Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just started!

Options
  • 10-12-2020 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen the odd episode from various seasons over the years, but I decided last week to start from scratch.

Season 1 is over, now starting into Season 2.

Thoroughly enjoying it... I like the slow pace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Sand

mrcheez wrote: »
    I've seen the odd episode from various seasons over the years, but I decided last week to start from scratch.

Season 1 is over, now starting into Season 2.

Thoroughly enjoying it... I like the slow pace.

Just stop at Season 1. Best season, all downhill from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Sand wrote: »
    Just stop at Season 1. Best season, all downhill from there.

Would tend to disagree, Season 4 or 7 when is it goes down hill for most, 4 if you notice its just a round about, 7 is when it just goes stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Season 2 is great... becoming addicted.

I recall seeing the odd episode before with yer man with the baseball bat (Nagan?), and the town fortress thing, but good to watch them all in chronological order so I understand the character development.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Just stop. Anytime after series 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Season 2 is great... becoming addicted.
    The first few season were very good but after that it's just....

KeyPracticalGroundhog-size_restricted.gif

It's like they go from a budget of $1m per episode to $10k per episode.

• Advertisement

Season 2 ended, had a glimpse into Season 3... still going strong... first meeting with Michone I see! (I spotted her in a few of the random ones I saw last year but good to see how they all first meet)

Half way through Season 4 now... it's oddly prophetic watching them dealing with a Covid-like epidemic in the prison given that it was shot in 2013.

I keep thinking "more social distancing folks"!

Still hooked :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Half way through Season 4 now... it's oddly prophetic watching them dealing with a Covid-like epidemic in the prison given that it was shot in 2013.

I keep thinking "more social distancing folks"!

Still hooked :D

It's a strong season. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Are there zombie sharks, and can a zombie shark be jumped?

Over half-way through Season 5... a bit slow moving this one I think, but at least I understand where the mullet guy entered the scene when I saw them in later episodes :D

I actually have seen a lot of these episodes already, in fact I think this is the season I original saw around 3 years ago, though I didn't have the background from the previous 4 seasons so a lot of the rationale behind why the characters behaved a certain way was foreign to me.

• Advertisement

Getting onto Season 8 now... still thoroughly engaged in this. I imagine the reason I'm enjoying it so much is that I don't need to wait a week (or months between seasons) before the next episode, so I can watch one or two episodes a night in a row and the story is still fresh.

Feels good to be kicking Saviour ass at the start here, reminds me of the latter episodes of Game of Thrones.

Ok ok...half way through season 9.

I've been thoroughly enjoying Walking Dead during all seasons and season 9 episode 5 should have been the series finale.

After episode 5 it's started to get a little jump-the-sharkey

Evolution? Ffs...might call it a day soon, but from S1:E1 to S9:E5 it's all been great and worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ok ok...half way through season 9.

I've been thoroughly enjoying Walking Dead during all seasons and season 9 episode 5 should have been the series finale.

After episode 5 it's started to get a little jump-the-sharkey

Evolution? Ffs...might call it a day soon, but from S1:E1 to S9:E5 it's all been great and worth it :)

It should starts getting good now again for you :)

pjohnson wrote: »

I think at this stage I start looking at Fear the Walking Dead... though I have been neglecting my Disney+ and Shudder subs so should probably take in a few flicks first ;)

Right... Angela Kang has completely ruined this for me... was enjoying the thing until Season 9 Episode 5. I persevered for a few more episodes but...

Season 9 Episode 15 is just a pure example of what's wrong with the new format.

The time-jumps used as a lazy excuse to say that certain things have happened, but little explanation as to how or why.

For example (spoiler alert) at the end of S9E15, there's no explanation why *those* people ended up on the spikes, or how they all managed to be together facing Alpha.

One minute they are at the Fair, then next they are dead, and we're supposed to "make up the time in between in our own heads".

Similar with everyone hating Michonne... you'd think by Episode 15 they would have at least explained that one slightly.

Erk.. gonna have to bail... I'll watch the last one in Season 9, but I think I'm done.

Loved it up to this point so wasn't a total waste and glad I got it off my "must see" list

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

You stuck it out a longer than most.

The first series or two of Fear the Walking Dead aren't bad but I didn't go any further.

To be honest the only thing that might have irked me if I was waiting a week between episodes (or months between seasons) was the slow pacing and the time it took to get through various story points.

It usually follows a predictable format of action at the start, bit in the middle and then a bit at the end, sprinkled amidst the slow parts.

Watching it all in quick succession mitigates this somewhat and it didn't really become an issue as the important parts of the story were always fresh in my mind and the slow parts didn't really affect the overall pacing of the experience because I knew that the next "exciting" bit was only an hour away when I watch the next episode.

But at least the character actions were all rational and their reasoning was something that you could understand, rather than now in season 9 where none of that is explained and it might be touched on several episodes later in a flashback. Ick.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If anyone can make it through 7 & 8 then surprised to see that 9 is a problem.

You've got 9/11 seasons watched so it'd annoy me too much NOT to finish the lot at this stage!

If anyone can make it through 7 & 8 then surprised to see that 9 is a problem.

You've got 9/11 seasons watched so it'd annoy me too much NOT to finish the lot at this stage!

I'll see how the finale of Season 9 goes, but seriously episode 15 annoyed me so much I was on the verge of rage-quitting :pac:

It's like the producers got together and thought "who from the cast can we cut as we need to save some money?"

Then they just group them all randomly together and say Alpha killed them, but don't give any context about how they got into that situation.

Completed Season 9 (meh)... and half way through Season 10 just as I've come so far I might as well compete it.

Not particularly enamoured with it now under the new writing... new characters popping up randomly to further the story without any particular context (like
    the guy in Season 10 that appears when Negan escapes and conveniently gives him all his stuff back... where did that guy come from and why is he suddenly so prominent
    ... also the repeated flashbacks in later episodes to explain things that happened in earlier episodes)

Alpha and the whisperers are not in the least scary as villains. The Saviours and Negan really were the pinnacle in the WD storyline.

Anyway... almost done. Doubt I'll stick with it in future episodes, but overall was happy with my time spent watching it the past few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Started back into it from S8 myself this year too.
    Certainly does help not having to wait for it.
    S10 episode 10 for me right now. I shall be glad i finished it cause somehow managed to avoid spoilers for all this time just incase i went back to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I gave up on season 6 and was so pi*ssed off because I loves the shows but its just got so stale ,
    As someone said each season got progressively worse looking budget wise ,

Every so often I do wonder should I go back and just finish it

Advertisement