Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

I was bemused at the idea of it... didn't matter whether it was real or not. There wasn't any outrage or shock involved.

I'm well past that point at this stage of the thread. Just simple bemusement now. :D

Laugh you may, but your hate talk is denying the lived experiences of such intrepid champions of free speech like this journalist

https://thoughtcatalog.com/anne-gus/2014/07/drinking-coffee-is-racist/

Whatever about cultural appropriation of coffee, the overt racism of milk, and its use as a symbol if white supremacy:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5bffad35e4b0864f4f6a3e28

At last the bastion of impartial journalistic integrity is tackling the "murky history involving cow’s milk", and how people of colour are disproportionately affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Any link to the actual article? I can't find it anywhere, just images like this. It's almost like it's not real.

That’s fake, sure. But there have been real life headlines that have been just as bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

That’s fake, sure. But there have been real life headlines that have been just as bonkers.

sure - but calling one group of people mad is one thing, but if you are then making up bonkers stories to do so then that also put you in the bonkers category!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I've seen this so many times. Made up screenshots of headlines presented as real.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Just want to quote this from two days ago...
    46 Long wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

https://www.peta.org/blog/cows-milk-perfect-drink-supremacists/

Why Cow’s Milk Is the Perfect Drink for Supremacists

Published March 7, 2017 by Zachary Toliver. Last Updated October 24, 2018.
    As when Christoph Waltz’s character in Inglorious Bastards drinks a glass of milk and a character in a pivotal scene of Get Out sips the cow secretion, dairy milk has long been embraced as a symbol of white supremacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

km991148 wrote: »
    sure - but calling one group of people mad is one thing, but if you are then making up bonkers stories to do so then that also put you in the bonkers category!

I think people do it to highlight that parody isn’t too far from reality sometimes.
    I've seen this so many times. Made up screenshots of headlines presented as real.

Well, yeah, it’s prudent to look into these barmy headlines further, sure. But I’ve googled headlines, being sure that they would be fake, only to be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Speaking of Tattianna I recommend you read this thread.

https://twitter.com/TitaniaMcGrath/status/1339977959508226048

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ineed Wibbs. Can you imagine the reaction of Arab or Oriental men, or any "native" men for that matter, if all of a sudden they see their women on TV constantly in the arms of a white or black man? They'd rightly kick off over it. Yet we here in the west are so castrated you barely here a murmur about it. You'd be called wacist and of course that's worse than death...

Could you not find a more appropriate platform for your 'stealin our wimmin' bull****? You surely aren't surprised when people think you're racist when you're openly and unapologetically racist?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Biker79 wrote: »
    The issue isn't mixed-race couples...its ad agencies/ media companies tripping over themselves to signal their virtue by highlighting mixed-race couples when
    it's clearly not representative of a target audience

It has a veneer of ideological propaganda, rather than something grounded in everyday life. There is a discomfort that if you point out the incongruence depicted, you might just be told to shut up for being racist.

I was in a LTR with someone of a different race, so I'm familiar with the day to day dynamics of it, rather than the ideology. And let me tell you, there were some very strange remarks from people you would consider as Woke.

Have you ever noticed how woke advertisers always use really good looking people in their ads even though most if their target audience aren't even models? It's a sneaky thing that's been going on for some time by the sheeple haven't copped on yet. Goddamn handsome agenda!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Speaking of Tattianna I recommend you read this thread.
    It's frightening how the muppetry is gaining so much ground so fast.
    The race to the bottom is really a race, not a crawl.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

biko wrote: »
    It's mostly in media and marketing and in the former you can find quite "robust" hardliners on the other side, particularly in online media. So you have the right on BBC, but you also have Fox News, you have the Guardian and the Daily Mail. In most people's daily lives the woke stuff doesn't really register. It's certainly registering more than it did, but these things go in cycles and it's not exactly the end is nigh time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's mostly in media and marketing and in the former you can find quite "robust" hardliners on the other side, particularly in online media. So you have the right on BBC, but you also have Fox News, you have the Guardian and the Daily Mail. In most people's daily lives the woke stuff doesn't really register. It's certainly registering more than it did, but these things go in cycles and it's not exactly the end is nigh time.

Yeah, this is thing about this "woke" stuff. It's presence remains largely online and it's usually people losing their crap over some nonsense that barely shows up in their "real" lives. An ad they won't remember in a month's time, or some idiot's tweet that will be replaced by another idiot's tweet is due course...and life goes on. Or better yet, a deliberately fake jpg designed to fool so called "conservatives".

Amazing how worked up some people can get about it.

As a topic of mild discussion, it can pass an hour. But people looking for - and then falling to pieces over - this nonsense have way too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yeah, this is thing about this "woke" stuff. It's presence remains largely online and it's usually people losing their crap over some nonsense that barely shows up in their "real" lives. An ad they won't remember in a month's time, or some idiot's tweet that will be replaced by another idiot's tweet is due course...and life goes on. Or better yet, a deliberately fake jpg designed to fool so called "conservatives".

As a topic of mild discussion, it can pass an hour. But people looking for - and then falling to pieces over - this nonsense have way too much time on their hands.

They are small in number but they are very prominent and have am impact much bigger than their numbers suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Have you ever noticed how woke advertisers always use really good looking people in their ads even though most if their target audience aren't even models? It's a sneaky thing that's been going on for some time by the sheeple haven't copped on yet. Goddamn handsome agenda!

Never noticed. I'm a bit of handsome b***d myself, so ..there is that. Unlike wokies, who tend to be a bit weird looking. Yep...they have this peculiar mix of asymmetry and bitterness, often topped off with purple hair, which grates on the eyeballs after a while.

I'm sure you can do better than that though. I can see you're just itching to point your finger and shout ' racist '. Top tip: get yourself a holiday to the UAE. The systemic racism on display there is truly eye-opening. Just the mini project for a group of righteous wokies to engage in some furious finger-wagging.

Let us know how you get on there :pac:

Tony EH wrote: »

I think it depends on the lives of the people involved. I know that the people who talk to me about issues are generally working for foreign multinational companies, whose HR has brought in some odd or bizarre ideas into the workplace. Their lives have been/are affected by such ideology. Also I encounter it far more abroad in other countries than in Ireland... I don't think people realise how lucky they are to live in Ireland.

But sure, most people here aren't being directly affected by it. yet

I think it depends on the lives of the people involved. I know that the people who talk to me about issues are generally working for foreign multinational companies, whose HR has brought in some odd or bizarre ideas into the workplace. Their lives have been/are affected by such ideology. Also I encounter it far more abroad in other countries than in Ireland... I don't think people realise how lucky they are to live in Ireland.

But sure, most people here aren't being directly affected by it. yet

Its gathering pace in Ireland. I notice it in Tech. But you are right...it emanates from HR departments, who have gained a stranglehold on a strategic part of operations, which is who gets hired and fired.

Interview with an engineer fired from Google which is worth watching for its insight into Googles culture in 2017. Note that this is not unusual in those large tech companies, and the smaller ones mostly look to the larger ones for influence and direction.

Although he was fired, I think Google made the right choice, but only because technically, he signed up to abide by the culture of Google and not to contradict it. He was getting paid to do that. However, it's interesting and I see the ripples of that particular culture in smaller organisations.

Biker79 wrote: »
    Its gathering pace in Ireland. I notice it in Tech. But you are right...it emanates from HR departments, who have gained a stranglehold on a strategic part of operations, which is who gets hired and fired.

Gathering pace in many sectors, a friend of mine works for one of the big 4 here in Dublin - his department have to put their pronouns at the footer when communicating with eachother via email etc, they also aren't permitted to use gendered nouns such as collectively referring to a group as "guys"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

It's a bit naive to think this is not embedded in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Gathering pace in many sectors, a friend of mine works for one of the big 4 here in Dublin - his department have to put their pronouns at the footer when communicating with eachother via email etc, they also aren't permitted to use gendered nouns such as collectively referring to a group as "guys"
    Ah lads, that's cat!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Can you ask them:P to send a copy of the office policy document for this?

I would like to read it. Don't panic you don't have to tell us which one they:) are working for.

Asking for a friend btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Someone made a good point, they said make your woke and liberal types commit to what they think is a step too far, something they would never agree with.

Then in 6-12 months time, when the lunacy has spread to past that line in the sand that they drew, point out that they're either four square behind it now or refuse to publically say their agin it.

Bambi wrote: »
    Someone made a good point, they said make your woke and liberal types commit to what they think is a step too far, something they would never agree with.

Then in 6-12 months time, when the lunacy has spread to past that line in the sand that they drew, point out that they're either four square behind it now or refuse to publically say their agin it.

haha, sorry but that's not going to work. The woke types tend to be masters of shifting goalposts. You'll quickly find them redefining the agreed statements depending on how they feel at that given moment.. because that's the reality they have created for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

haha, sorry but that's not going to work. The woke types tend to be masters of shifting goalposts. You'll quickly find them redefining the agreed statements depending on how they feel at that given moment.. because that's the reality they have created for themselves.

What defines a "woke type" it's a strange term. Is there degrees of wokeness. For example I have no problem with gay marriage. That isn't particularly woke ( I think I'm using the term correctly), but 15 or 20 years ago that opinion would be met with ridicule.

I'm of the opinion there are definitely silly ideas knocking around but overall when you interact in everyday situations vast majority of people are still fairly sensible.

Even with the silly notions around today I would still prefer modern western society now than any time in the past. I certainly would not want to return to the social norms of the 1970s

That may be but there are people chipping away at the system and they are not going away.
    • Irish Labour Senator Ivana Bacik wants to reverse the 2004 referendum.
    • Brandon Hasbrouck, an assistant professor at Washington and Lee University School of Law, think votes of black Americans should count twice.
    There are more examples, and these are people in power, not some internet dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

That may be but there are people chipping away at the system and they are not going away.
    • Irish Labour Senator Ivana Bacik wants to reverse the 2004 referendum.
    • Brandon Hasbrouck, an assistant professor at Washington and Lee University School of Law, think votes of black Americans should count twice.
    There are more examples, and these are people in power, not some internet dude.

None of those people are in power and none of those things will happen.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Can you ask them:P to send a copy of the office policy document for this?

I would like to read it. Don't panic you don't have to tell us which one they:) are working for.

Asking for a friend btw.

I haven’t any of the internal communications, just what was mentioned to me - it may only be for the duration of the time they’re consulting for a big tech company beginning with an F

joe40 wrote: »
    None of those people are in power and none of those things will happen.
    I wish I had your optimism but don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I haven’t any of the internal communications, just what was mentioned to me - it may only be for the duration of the time they’re consulting for a big tech company beginning with an F

Sounds like BS to me, sorry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement