Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrapping Santa presents Yay or Nay

Options
  • 17-12-2020 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

We never had Santa presents wrapped when we were growing up and thus far we haven't wrapped our kids Santa presents (6 and 3) But my husband wants to wrap them this year, thinks you get more 'bang for your buck' with the unwrapping excitement and thinks we never had Santa presents wrapped due to parental stinginess :D But I think most people don't wrap Santa presents? So just interested to see who does and doesn't.

Do you wrap Santa gifts? 57 votes

Yes we wrap Santa gifts
    80% 46 votes
    No we don't bother
    19% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

We always wrap everything- not Irish so I wonder if it’s a cultural thing -, I’d never heard of this until I moved over and would never have considered leaving presents unwrapped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

So you don't wrap your Santa presents but wrap your poll results so we can't see them...

We wrap them always have, but my dad always wrapped Santa gifts for us, he even used to wrap selection boxes!

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Funny you mention this as I've never really thought about it - looking back, no my Santa presents were not wrapped under the tree when I was a kid. I'd walk into the sitting room and would immediately see them, looking the same way they did when I was oogling them in the shops!

Was quite nice and overwhelming as a child as I'd have multiple gifts and my brain would go into an absolute joy overload seeing them all at once :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are past Santa in our house but when the kids still believed we wrapped everything but Santa's gifts came in Santa themed paper and gifts to each other came in other Christmassy wrapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

So you don't wrap your Santa presents but wrap your poll results so we can't see them...

We wrap them always have, but my dad always wrapped Santa gifts for us, he even used to wrap selection boxes!
    Haha, first time creating a poll! Doesn't seem to be an option to amend that :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Depends, small ones yes, big ones, bikes etc no.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

The "children" living at home are 20 and 24 now. Santa still comes. They still get out of bed at 9am and go down to the livingroom to see what Santa has brought. Everything Santa leaves is wrapped. And we take photos as the stuff is unwrapped. At the end, the dog, who is in the middle of it anyhow, gets covered in the paper scraps and photographed.

This year there will be less unwrapping - I've been spending less time in the shops. But they will still get their selection boxes and their tubs of sweets in their stockings.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Ours were never wrapped as kids in 70s/80s. When we got to mid teens my mother would lump all the things (be small bits by then bits of clothes, books etc) into one big present to unwrap. My husband on the other hand (english!) had everything wrapped & he would wrap the choc coins if he could! So we compromise & usually I end up doing the wrapping because he goes into a wrapping frenzy & then never remembers what's for who! Have to say it is fun seeing the kids tear off the wrapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Well as a 3 year old I think it’s overwhelming seeing everything at once... i would get far more joy opening each thing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

o1s1n wrote: »
    Funny you mention this as I've never really thought about it - looking back, no my Santa presents were not wrapped under the tree when I was a kid. I'd walk into the sitting room and would immediately see them, looking the same way they did when I was oogling them in the shops!

Was quite nice and overwhelming as a child as I'd have multiple gifts and my brain would go into an absolute joy overload seeing them all at once :D

100% agree! Ours were never wrapped and we've continued that tradition for our little boy :)

Now for the pedantic side of me..."we don't bother" in the poll irks me a bit. It's not, in my opinion, not bothering...as in couldn't be bothered/too much hassle...it's a choice about how they're presented to the kid. I'm having one of my 'wobbly covid' days so don't mind my overly sensitive nonsense :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Normally not wrapped but we said we'd test it out this year and see what the experience was like while the kids are still very young.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I don’t have kids but mine were never wrapped growing up.

I did hear a brilliant thing on the radio. Funny things kids say at Christmas. One was “will Santa have the same wrapping paper as us again this year?”

Kids are so clued in.

so let that be a reminder to ye present wrappers. Get different wrapping paper haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Chaoticawk

Wrap it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We never wrapped. Neither my husband or I did got wrapped gifts. And yeah it’s that overwhelming OMG I can’t see everything at once I’m so excited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

jellybear wrote: »
    100% agree! Ours were never wrapped and we've continued that tradition for our little boy :)

Now for the pedantic side of me..."we don't bother" in the poll irks me a bit. It's not, in my opinion, not bothering...as in couldn't be bothered/too much hassle...it's a choice about how they're presented to the kid. I'm having one of my 'wobbly covid' days so don't mind my overly sensitive nonsense :D

To be fair I got that a little bit too but I’ve also been a bit wobbly

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Never wrapped for me

Never wrapped for mine

You want that overload in one go when the sitting room door opens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Never wrapped for me

Never wrapped for mine

You want that overload in one go when the sitting room door opens

Literally that’s some of my fondest childhood memories

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Never had ours wrapped and never wrapped our kids presents either. Not a case of 'bothering' to us, its carrying on a tradition. My wife said her family were the exact same growing up, no wrapping.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    Literally that’s some of my fondest childhood memories

Agree.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Never had wrapped santa presents as a child 40 odd years ago. We did wrap our kids (now adults) santa presents but I think this is frowned upon nowadays due to the environmental impact.

Wrapped or not wrapped, your kids will love them. Happy Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Never wrapped as a child and not wrapped now. All in the sitting room just as I was a child that feeling, that rush as the door opens and everyone's presents would be in there own pile

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

No kids, but when we were kids they were always wrapped. I loved the fun of seeing a huge pile of presents sitting waiting on me. And the fun just continued because everything had to be unwrapped. I'm a bit fan of wrapping, makes more of a deal of it IMHO.

Advertisement