Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CZ 457 System

• 27-12-2020 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Just putting this out there to see if anyone has any ideas,

I have decided to upgrade to a CZ 457 .22 lr, the idea being that i can can buy the laminate 16" hunting rifle, and then add spare barrels (Match target) and aftermarket chassis for target shooting, etc.

My great idea is falling down on the implementation, I have contacted a few dealers now, and

1) The laminate in 16" doesn't seem to be available and
    2) Spare barrels (called minisets) do not seem to be available in the republic.

Generally the supply of 457 stuff seems to be limited here.

One of the dealers told me that there is generally only one order of CZ stuff that comes in once a year, to the wholesalers and whatever is in it that's pretty much it.

Mcavoy guns in the North seems to have a good supply of the 457 stuff, including the minisets, is it possible for a dealer here to bring in direct from them or do the dealers have to go through official channels or could I source somewhere else..
    Thanks in Advance,

S'Doc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

Hi All,
    Just putting this out there to see if anyone has any ideas,

I have decided to upgrade to a CZ 457 .22 lr, the idea being that i can can buy the laminate 16" hunting rifle, and then add spare barrels (Match target) and aftermarket chassis for target shooting, etc.

My great idea is falling down on the implementation, I have contacted a few dealers now, and

1) The laminate in 16" doesn't seem to be available and
    2) Spare barrels (called minisets) do not seem to be available in the republic.

Generally the supply of 457 stuff seems to be limited here.

One of the dealers told me that there is generally only one order of CZ stuff that comes in once a year, to the wholesalers and whatever is in it that's pretty much it.

Mcavoy guns in the North seems to have a good supply of the 457 stuff, including the minisets, is it possible for a dealer here to bring in direct from them or do the dealers have to go through official channels or could I source somewhere else..
    Thanks in Advance,

S'Doc.

What with Britexit in 2021 it now complicates things.
    But a good dealer here should be able to do the importing for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Sports den in Navan would get you a barrel no bother I’ve seen them do it before afaik it’s a 2 week or so wait on a barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Is it McCloys in the North your talking about or McAvoys in the UK ?, Most of the dealers in the North send guns down South, you can either have it sent to a RFD in the South of buy it in the North yourself and license it and import it yourself.(you will prob pay a storage fee while waiting on your license if stored in the North)

Who ever brings it in it is done legally via import.

Ring some of the dealers North and South and see if they can get you what you want, the paper work isn't a big deal.

For target shooting if going to enter NASRPC comps with it, weigh off the weight if putting it into a chassis it must not exceed 10.5lbs scoped, if its over that weight its goes into open section. If PRS style comps your grand.

I like this https://www.czub.cz/en/firearms-and-products-product/cz-457-lrp
    but there are some lovely chassis out there for the CZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

To be honest, minisets are a waste of time, great idea but in real life, not worth it.

Think about it, are you really going to rebuild an entire rifle, changing barrel, stock/chasis, re-zero etc, etc. each time you switch from hunting to target.

I am talking from experience here, you won't and if you do, it will take to goodness out of shooting.

Can you imagine getting up one morning, ah I'll do a bit of hunting this morning, ah balls, the rifle is setup for target......

Just buy two rifles, or just get a CZ 457 MTR, super all round 457.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭GooseB

Chris Parkin did a review on the LRP on his YouTube channel and seemed pretty smitten with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUzVlIATtxQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH4ztbC7py4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ccLJBGt2U

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Hi All,
    Thanks for all the replies, yes, the LRP is actually top of the list, but not gone on the stock, its beech covered with polymer essentially. Plan is to put the LRP barrel in a bravo chassis. If the LRP barrel comes in at the same cost as the MTR barrel, about 250 stg, then I can get it and the chassis for a bit less then the LRP.
    It was McAvoy uk, dont know why I thought it was the north..

I take the point about separate rifles, did think about it but I am at the limit of numbers for non-restricted, and I tend to target shoot winter and hunt summer, so it would be a 6 month changeover, not to mention the cost of separate licenses, its mounting up now.

I had seen Chris Parkers reviews alright, I still have to see a poor review on any of the 457's except for the polymer magazines, doesn't really bother me either.

I looked at the Tikka as well, but again the barrel change system on the 457 is a winner for me.
    I will try a few more dealers to see if they can source for me..
    S'Doc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

What about the Lija barrels for the 455?? I've seen these winning bench rest competitions.

https://riflebarrels.com/product-category/drop-in-barrels/cz-455/

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

clivej wrote: »
    What about the Lija barrels for the 455?? I've seen these winning bench rest competitions.

https://riflebarrels.com/product-category/drop-in-barrels/cz-455/
    I would be thinking the same.
    If your going to buy a second barrel for target shooting you would be better off buying a lilja or lothar walther one rather than another cz that may not shoot any better than your original one.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Thanks Lads,
    Now, thats a real option!
    Is there anyone on the island bringing in lilja or lothar walther barrel 455 / 57 barrels, is it a complete pain to import myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

Thanks Lads,
    Now, thats a real option!
    Is there anyone on the island bringing in lilja or lothar walther barrel 455 / 57 barrels, is it a complete pain to import myself..

I don't know about lilja but fabian connelly in Leitrim could probably get you a lothar walther barrel as he deals with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement