Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar Presents: The Very 1st TV Walrus

Options
  • 20-12-2020 3:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

Sneaky middle-of-the-night Brand Spanking New Game Announcement...

We've done Music, we've done Movies, TV was obviously the next logical step for a Walrus Spin-Off...

They said it couldn't be done given the sheer amount of episodes in a TV Show, but I've thought of a way that will ***fingers crossed*** make it work, and it's pretty obvious when you think about it...

How It Works

Only the First 3 Episodes of the submitted TV Shows will be used for Judging Purposes. Even if I've already seen any of the Shows, the First 3 Episodes are the ones that matter, they'll be the ones I'll be watching/re-watching, so you'll want to go for something that gets off to a strong start. Ideally, the shows should lure me in enough by the 3rd episode that I want to watch more, once I'm done with The Walrus.

Other than that little caveat, it's the same as your standard Music or Movie Walrus, where the host decides the categories and the players submit their choices via PM.

When the host has watched and scored the categories, there will be a grand reveal and points will be awarded, certain shows ripped to shreds and others praised wrongly or rightfully so, because as with music and film, TV tastes are subjective, and as always I'm all over the shop in what I like and don't like.

Why Am I Doing This?

Quite simply, I love TV, both as a viewer and as someone who has worked in the industry, both behind the scenes and in front of the camera on a handful of shows, and I thought this would be a fun game to try out... so hopefully it works out and there's enough interest in it.

I don't think there's any genres that I actively dislike, I'm pretty much open to anything.

As this is the first of a new game, I intend to Go Big for the inaugural TV Walrus, because we're doing 8 Categories!!! (why yes, I am completely insane, thanks for asking... :pac:)

Oh, and don't worry about any of your nominations being too obvious, it'll be fun to revisit things and critique them from a fresh perspective. No doubt there'll be some new discoveries for me along the way too anyway, so its all good.

The Categories

1. Back In The '90s I Was Into a Very Famous TV Show ; everyone loved TV in the '90s right? I certainly did anyway, so to kick things off, hit me with a '90s classic that you loved, which was aired either entirely or mostly in the '90s. If something went off the air for more than 10 years, and then was brought back because studios are reluctant to use original ideas, as long as its main run was in the '90s, that's fair game.

2. Adapted for Television ; exactly what it says on the tin for this one… Give me something that was adapted from another medium, be it books, comics, video games, films, etc.

3. Stick To That Tried & Tested Formula ; for this one I want a show that typically does the same old sh*t week in and week out, your Police Procedurals or Monster of the Week type thing, you know what I mean, nothing with a big ongoing arc, something you could theoretically tune into any episode anywhere in the run (I'll still be reacting to only the first 3) and still know exactly what is happening, and any genre is fair game.

4. Born Too Late to Appreciate The Classics ; I was born back in 1987, so for this one, quite simply I want a show that had finished its run and closed up shop before I was born on March 15th '87

5. Bam! Right In The Childhood! ; send me one of your childhood favourites, whether it be live action or animation, whatever it was that grabbed your attention as a youngster

6. Underrated & Unappreciated ; give me something that you absolutely loved but not enough people seem to have seen or it never got the attention that you thought it deserved.

7. 21st Century Comedy ; another one that should be fairly obvious, just send me a Comedy Series that began airing from 2000 onwards. I'm not gonna be a stickler for definitions of what is or isn't a Comedy, comedy-dramas or whatever are fine its up to yourselves, just be aware I'm looking for something that leans more on the funny side of the spectrum.

8. Must See TV ; this is your chance to make a massive impression on me, give me something that'll have me on the edge of my seat, a water-cooler type show, where I can't wait to watch the next episode.

and just for those at the back who weren't listening earlier, I'm only reacting to the first 3 episodes of the shows, got that? Okay? Good! :D

Sumbissions and Deadlines

Send me a PM with your choices (1 TV Show per Category, for those unfamiliar with how Walrus works) and please provide IMDB links to the TV Show (just to make sure I watch the right one).

Also please make it clear which category you're submitting each TV Show for to avoid any confusion, especially as a lot of these are fairly broad.

I'm pretty well versed in sourcing TV Shows online, so don't worry about where I can or can't watch it, if I have any problem finding one of your choices, I'll let you know

I don't want to set any limits on how many players we'll have, the more the merrier, and as for a deadline, I'm going to play it by ear, and see how many fish are biting before settling on anything concrete, but I'm going to put a tentative closing date of 11pm on December 28th which will give you all plenty of time to get the thinking caps on before or after Presents Day when you need a break from the family or whatever.

I may extend the deadline beyond that depending on how submissions are looking, but for the time being, if you're interested I recommend trying to get your choices in by December 28th.

For those used to my speedy turn-around times with Walruses, I'm gonna be taking my time with this one a bit more, given the amount of categories that I've set, so don't expect the usual blink and you'll miss it speed I tend to do things at. Don't worry though, I'll still be relatively fast compared to the pace some people do Walruses at, just saying I ain't going to rush it... ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Was not expecting anything in within 25 minutes of posting given the time of the night, but 1 entry in already. Whoop!

tenor.gif?itemid=5982576

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Im more into movies than tv but this is too good not to play. ..and 8 cats, you are awesome LeVar :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

JoyousSickLacewing-max-1mb.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

tenor.gif

An interesting concept this.
    The first three episodes stipulation will rule out a lot of great shows though. Sometimes a show takes a couple of series to really hit it's stride.
    A wildcard round where everyone picks their fave episode of a show could be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The first three episodes stipulation will rule out a lot of great shows though. Sometimes a show takes a couple of series to really hit it's stride.
    A wildcard round where everyone picks their fave episode of a show could be interesting.

It leaves it open for others to have a go and differ the format too imo.

Maybe 'best episode' of a show, or last three episodes, or best second season whatever.

Definitely makes things interesting and I'll probably run one myself (solo :pac: ) after Christmas

That was kind of by design, never been a big fan of being recommended a show, only to be told that it takes a couple of seasons to get going, and personally I prefer to watch something new from the very beginning, not jump in any old place.

I am obviously a fan of many shows that take awhile to get the ball rolling, so I did briefly consider a round where selected episodes be picked, but that was also before I had 8 other categories in mind... ;)

As its the first of hopefully many TV Walruses, I decided to keep it simple this time around and not add that element of having people have to also think of individual episodes to nominate, but obviously other hosts can tinker with the parameters themselves going forward, as Necro mentioned...

Honestly I was more worried no one would enter at all, but 4 people in already so I think its going well... :D

What about tv shows with stand alone seasons, can we nominate a specific season?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I think a couple of mine definitely do take a while to get going... I may have rushed this entry...

Kolido wrote: »
    What about tv shows with stand alone seasons, can we nominate a specific season?

Nah, I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to TV, so even if they can be watched separately, I'm still someone who'd rather watch even shows like that from the very beginning, so for this Walrus anyway, first 3 episodes of the enitre show.

• Advertisement

cee_jay wrote: »
    I think a couple of mine definitely do take a while to get going... I may have rushed this entry...

You're more than welcome to make changes, anytime between now and the time I announce nominations are closed (which at the moment isn't until Dec. 28th)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

LeVar the walrus king on to tv shows now, will get thinking

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    LeVar the walrus king on to tv shows now, will get thinking

If I had to choose between being a King or a Queen, I'd be a Queen every day of the week... Kings are generally a bit thick and terrible at making good decisions, Queen's are usually badass, ruthless, and make great music...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Great new twist to the walrus game, sent in some of my favorite tv shows so hope you enjoy them

If I had to choose between being a King or a Queen, I'd be a Queen every day of the week... Kings are generally a bit thick and terrible at making good decisions, Queen's are usually badass, ruthless, and make great music...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Queen LeVar I will not nominate Firefly in any category, I will try and surprise you with some hopefully underrated gems ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Queen LeVar I will not nominated Firefly in any category, I will try and surprise you with some hopefully underrated gems ;):p

Oooo firefly, good call

Liz, giving the competition ideas... :D

Rikand wrote: »
    Oooo firefly, good call
    Mr E wrote: »
    Disney in the early stages of a Firefly reboot..

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/firefly-reboot-disney.html

Nah, I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to TV, so even if they can be watched separately, I'm still someone who'd rather watch even shows like that from the very beginning, so for this Walrus anyway, first 3 episodes of the enitre show.

Some shows improved after the pilot with changes so you will be watching more than just the pilot episode?

Some shows improved after the pilot with changes so you will be watching more than just the pilot episode?

I'll be watching the first 3 episodes of every show...
    Only the First 3 Episodes of the submitted TV Shows will be used for Judging Purposes. Even if I've already seen any of the Shows, the First 3 Episodes are the ones that matter, they'll be the ones I'll be watching/re-watching, so you'll want to go for something that gets off to a strong start. Ideally, the shows should lure me in enough by the 3rd episode that I want to watch more, once I'm done with The Walrus.

and just for those at the back who weren't listening earlier, I'm only reacting to the first 3 episodes of the shows, got that? Okay? Good!
    Nah, I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to TV, so even if they can be watched separately, I'm still someone who'd rather watch even shows like that from the very beginning, so for this Walrus anyway, first 3 episodes of the entire show.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Sean Bean dies in none of my nominated shows
    :P

Six in so far, hopefully quite a few people are just carefully considering their selections, would be great to get 15, but would gladly have much more than that.

Six in so far, hopefully quite a few people are just carefully considering their selections, would be great to get 15, but would gladly have much more than that.

I have most of mine compiled but might switch a few yet. Will defo get an entry in.

I've just had a look over my nominations and I'm quite happy. I think they'll all hold up to the 'first 3 episodes' rule anyway.

Can't quite mitigate for LeVar's taste...

I've just had a look over my nominations and I'm quite happy. I think they'll all hold up to the 'first 3 episodes' rule anyway.

Can't quite mitigate for LeVar's taste...

Neither can I, and therein lies the fun... :D

giphy.gif

Up to 8 players now, keep 'em coming. I need a minimum of 10, but ideally would like 15+, and there's no maximum, I don't care how many episodes of television I have to sit through, so if you know anyone who might enjoy this, be sure to send them this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Haven't forgotten about it LeVar, I will have something for you in the next couple of days

I’m still getting my list together.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Haven't forgotten about it LeVar, I will have something for you in the next couple of days
    I’m still getting my list together.

No rush folks, just trying to bump the thread every so often to try and draw in fresh punters...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

and I'm in!!!

giphy.gif

Advertisement