going to bite the bullet and go 7 seats. My daily driving is city based and lots of short trips so really would like to stay away from the standard diesel which everyone seems to be offering.

I haven't kept up to speed on cars for the last few years so just wondering what options are available? No real idea on budget yet, but I do plan to keep car for significant period of time.

So far someone has pointed me to Santa Fein/Sorento which seem nice but details on range seem sketchy which is a concern. Just wondering if you intelligent people would know what is available now or coming out in next 12 months? thank you

The new 7 seat Hyundai Santa-Fe plug in hybrid at €49000 may also be an option.

https://www.hyundai.ie/all-new-santa-fe/specs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Stick with a 2 or 3 year old petrol. Absolutely phenomenal money for a brand new 7 seater electric with very few options currently available.
    The difference in price is a hell of a lot of petrol/running costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭conor_mc

How many seats do you need as a family? We’ve three kids and have a proper 7-seater S-Max (i.e. 33/33/33 split) and before that a Qashqai+2 (40/20/40 split). Night and day difference in terms of usability with a young family, we got rid of the QQ because we were literally loading the kids in the car via a back door each and one via the boot, every time. S-Max is simply kerbside door open and kids can walk across the car to their seat on the far side, past a baby seat, etc. So much safer with smallies especially.

Neither of which were electrified obviously, but more to point out that not all seven-seaters are born equal. Santa Fe/Sorrento would be more like a Qashqai+2 I reckon, which is to say less family friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

A neighbour has a BMW X5 plug in, he has 3 boys ages around 9, 7 and 3 and they have no issues getting the kids across the back seats even though it's a 5 seater

There's also a larger version of the VW ID.4 coming at some point which will probably be around similar size to the Tiguan Allspace. No official announcement on it yet though so could be late 2021 at the earliest, and rumour is that it'll be China only initially

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

E-NV 200, basically a 7 seater leaf and looks a decent match to your use case. My sister has one and she loves it as a family run about.

https://www.nissan.ie/vehicles/new-vehicles/evalia.html

krissovo wrote: »
    E-NV 200, basically a 7 seater leaf and looks a decent match to your use case. My sister has one and she loves it as a family run about.

https://www.nissan.ie/vehicles/new-vehicles/evalia.html

42 K is mad for that with 40 Kwh possibly 37 Kwh available and the range wouldn't be great and it only charges 45 Kw depending on battery temp, better off buying an older diesel 7 seater.

Advertisement