Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yeah a steady strong wind here near Tralee with a 10 min avg of 39 km/h

Big rise in the temperature, now at 8.0C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Not sure if there was a snow thread or not for tonight but we had full on snow showers earlier (Dundalk) and by 8:30pm the place was covered in a thick blanket but it was wet snow so as soon as it stopped it melted before midnight. Temps have risen over the last few hours. Sorry I have no pictures from earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The gale is the strong feature out here. Any precipitation is being hurled against the windows and the door can barely be opened.

Bitterly cold

I am looking forward to seeing what fell where later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Genuinley some of the strongest winds I've heard in a while atm on cork city hitting the house right now and can hear it howling even when it isn't directly hitting. Don't have a wind speed yet

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Genuinley some of the strongest winds I've heard in a while atm on cork city hitting the house right now and can hear it howling even when it isn't directly hitting. Don't have a wind speed yet

Agree, Northside of the city here and front of the house is really taking a battering with those gusts.

• Advertisement

No pause or respite the whole night long . A battering and a howling and sporadic rain or hail at the windows. Wearisome! But the power is holding so all is well. Looking forward to peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A windy night and morning alright with that strong and gusty northerly. Mace Head reporting a gust of 63 knots (117 kms) in the Met Éireann 8am reports.

I went out for coal which thankfully is in the lee of the dwelling. At the back facing north, standing up is hard and the ocean just past the end of the garden is a turmoil

Utterly glorious but too cold to stay out in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

A mostly cloudy morning here in wexford. Rain shower passing over currently.

Still raining here. Extremely cold too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Horrible day in meath, last nights snow already a distant memory, its wet, cold, and dark, just a day for the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Newport has now recorded 2037mm of rain breaking its 2015 record of 2009mm to have its wettest year on record.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Horrible day in meath, last nights snow already a distant memory, its wet, cold, and dark, just a day for the fire

If temperatures were a degree or two lower we would have had quiet a bit of snow last night, the GFS managed to get the area of precipitation right, mainly Donegal into Leinster but unfortunately it's just not cold enough and we've had mostly cold rain.

It does appear we may have an easterly into the first week of January but even that doesn't look much colder than what's going on right now and showers from that are likely to be of a mixed nature as well rather than snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Consistent Windy and gusty down here Carrigaline, Co. Cork. Other than that lovely clear blue skys and sun. Apparently Roches PT recorded a gust of 109kmh about hr half ago ( according to Alan at @carlowweather )

Brisk walk shortly helped by the winds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

This is the worst of weather, 2 or 3 degrees too mild for snow or wintry precip but feeling bitterly cold and with cold blustery rain showers.

Hopefully we can tap into proper cold or at least just have a nice cold high with sunshine and frosty nights.

I fear the prospective easterly ahead is going to be awful for those on east coast, very cold with frequent rain and hail showers.

It is a real shame there is no proper cold to our east.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

However, just something to keep an eye on, I wouldnt rule out that some cold pools get homegrown across Scandinavia after recent heavy snows. So it is possible that the uppers might get a degree or two colder than currently predicted if this is the case.

Still 850hPa temps are only going to get to -7 or -8C at best and those on the east coast need it closer to -10C for the real wintry weather.

aidanodr wrote: »
    Consistent Windy and gusty down here Carrigaline, Co. Cork. Other than that lovely clear blue skys and sun. Apparently Roches PT recorded a gust of 109kmh about hr half ago ( according to Alan at @carlowweather )

Brisk walk shortly helped by the winds :D

Well. one way at least...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

Well. one way at least...;)

Indeed, will take that, the bit of ould wind assist :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

However, just something to keep an eye on, I wouldnt rule out that some cold pools get homegrown across Scandinavia after recent heavy snows. So it is possible that the uppers might get a degree or two colder than currently predicted if this is the case.

Still 850hPa temps are only going to get to -7 or -8C at best and those on the east coast need it closer to -10C for the real wintry weather.

Or it would be great to see some nice mild dry benign weather come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Or it would be great to see some nice mild dry benign weather come along.

Leave that until spring :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    If temperatures were a degree or two lower we would have had quiet a bit of snow last night

We had a good few cm's last night before it melted, i didnt expect it at all so it was a nice surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This is the worst of weather, 2 or 3 degrees too mild for snow or wintry precip but feeling bitterly cold and with cold blustery rain showers.

Hopefully we can tap into proper cold or at least just have a nice cold high with sunshine and frosty nights.

I fear the prospective easterly ahead is going to be awful for those on east coast, very cold with frequent rain and hail showers.

It is a real shame there is no proper cold to our east.

See this is why I appreciate the 14c and windy/showery days we often get in December that you all seem to hate, a far cry better than this nonsense at least it isn't painful when you step outside and you don't need your heat on in the day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We had a good few cm's last night before it melted, i didnt expect it at all so it was a nice surprise

you were very lucky to get that, you must be on high ground slightly? Most other parts of Meath had a sleety 10 minutes before it turned to cold rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Sligo and Kerry

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Today and tonight northwesterly winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h with gusts of 90 to 110km/h, strongest on coasts.

Valid: 14:00 Monday 28/12/2020 to 07:00 Tuesday 29/12/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

See this is why I appreciate the 14c and windy/showery days we often get in December that you all seem to hate, a far cry better than this nonsense at least it isn't painful when you step outside and you don't need your heat on in the day.

To be honest I think you are gone soft. Embrace the cold, refreshing! :)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

To be honest I think you are gone soft. Embrace the cold, refreshing! :)
    I don't mind dry cold but there has been near constant rain since the end of October. Roads flooded, fields waterlogged. An earlier post said that there was record rain this year. I hope it dries out in January, some cold crisp weather would be a welcome change from mild muck and cold muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Kermit, Wednesday morning is looking interesting, possible snowfest for some, especially inland towards east as cold layer is established over night Tuesday into Wednesday morning.

537395.jpg
    537396.jpg

537397.jpg
    537398.jpg

537399.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Emme wrote: »
    I don't mind dry cold but there has been near constant rain since the end of October. Roads flooded, fields waterlogged. An earlier post said that there was record rain this year. I hope it dries out in January, some cold crisp weather would be a welcome change from mild muck and cold muck.

The next week or so look wonderful. Dry, cold and sunny. Perfect timing really.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We just have to hope the system on Wednesday keeps it's current track.

Regarding the longer term outlook, i see the UKMO long range makes no mention of significant cold within the next two weeks. I wonder is it a case of them just being cautious for now, rather them not seeing any significant cold happening.

• Advertisement

There was a nice sunset this evening, hopefully that link works.

IMG-20201228-163627.jpg

Advertisement