Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Quiner

He can't. Hospitals routinely cancel appointments due to infectious diseases/viruses etc. I had an appointment in Galway cancelled a couple years ago as the hospital had an outbreak of that vomiting bug.

Should a woman with cancer be prioritised? Should her chemo treatment have been paused?

EyesClosed wrote: »
    Well can you show me it was hysteria, and not the hospital was over whelmed?

Even if, and I say if because those Nightingale hospitals were never used, there is no way a young woman with cancer should not be an absolute priority. Surely we can agree on that if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Quiner wrote: »
    Should a woman with cancer be prioritised? Should her chemo treatment have been paused?

That's a question for the doctors. As it was paused then I would assume they felt it was correct.

Infectious diseases can take out an entire hospital, they are taken very seriously.

Even if, and I say if because those Nightingale hospitals were never used, there is no way a young woman with cancer should not be an absolute priority. Surely we can agree on that if nothing else.

Emotive but not correct. If you have 2 patients you can deal with you go with the most at risk one that has the highest chance of survival. If your hospital is full of people on ventilators that will die if you take them off then then you don't take docs away from that work for someone that may potentially be at high risk, you deal with the immediate high risk patients.

It's an absolutely terrible situation, I would hate to have to make that decision. In Italy docs had to refuse treatment to people over 65 and basically offer pallitave care only as they were flooded.

• Advertisement

The daily mail is a rag. It should be taken outside and shot with balls of its own ****e in the face.

That aside yes, lockdowns have serious consequences. It's a pity people wouldn't just wear a mask and stop mixing.

The daily mail is a rag. It should be taken outside and shot with balls of its own ****e in the face.

That aside yes, lockdowns have serious consequences. It's a pity people wouldn't just wear a mask and stop mixing.

I knew the paper would be attacked. The researcher is quoted in the article.

People have been wearing masks in Peru, Spain, the Philippines, Italy, France, Germany, the UK. Despite their being hugely effective and important all those countries continue to struggle. While the Nordic countries are fine with no masks, or only recommendations to wear masks. And Sweden is still doing a lot better than the aforementioned countries.

So should lockdowns continue to be considered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

People have been wearing masks in Peru, Spain, the Philippines, Italy, France, Germany, the UK. Despite their being hugely effective and important all those countries continue to struggle. While the Nordic countries are fine with no masks, or only recommendations to wear masks. And Sweden is still doing a lot better than the aforementioned countries.

Nope you are right.
    End the lockdown, end masks, end social distancing.
    Straight back to normal tomorrow, open everything up again. Let's just let the old and vulnerable die, sure its only a cold anyway.

This what you want us to say?

Well, it is a rag. I didn't disagree with the researcher, I just don't like the daily mail.

The Nordic countries do have mandatory mask regulations. Stop saying they do not. Sweden's policy has been widely lambasted. They are a terrible example for you to use.

Correct mask usage is one of the steps we can take to reduce virus transmission. It is a lie to state otherwise.

I hate lockdowns, I do not see a better alternative given the vaccines are not yet widely distributed. Your own suggestion of cocooning was an unmitigated disaster when the UK tried it.

Nope you are right.
    End the lockdown, end masks, end social distancing.
    Straight back to normal tomorrow, open everything up again. Let's just let the old and vulnerable die, sure its only a cold anyway.

This what you want us to say?

Or try a different approach. In Tanzania the people prayed to God and He removed covid from the country: https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-africa-52966016

Prayer could work here as well.

And I'm not trolling. The President of Tanzania said it worked. The obvious question is "and you believe him?" We haven't heard anything about Tanzania being overflowing with victims of covid. Life is back to normal there.

• Advertisement

Or try a different approach. In Tanzania the people prayed to God and He removed covid from the country: https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-africa-52966016

Prayer could work here as well.

And I'm not trolling. The President of Tanzania said it worked. The obvious question is "and you believe him?" We haven't heard anything about Tanzania being overflowing with victims of covid. Life is back to normal there.

OK you're trolling... Prayer... Amazing

Well, it is a rag. I didn't disagree with the researcher, I just don't like the daily mail.

The Nordic countries do have mandatory mask regulations. Stop saying they do not. Sweden's policy has been widely lambasted. They are a terrible example for you to use.

Correct mask usage is one of the steps we can take to reduce virus transmission. It is a lie to state otherwise.

I hate lockdowns, I do not see a better alternative given the vaccines are not yet widely distributed. Your own suggestion of cocooning was an unmitigated disaster when the UK tried it.

Recommendations mainly. No oppressive mandates.

Okay, I've pointed out countries where they are mandatory everywhere that still have huge case numbers and deaths. But people aren't willing to accept that that shows they don't work, so there's no point in labouring the point.

Didn't someone once describe the definition of insanity? Wasn't it doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

Recommendations mainly. No oppressive mandates.

Okay, I've pointed out countries where they are mandatory everywhere that still have huge case numbers and deaths. But people aren't willing to accept that that shows they don't work, so there's no point in labouring the point.

Didn't someone once describe the definition of insanity? Wasn't it doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

No you're right... Prayer is the answer

No you're right... Prayer is the answer

Well life is back to normal there.

From an article I just read:

"Tanzania’s President shrugged off the virus, saying his son got it but recovered after taking lemon and ginger. He argued that their economy was more important than stopping the virus. So he stopped virus reporting. They stopped reporting virus cases and deaths May 8, and declared the country virus-free.

It hasn’t been clear to me what the situation on the ground is like, but my award booking partner Steve Belkin just spent two weeks there and files this report,

"Irrespective of anyone’s position about [Tanzania’s] President’s competency or even sanity, there is a new reality in Tanzania the last three months based on his assumption of ‘no Covid-19’ being government policy – no requirements for social distancing, mask-wearing or test taking. In effect, the new normal here is actually the old normal. Imagine life before mid-March 2020, that is Tanzania."

So they're back to pre-March while we're looking at another year at least of lockdowns.

Well life is back to normal there.

From an article I just read:

"Tanzania’s President shrugged off the virus, saying his son got it but recovered after taking lemon and ginger. He argued that their economy was more important than stopping the virus. So he stopped virus reporting. They stopped reporting virus cases and deaths May 8, and declared the country virus-free.

It hasn’t been clear to me what the situation on the ground is like, but my award booking partner Steve Belkin just spent two weeks there and files this report,

"Irrespective of anyone’s position about [Tanzania’s] President’s competency or even sanity, there is a new reality in Tanzania the last three months based on his assumption of ‘no Covid-19’ being government policy – no requirements for social distancing, mask-wearing or test taking. In effect, the new normal here is actually the old normal. Imagine life before mid-March 2020, that is Tanzania."

So they're back to pre-March while we're looking at another year at least of lockdowns.

Well at least we know for a fact you're trolling now

Well at least we know for a fact you're trolling now

A man went there and described how life is completely back to normal there. Whether you agree with the approach taken or not, it does not change the fact that life there is completely normal while here we're looking at lockdowns potentially forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's like the mask thing. The real world evidence shows their useless (Peru, Spain, Italy, France, the US, the Philippines), but we keep hearing about how effective and essential they are. Another study out today showing that they are ineffective.

An article about the study: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9080597/Cloth-masks-NOT-stop-spread-COVID-19-without-social-distancing.html

Amazing that you seemed to only read the headline but not the actual articel which stated this in the study:

"They found that while all masks blocked at least 95 per cent of droplets from coughs and sneezes - there was still a risk of the disease being passed on.

Although cloth masks stopped 96.4 per cent of sneeze droplets at a distance of six feet, they still let more than 1,000 through - which the scientists said could carry enough virus particles to trigger an infection."

Perhaps you expect perfection, but I'd say that 95% is pretty effective.

No one has ever said that masks are a cure, in fact specifically that social distancing is required regardless. I'd bet if you had to have surgery, you wouldn't be telling the theatre staff that there is no need for them to wear masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's against the law to assault somebody, yet you, I, or most people would slap someone in the face or even punch thenm to snap them out of a panic if you were trying to save them from drowning or if they were fitting and you needed to wedge their mouth open and shove a spoon in to stop them swallowing their tongue.

But that isn't assault. Otherwise, anyone using a defibrillator could be classed as using electricity for torture.

LAZYIRISH wrote: »
    Hi eyesclosed , and all who liked your ,THIS post. Where were all of you guys the past 50 years that the old ,vulnerable and elderly have died from pneumonia, heart diseases and of course the flu and its complications long before covid came. You lot are hypocrites, let me repeat that you are HYPOCRITES ! There are now people dying from other diseases let alone covid& you dont care.
    So don't come on here pretending you give two ****es about people dying from covid , pathetic you sit there in your dark rooms typing responses all day.

I have the lights on, thanks. This is an infectious disease, it can completely shut down a hospital, that's why it is taking precedence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭LAZYIRISH

I have the lights on, thanks. This is an infectious disease, it can completely shut down a hospital, that's why it is taking precedence.

Yes so are all those diseases and viruses I mentioned where were you all ? Why were they not important they killed more elderly and vulnerable people that covid has to date.

• Advertisement

Yes so are all those diseases and viruses I mentioned where were you all ? Why were they not important they killed more elderly and vulnerable people that covid has to date.

We have vaccines for the infectious ones. Where is your thread about them?

We have vaccines for the infectious ones. Where is your thread about them?

Why would I need a thread ? Clearly the vaccines dont work for people , my point still stands more people have died where were you.

Why would I need a thread ? Clearly the vaccines dont work for people , my point still stands more people have died where were you.

This is a covid thread, here we talk about covid. If you are so keen on talking about other things where is your thread on them? Do you have anything useful to contribute here? Apart from nonsense about vaccines not working.

I see you deleted the original post I was responding
    to eyesclosed.

I see you deleted the original post I was responding
    to eyesclosed.

I didn't delete anything, nor can i. Put the glass down.

Ya I was responding to eyesclosed about covid and all other infectious viruses he chose to ignore. I am not keen to go on about the other infections, I asked him a question but you responded ,he has deleted the original post. I wont respond again but his post was hypocritical had to point it out.

I didn't delete anything, nor can i. Put the glass down.

Have you two accounts maybe you are getting confused with them, it was eyesclosed that deleted his post and whom I was responding to. Lol I dont drink I'm breastfeeding.

Have you two accounts maybe you are getting confused with them, it was eyesclosed that deleted his post and whom I was responding to. Lol I dont drink I'm breastfeeding.

Just tired so. Go have a rest and then maybe come back and contribute meaningfully as I have no idea what your point is.

If you are responding to a post you should hit quote

It's something I was wondering about the other day. Considering the flu vaccine isn't that effective, for example, I wonder were perfectly healthy people getting tested every day for the flu last year, as they are at the moment, wearing masks in the company of elderly people etc. The flu can be very dangerous for the elderly in particular.

And before I'm accused of claiming that covid is no worse than the flu, that's not what I'm saying.

• Advertisement

It's something I was wondering about the other day. Considering the flu vaccine isn't that effective, for example, I wonder were perfectly healthy people getting tested every day for the flu last year, as they are at the moment, wearing masks in the company of elderly people etc. The flu can be very dangerous for the elderly in particular.

And before I'm accused of claiming that covid is no worse than the flu, that's not what I'm saying.

It is what I meant also, it is very hypocritical for people to give so much on this virus yet these elderly and vulnerable men & women have been dying for years of the latter& no such fuss has been made, and to say human beings with cancer & other ailments are less important is sick disgusting thing to say ,to me anyway. Our nurses and doctors have the ppe there to protect them and it should be used , patients should be seen for other serious diseases and not have appointments cancelled.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement