Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Requesting a smart meter

Options
  • 14-12-2020 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Apologies of this isn't the right forum but was hoping I could get some advice on getting a smart meter.

I saw on the ESB networks page that you can request an priority upgrade to a smart meter, what I'm wondering is

Has anyone requested an upgrade?
    Did it work?
    Did you have to give a reason beyond "I want one?"
    Did you go to ESB or through your supplier?
    Did it cost extra for the priority installation?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

When I tried (last year) they could only offer a 24hr tariff at that stage. No day/night tariff so that ruled it out for me.

Don’t know if that has changed since so check that before you go ordering it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

As bonkers has just posted about more time of use tariffs coming out next year id leave it until you see what the tarrifs are and if it would be worthwhile for you. (as opposed to sticking with the day night meter)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Will we go like the UK where we get paid for consuming excess electricity supply?
    Can see folk charging batteries and getting paid for it, cheaper to pay consumers to use the electricity versus shutting a plant or element of supply train down

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

slave1 wrote: »
    Will we go like the UK where we get paid for consuming excess electricity supply?
    Can see folk charging batteries and getting paid for it, cheaper to pay consumers to use the electricity versus shutting a plant or element of supply train down

I'm not sure it'll work the same here as we have the PSO levy to insure renewable producers against negative pricing. So there isn't the same incentive to pass on negative rate to consumers

As far as I can tell, the likes of Octopus agile works on the market rate plus some fixed markup. So if the rate is positive, they make money

If the rate is negative, they still make money because they're being paid to take energy from the market and paying you less per kWh to use that energy

So if that's the model then it'll probably be one of the smaller companies that introduce it first to get ahead of the competition

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement