Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

There's serious cold showing up on some model runs, forum is going to be very busy if any of this comes to pass.

Atlantic sort of died out around a week ago, gave it one last try and said he's taking the next month off, by the looks of the GFS guidance. This intrigues me because normally the GFS will revert to zonality towards the end of most runs.

Happy new year to all and let's hope we see some improvements in these unpleasant times, as well as some real winter synoptics (but if we have to choose, let's go with the real winter synoptics).

MTCs post fill us with great hope : ) ( but sometimes its the hope that kills ya! This will be different ) enjoy the ride folks whatever the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭mcburns07

bazlers wrote: »
    MTCs post fill us with great hope : ) ( but sometimes its the hope that kills ya! This will be different ) enjoy the ride folks whatever the weather.

The chase is half the fun really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Happy to see a scattering of snow atop the far mountains here. By the time I went in for the camera the cloud was down...

West mayo offshore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Cloudy morning here. No snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Seven stations reporting a temperature of 0c in the Met Éireann 10am reports. Mount Dillon reporting -1c. A good few others are just above freezing at 1c.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Happy to see a scattering of snow atop the far mountains here. By the time I went in for the camera the cloud was down...

West mayo offshore

Just caught this before the cloud moved across. The straight line of the snow.

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    Seven stations reporting a temperature of 0c in the Met Éireann 10am reports. Mount Dillon reporting -1c. A good few others are just above freezing at 1c.

It is certainly bitterly cold out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very cold today but doesn't feel nearly as cold as those cold rain days over the weekend. Temperature so far today hasn't risen above 1C here in Meath making today the second coldest day of the winter so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

A few tiny flakes on the bench this morning.
    Does this count as a snowfall? :o:pac:
    IMG-20201230-112714.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

lolie wrote: »
    IMG-20201230-112714.jpg

More than I have seen!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lolie wrote: »
    IMG-20201230-112714.jpg

that's more than many places have seen!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Gonzo wrote: »
    very cold today but doesn't feel nearly as cold as those cold rain days over the weekend. Temperature so far today hasn't risen above 1C here in Meath making today the second coldest day of the winter so far.

When was the coldest day in your area this winter so far? 6th December?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

that's more than many places have seen!

I couldn't but laugh when i seen it this morning.
    Looking at the charts and the Met E forecast it seems there'll be plenty of showers (snow??) forecast for later tonight and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Decent amounts of precip all day/night along the East Coast tomorrow. Will it be conducive to snow or just rain? Temps look low but not crazy low. I'm 110m ASL D24 area.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Decent amounts of precip all day/night along the East Coast tomorrow. Will it be conducive to snow or just rain? Temps look low but not crazy low. I'm 110m ASL D24 area.

Very close to you! Hoping for something snow related but not very hopeful until early January.......m

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Xenji wrote: »
    Newport has now recorded 2037mm of rain breaking its 2015 record of 2009mm to have its wettest year on record.

Also noticed that Valentia has had its 2nd wettest year on record with 1935.2mm of rain to Dec 29th, only 2009 was wetter.

What a rubbish year.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

A breezy day tomorrow with a mix of sunny spells and scattered showers, turning wintry in places, with the risk of hail and isolated thunderstorms. Highest temperatures of 4 or 5 degrees but feeling colder in fresh and gusty northerly winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

+0.6c here at 15:00. Very cold day but feels OK in the sunshine. Hard frost tonight I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

Nice day in East Clare, sun trying it's best to break through..hardly went above 5 degrees though...

Sunny afternoon here in wexford. Very cold too.

• Advertisement

Magical sky and cloud and snowscapes out here; but bitterly bitterly cold.

Cloud now, and a strange hue to it.

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Holy Duck

Roof of car freezing already, bitter cold morning, glorious afternoon sunshine, off Lambay Island

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

-2.1c here in Meath already, lovely crisp evening

freezing hard now in Meath, everything frozen outside and the grass is starting to take on a white tint already. Temperature here barely above freezing, didn't lift above 1C all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Also noticed that Valentia has had its 2nd wettest year on record with 1935.2mm of rain to Dec 29th, only 2009 was wetter.

What a rubbish year.

The thing I have noticed in Galway is that we get excessive rain for one half of the Oct-March period but before flooding becomes a real problem, there is a long relatively dry spell just in time. It's either a relatively dry run up to Christmas and a very wet Jan-March or vice versa. I was convinced after February this year that we would have serious flooding but then we got 3 months of dry weather and the lakes/rivers receded.

For example Athenry recorded 248mm in February 2020 when the mean is 87mm for Feb. Athenry also had a freak August in 2019 with 297mm when the Aug mean is 107mm. If we get a few freak months back-to-back in the 'winter' months, the rivers will not be able to cope.

Its only a matter of time before we get a full 6 months of very wet weather and then we will see flooding worse than the bad ones in recent years.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭giveitholly

High of 4.8 here in tipp around 3.30, Gone down to 2.7 already with slight cloud cover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

freezing hard now in Meath, everything frozen outside and the grass is starting to take on a white tint already. Temperature here barely above freezing, didn't lift above 1C all day.

Amazing the difference in your part of meath and here in ashbourne. Got up to 4c here briefly earlier this afternoon
    1.5c atm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A lovely cold clear evening here just east of Castlebar. Nice Moon beginning to come up aswel. Love this kind of evening.

A lovely cold clear evening here just east of Castlebar. Nice Moon beginning to come up aswel. Love this kind of evening.
    Same here in wexford. Also saw that moon, had an orange tint to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Is it just me or is there a tiny bit of grand stretch in the evenings, already??

Advertisement