Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should I give up micro generation payments?

• 21-12-2020 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

For the last few years I've been part of the ESB micro generation payment scheme where they pay me 9cents per unit that I export and the credit comes back via my Electric Ireland electricity bill.

The average annual payment over the last 4 years has been €48 - I only have 5 solar panels on the roof.

I've discovered that if I change electricity supplier to energia then I can save €290 in 1 year -- so its a no brainer to change supplier.

However ESB networks will only pay the export via a credit on an electric ireland bill, therefore if I change supplier I will loose the export credit arrangement.....so is there any reason not to give up the micro generation arrangement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

48 e v 290 e is still a saving of 242.

I assume you've done the maths and not just looked at bonkers.
    Are you on a night rate meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Ask Electric Ireland if they can do you a better deal, they may give you a better rate or offer you a one off payment to stay with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭touchdown77

48 e v 290 e is still a saving of 242.

I assume you've done the maths and not just looked at bonkers.
    Are you on a night rate meter?

Yes I've a night rate meter... the energia rates are 33% cheaper for day rate and 35% for night rate, standing charge is €7 cheaper, so winning all round.

I spoke to Electric Ireland, the offered €100 credit but rates would remain unchanged so the wouldn't be any saving over a 12m term.

Pity that I've to quit export scheme but hopefully if they introduce a proper one in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I only have 5 solar panels on the roof.

Why? I presume your pay back is not capped to those 5 panels and you could export up to 6kW at any time?

You don't realise how lucky you are with the 9c FIT. When us plebs will eventually get it (or should I say "if"), we are unlikely to get much more than half that. If I were you I'd plaster my roof with panels. Get the parts at good prices, do the install yourself and with that feed in tariff, the payback period for those extra panels is no more than 5 years. Or in other words 20% ROI tax free :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭touchdown77

unkel wrote: »
    Why? I presume your pay back is not capped to those 5 panels and you could export up to 6kW at any time?

You don't realise how lucky you are with the 9c FIT. When us plebs will eventually get it (or should I say "if"), we are unlikely to get much more than half that. If I were you I'd plaster my roof with panels. Get the parts at good prices, do the install yourself and with that feed in tariff, the payback period for those extra panels is no more than 5 years. Or in other words 20% ROI tax free :cool:

Interesting idea...I could certainly work the cost/benefit numbers

I only have 5 panels because when the house was built in 2014 prices were only starting to come down so it was a bit of a rush job and tick the box for renewables...luckily I got in on the feed in tariff before it closed.

My roof layout may not be ideal for a large number of panels because I've a fairly limited south facing roof area but I could post up my roof drawings if someone would be so kind as to suggest where the panels would be effective....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Everywhere! Ground mounted if you have to :)

Advertisement