Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ground mounted external conduit

• 27-12-2020 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭

Entering the last stages of ground mount self install and looking for some help from the more knowledgeable here. Just wondering if any here have done a self installed system and if so how did they route the cables into house. I have run 2" esb ducting underground and under path to side of house. Am stumped on how to enter house from there. It needs to go 5 feet up and then one foot to the left before entering house. Also does anyone know if using metal conduit do they have to be earthed?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

irishchris wrote: »
    Entering the last stages of ground mount self install and looking for some help from the more knowledgeable here. Just wondering if any here have done a self installed system and if so how did they route the cables into house. I have run 2" esb ducting underground and under path to side of house. Am stumped on how to enter house from there. It needs to go 5 feet up and then one foot to the left before entering house. Also does anyone know if using metal conduit do they have to be earthed?

What are you using to bring the DC power to the house?

I don't know about metal trunking, but I'm in the start of a install on a shed with the inverter being about 50 m away and we are bringing the dc in on 5 core 6mm² armoured, then you wouldn't have to worry about ducting going up the house, it can be just directly clipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

graememk wrote: »
    What are you using to bring the DC power to the house?

I don't know about metal trunking, but I'm in the start of a install on a shed with the inverter being about 50 m away and we are bringing the dc in on 5 core 6mm² armoured, then you wouldn't have to worry about ducting going up the house, it can be just directly clipped.

I have 4mm DC cabling coming in through 2"pvc esb ducting

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

That should fit in 25mm trunking, And most likely plastic would be fine, Can get black stuff that blends in well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Any chance of photos Chris?

Any chance of photos Chris?

Will do. At the minute just have posts concreted at a south facing 39 degrees angle. Will be bolting cross beams and unistrut before panels next week. Did all the nasty time consuming work first like the digging of trenches through garden and gravel driveway. Planning on getting the cable conduit etc sorted before installing the inverter , switches etc. With Christmas it has stopped for couple days and will get back at it later this week. Will post photos of progress this week when has progressed more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

irishchris wrote: »
    I have 4mm DC cabling coming in through 2"pvc esb ducting

It is armored/SWA?

What size array are you planning? You could lose some Vs over that distance with 4mm.

You can bury/use SWA without the requirement for a conduit AFAIK (as long as the dept is good), so not certain you'd require it.

It is armored/SWA?

What size array are you planning? You could lose some Vs over that distance with 4mm.

You can bury/use SWA without the requirement for a conduit AFAIK (as long as the dept is good), so not certain you'd require it.

Non armoured, 4mm PV cable like those one https://solartricity.ie/electrical-solar-cable-red-25m/

In 2" esb duct at depth of 30 inches with 4ft high 20mm pvc duct on side of house wall. Total distance 20m from panels to inverter. Total array size will be 3.2 kwp

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

bumping this thread as i have a related query.

i have 2 rows with 7 panels each on the ground. the nearest panel to the inverter (in the shed) is ~10m away and the furthest panel is about ~22m. would ye recommend 4mm2 or 6mm2 cable (to reduce losses)?

the second string is on the roof of the shed. only 5 panels with a short run (less than 5m) to the inverter.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Have 25m run with 4mm2 5 core NYM running through shed.

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wire/voltage-drop-calculator.html

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

sound....the drop is minimal so.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Advertisement
Advertisement