Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EU261 query

• 22-12-2020 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've just had 3 flights cancelled over the last 3 days. They are Ireland to UK so no reason it can't go. Sunday night Monday flight cancelled rebooked Tuesday. Monday night Tuesday flight cancelled rebooked for Wednesday. Now Wednesday cancelled

I've not been on this situation before is this one EU261 claim or 3 for the individual flights?

Cheers,

Woden

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I highly doubt EU261 would be applicable in this case. The airline wouldn’t cancel if this was a concern of theirs. They will fight any claim I’d say. You will be entitled to a refund or a free transfer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its one booking so one flight for those purposes.

However, I don't think you're getting anything other than a refund here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Ok I had assumed eu261 would be fine in itself as there is no reason (aside from the airlines issues) why it couldnt operate the flights. I was more considering if it was one or multiple claims. I guess it's the booking versus flight aspect.

Would be happy with one claim though to cover costs. We booked an alternate flight with another airline. Over stayed on parking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

You'll defo be entitled to a refund. I presume that Covid-19 classifies as an 'extraordinary circumstance' though for the purposes of Reg 261/2004, therefore, you will not be entitled to any compensation.

Yeah but there was no covid related restrictions from flights out of Ireland to the UK (just the other way around) so I guess I was hoping it would be covered

• Advertisement

Woden wrote: »
    Yeah but there was no covid related restrictions from flights out of Ireland to the UK (just the other way around) so I guess I was hoping it would be covered

What was the reason given by the airline?

"We regret to advise you that due to ongoing changes to travel restrictions, at very short notice, we have no alternative and are forced to cancel your flight(s):"

Ah well will see how it goes. Will submit the form when I've got a chance

They were cancelled because the flights were likely round-trips. UK flights being cancelled due to restrictions = extraordinary circumstances. That's what the airline will tell you anyways. You would likely need to file a claim in the small claims court to get anywhere imo, but no harm in trying.

Yeah that was my initial thought on the cancellation. Although I thought that was fine for the Monday but for it to carry on until the Tuesday/Wednesday it has been problematic. I'll make an argument for the case and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Woden wrote: »
    Yeah that was my initial thought on the cancellation. Although I thought that was fine for the Monday but for it to carry on until the Tuesday/Wednesday it has been problematic. I'll make an argument for the case and see how it goes.

Yes, you have a case and you should fight it all the way. Claim for everything.

Now, is that what you want to hear because everyone else keeps saying you have no case and you are still arguing the point. Throw a claim in, the least they can do it say no! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I will put a case in as I think I have a case. If the cancellation was on the outbound leg UK-IRL I would agree it falls under extraordinary circumstances. From my perspective I've had (multiple) flights cancelled with no covid restrictions on the IRL-UK legs. Whether they agree with remains to be seen

https://www.telfa.law/news/eu261-compensation-in-the-context-of-covid-19/

Reading this here it would look like I might not have a case so we might just have to suck it up on the cost here. There is a section on opposite direction flights

Advertisement