Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Welcome back RQ :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

dahat wrote: »
    Not on a Bianchi by any chance?

I wish. :) A Liv.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Welcome back RQ :pac:

Until the next crash...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I wish. :) A Liv.

A new Liv turned up in work a few months ago, while not a Giant fan, the Livs are very nice looking IMO

CramCycle wrote: »
    A new Liv turned up in work a few months ago, while not a Giant fan, the Livs are very nice looking IMO

I swore I wouldn't buy one when they started hitting the roads :pac: but it is a lovely looking thing and size does fit me much better. They've really improved the look of them I think, when they first came out I wasn't liking the look.
    Here she is

Screenshot-2020-12-22-at-23-50-16.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CramCycle wrote: »

Still see some sporting suicide brakes :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've been using Zwift for a few weeks now, just doing 30-45 minute spins. Got a Kicker Core recently so the resistance with hills is engaging enough and now my power is accurate so I can keep up better.

I've done Emily's Short Mix twice now which I couldn't even finish and today I did Tabata intervals. I can cruise outside for 60-90 minutes easy enough but Christ any sort of effort kills me almost instantly. I didn't realise I was this out of shape :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ED E wrote: »
    Still see some sporting suicide brakes :eek:

I never thought of the Livs having them, I only heard of them on one giant model but I wasn't paying attention. On that note RQ, have you changed out your brake pads since you bought the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

First proper spin outside in two months since I came off and wrecked my thumb. I did a quick 45 minute spin the other day just to check the paw but I'm not really counting that.
    Went out today with a couple of the club mates. It was great to have the craic and the chat again. Cold but sunny. Lots of debris on the road after last night's gusts. Hand held up fairly well but was a bit tender at the end so I had no desire to do more and try to get Rapha Festive 500 kms on the board. Headwind on the last 15km really reminded me of the difference between Zwift and reality. You can do all the turbo you like but it's nearly impossible to replicate that shock to the system when you are sucking freezing cold air into your lungs. Still, it was good to be back out.
    Longwood - Enfield - Summerhill - Dunsany - Kilmessan - Trim - Longwood. 61km @ 29.5kmh
    https://www.strava.com/activities/4524193875

It was pretty cold and showery when I was due to set off this morning so I bottled it and did two hours on the turbo in the shed instead. It actually turned out to be a pretty fine morning so I was kicking myself for not getting out there.

Mrs dancinpants got me a Garmin 130 for Xmas so am looking forward to getting out a few times over the next week while I'm off but having two lunatics under two at home doesn't make it easy at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Also doing time at Costa del Shed lately, trying out various apps, currently on ERGVideo. They have a plan with 4 or 5 two hour rides per week.. found absolutely no power in legs after an hour. Most of the ride was arouns70-80% of the FTP. Completely unfit at the moment, and struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭secman

Headed from home to Ballyedmund, across to Boolavogue, The Harrow and into Ferns. On to Camolin, Clogh , Gorey , out to Ballycanew, Killenagh and home. 50km 440 meters, 25.7 kph avg. Bitter cold and a wind that would cut you in 2. But dry :)

Braved the wind and the cold this morning and got 45k in before I bailed out. 3 degrees, 40kph winds in my face and sleet squalls. Stupidly picked a very hilly route and felt very exposed on the high sections and nearly came off in a cross wind. 45k @ 25kph with 750m ascent. Not for the faint hearted! Didn't see any other cyclists out for the first time in a long time. New Garmin worked a treat but not a chance I was chasing any KOMs or PRs in those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭cletus

Having wimped out the last two mornings, I decided I was going out today regardless. Some pretty heavy headwinds on the way out made me almost mini-wimp out, slowed me right down, and drained the legs enough that when I had the wind to my back I struggled to make use of it.

Having said all that, still enjoyed it. A hard cycle is better than no cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

36k. City centre. Round Howth and then home. Nice morning for it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just in from a short spin myself. Saw a middle aged female cyclist down at the junction of Taylors Lane and Whitechurch road. A crowd had already gathered and an ambulance had been called so I didn't stick around, hope she's ok and was thinking about her for the rest of the ride. Rest of the cycle was uneventful taking in the backroads around the Scalp and Barnasligen lane which was like a carpark with the amount of walkers out. Loads of mud and assorted crap on the roads too so took it slowly. 35k with 511m of up all in.

Headed out just after noon, hoping it would warm up a bit. From the house did a little loop around Ballygarrett/ Cahore, Killenagh, Ballycanew to Gorey. Out to Clogh , Camolin, Ferns, across to The Harrow, Boolavogue, Ballyedmund and home.
    62 km, 523 meters, avg 25.7 kph
    Stiff oul cold winds again but nice to just tick over.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Your stats are similar to mine secman: 64km @ 25km/h and 540m across the hills near Kilteel (near the Kildare/Wicklow/Dublin border)
    After 9 days off the bike, I had nothing in my legs when I set out - feeling absolutely wrecked now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Your stats are similar to mine secman: 64km @ 25km/h and 540m across the hills near Kilteel (near the Kildare/Wicklow/Dublin border)
    After 9 days off the bike, I had nothing in my legs when I set out - feeling absolutely wrecked now

Before I moved i used to love heading over there to do McDonaghs Lane and also Cupids.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Before I moved i used to love heading over there to do McDonaghs Lane and also Cupids.
    I had plans to do the three lanes (including Rathmore Hill) over and back (six crossings in total) but my legs just weren't there :(

On a separate note, I'm fairly sure I heard a woodpecker this morning which is a first for me in Ireland.

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    Having wimped out the last two mornings, I decided I was going out today regardless. Some pretty heavy headwinds on the way out made me almost mini-wimp out, slowed me right down, and drained the legs enough that when I had the wind to my back I struggled to make use of it.

Having said all that, still enjoyed it. A hard cycle is better than no cycle

The only time I ever regret it is when I come off, which I did on this exact day last year in icy conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Horrible cycle today. Clontarf seafront was nuts.

1) Had a 5/6 year old girl steer into the cycle
    lane on her scooter causing me to jam on. Parents didn’t give a toss.

2) Three 17/18 year old girls walking side by side in the cycle lanes and taking up both lanes. A few other cyclists shouted at them and they just laughed.

3) Had to jam on when a couple decided to overtake other cyclists in their lane (when it was unsafe to do so as I was cycling towards them in my lane). We almost clipped one another. Found myself letting out a little bit of a roar at them.

4) Countless number of cyclists cycling side by side, taking up both lanes.

Usually I love cycling but I found today very stressful. I’ve generally found motorists to be quite good, and have only experienced (Touch wood) other cyclists/pedestrians to be seriously wreckless.

Those electronic scooters are lethal, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

I assume that is a textbook example of trolling. Use the road if you want unhindered cycling, not a shared use all abilities (and none) cycle track.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

CapnHex wrote: »
    I assume that is a textbook example of trolling. Use the road if you want unhindered cycling, not a shared use all abilities (and none) cycle track.
    :confused: Sounds to me like the poster is just sharing about their cycle.

I used that clontarf cycling path once and that was one time too many. Absolutely hated it , the least enjoyable cycle of 2020.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if there are 5 year olds on the cycle path, you need to anticipate that and prepare to brake anyway. it's a shared public amenity and you shouldn't need to find yourself in a situation where you have to emergency brake for small children you can see ahead of you.

if you want to get up to a decent speed on a day when the path seems to have been congested, you should use the road instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

secman wrote: »
    I used that clontarf cycling path once and that was one time too many. Absolutely hated it , the least enjoyable cycle of 2020.
    it's grand when it's quiet. there's good visibility on it so anticipating what's ahead is fine. but i don't go that way if i expect it'll be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

if there are 5 year olds on the cycle path, you need to anticipate that and prepare to brake anyway.

The child was in the pedestrian lane with her parents. She suddenly steered into the cycling lane. I did not anticipate that happening. I appreciate that it’s a shared public amenity, but a cycling lane is a cycling lane, and there are clear markings to show that it’s a two-way system.

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    The child was in the pedestrian lane with her parents. She suddenly steered into the cycling lane. I did not anticipate that happening.
    best to anticipate it in future so. small children are unpredictable.

• Advertisement

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    The child was in the pedestrian lane with her parents. She suddenly steered into the cycling lane. I did not anticipate that happening. I appreciate that it’s a shared public amenity, but a cycling lane is a cycling lane, and there are clear markings to show that it’s a two-way system.

I'd avoid a space like that most of the time but particularly at times like Christmas and most weekends to be honest. If there are families and kids there, then you will have issues like you experienced most of the time. Even the most aware parents will not be able to control children doing erratic things. Best avoided if you are travelling at anything other than a leisurely pace.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement