Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession predictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It is complete garbage to continue to pump it out there that the massive increase in Irish Government Debt is solely due to the Bank bailouts.

The net cost of the Banking bailout is circa €42 billion.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/was-it-worth-paying-41-7bn-to-bail-out-irish-banks-1.4036792

Irish Government debt sat at €50bn in 2008. It is €219 billion today, an increase of almost €170bn.

https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/government-debt

https://commodity.com/data/ireland/debt-clock/

€170bn - €42bn = €128bn of deficit spending in 13 years, not related to the bank bailout, but laughably called 'austerity'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    So private companies are never bailed out, they are simply allowed to fail, yea?

Am I the one over simplyfy or is it you? There's nothing simplify in regards economics, but the mainstream profession would try to have you believe it can be simplified, with its supplies and demands, equilibriums, efficiencies, and blah blah blah.

Be some craic if we didn't have a functioning public sector, wouldn't it, particularly right now!

We may have a public sector that is just about functioning but it is far from efficient and one could argue that the resources could be used more effectively to deliver better results. That is not to say that there are not sections of the public sector that are not efficient but there is a lot of wasted resources that could be used elsewhere. Just look at the stats on the no of admin per soldiers in the Irish army or the government paying private landlord HAP when there are better alternatives that would resolve the issues in the long term. Instead tax payers money is wasted by putting a patch on the problem rather than fixing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

We borrowed from the IMF because the breakup of the Euro and thus the likelihood of the debt not being repaid, was real, leaving the IMF as the only willing choice.

Now, a decade later and endless QE programs later, there is zero question on whether or not government bonds get repaid - short of an asteroid smashing into the country.

All countries, throughout all of history, have a long-term persistently increasing Public Debt - despite the ups and downs in debt levels during economic cycles.

Even the insane people like Larry Summers and Rogoff are now calling out the virtues of deficit spending - when they were some of the main austerians before.

It's not 2010 anymore. The Euro isn't about to implode anymore. The ECB isn't constrained in its ability to flood arseloads of money into the economy anymore. So lets stop pretending like we're back in the fucking Gold Standard from 100 years ago, where money was tied to a scarce physical resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

KyussB wrote: »

All countries, throughout all of history, have a long-term persistently increasing Public Debt - despite the ups and downs in debt levels during economic cycles.

I agree with ups and downs of debt with the economic cycles. However, our cycles now only include ups. There wasn't a "down" on our debt during our boom, just a little pause and now its going up again. up, pause, up, pause, up is not sustainable.

Whether short-term debt levels have ups and downs, or ups and pauses - it's the same thing long-term: All countries, throughout all of history, have a long-term persistently increasing Public Debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

We borrowed from the IMF because the breakup of the Euro and thus the likelihood of the debt not being repaid, was real, leaving the IMF as the only willing choice.

Oh ok, so carrying too much debt does leave us more vulnerable to external shocks, other investors will not be rushing in, debt cannot grow if others are not willing to lend and the IMF is the last resort.

Thanks for proving my point !!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

salonfire wrote:

And what point is that?

And what point is that?

Oh there you are. Any chance of you gracing us with your answer to my question?

salonfire wrote: »
    Oh there you are. Any chance of you gracing us with your answer to my question?

yes, im extremely busy at the moment, would you like me to change my priorities just for you? i ll get back to you when i get the chance

Oh ok, so carrying too much debt does leave us more vulnerable to external shocks, other investors will not be rushing in, debt cannot grow if others are not willing to lend and the IMF is the last resort.

What point exactly? You just agreed with what you quoted, that states this was due to the risk of a Euro breakup. A risk that has now passed.

You weren't expecting me to play along with quote-mining and selective interpretation of my own post, were you? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

salonfire wrote:
    You still haven't answered the question. You repeated the cause when I explicitly told you I wasn't asking about the cause.

What's the cause?
    salonfire wrote:
    .. if we should just keep adding to the debt, why did we have to resort to the IMF? If piling on to the debt mountain is not a bad thing, why were investors not rushing to buy Government Bonds?

Again, you're posing the correct question, why was the imf called in, and austerity imposed, when the roots of the problem were clearly based in private sector financial institutions, and how the hell was imposing these measures in the public sector gonna truly resolve these primarily private sector based issues? I'd imagine investors weren't rushing in due to the lack of confidence, we really have to get over this rising deficit myth, 08 once again showed us, private debt is the far more dangerous of the two, and what is our government currently trying to do, once again, but encouraging the borrowing of private debt, ffs!

Public and private debt are both critical components of the money supply, but we currently have an over reliance on private debt to do the heavy lifting, when it's clearly obvious, that it is extremely dangerous to do so, but we 're not accepting these dangers! This is one of the main reasons why I advocate for public banking systems, it gives us the ability to partially self finance our critical needs, and some sort of democratic control over our money supply.
    €170bn - €42bn = €128bn of deficit spending in 13 years, not related to the bank bailout, but laughably called 'austerity'.

...as above! Even some folk in the imf realise now how wrong imposing austerity was, we should have done the complete opposite, and not only that, we signalled to the global financial system, carry on folks, you're doing a great job! What could possibly go wrong!
    We may have a public sector that is just about functioning but it is far from efficient and one could argue that the resources could be used more effectively to deliver better results. That is not to say that there are not sections of the public sector that are not efficient but there is a lot of wasted resources that could be used elsewhere. Just look at the stats on the no of admin per soldiers in the Irish army or the government paying private landlord HAP when there are better alternatives that would resolve the issues in the long term. Instead tax payers money is wasted by putting a patch on the problem rather than fixing it.

Yes of course there are inefficiencies in the public sector , and unfortunately there probably will always be, due to its complexities, but we must also accept the shortcomings of the private sector to, and it's inefficiencies. It's not a competition between the two, both are in fact needed, in order to have some sort of functioning society, but it's also important to realise both sectors shortcomings. The relation between both is in fact symbiotic, both are in fact equally needed, but this is currently a highly dysfunctional relation, the public sector is currently used as a back stop, for when the private sector fails, or when the private sector is simply unable to provide what's needed. This dysfunction is leading us towards continual patch work fixes, which ultimately does indeed cost us more in the long run, and not just financially either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Fun fact.

Our chief justice of the supreme court gets paid 20k a year more than the chief justice of the supreme court of the United states of America. The world's wealthiest country.

Leo gets 60k a year more than UK PM Boris Johnson
    Our TDs get 7k a year (basic) more than UK ministers.

The white house chief of staff earns 168k euro a year where as MM and LV chiefs of staff earn 171k per year

Compare the size of the economies of the US and UK vs Ireland

The size of the us economy as gdp : 20.54 trillion
    UK: 2.8 trillion
    Ireland: 382 billion

Any recession is only for the poor

Fun fact.

Our chief justice of the supreme court gets paid 20k a year more than the chief justice of the court of the United states of America. The world's wealthiest country.

Leo gets 60k a year more than UK PM Boris Johnson
    Our TDs get 7k a year (basic) more than UK ministers.

Compare the size of the economies of the US and UK vs Ireland

Any recession is only for the poor

ah shur both the uk and the us have become train wrecks, largely due to rising inequalities, and the disturbing part is, we re following them down the same road in terms of economic and political ideologies

ah shur both the uk and the us have become train wrecks, largely due to rising inequalities, and the disturbing part is, we re following them down the same road in terms of economic and political ideologies

Starts at the top. Those payments for top level officials is beyond ridiculous when compared to the like of the US and UK.

Starts at the top. Those payments for top level officials is beyond ridiculous when compared to the like of the US and UK.

oh god, this crap, its a hell of a lot more complex than just pay rates at the top, theres astonishing levels of complexities involved in our economic and social issues

oh god, this crap, its a hell of a lot more complex than just pay rates at the top, theres astonishing levels of complexities involved in our economic and social issues

What "crap"?

If you can justify the comparisons I made above I'd be interested to hear it.

Your posting style leaves a lot to be desired so if you cannot reply politely then dont bother

What "crap"?

If you can justify the comparisons I made above I'd be interested to hear it.

Your posting style leaves a lot to be desired so if you cannot reply politely then dont bother

great!

you re overly simplifying something that is in fact highly complex, we ve all gone down the road of whats called neoliberal/free market ideologies, its failing, and we ve decided the best thing to do is ignore it, and carry on.....

great!

you re overly simplifying something that is in fact highly complex, we ve all gone down the road of whats called neoliberal/free market ideologies, its failing, and we ve decided the best thing to do is ignore it, and carry on.....

I'm comparing pay levels between our neighbors and the United states with our lot.

That's all .

But to take up your point. What would be the alternative to neoliberal/free market ideologies?

I'm raising comparing pay levels between our neighbors and the United states with our lot.

That's all .

But to take up your point. What would be the alternative to neoliberal/free market ideologies?

its fair enough comparing pay levels, but the reality is, its a hell of a lot more complex than just that, to the point, its probably irrelevant, i also think we may also never truly fully understand these complexities

we probably dont know what is better than our current form of capitalism, but the reality is, we still havent truly accepted, its a major failure. i personally like the use of the term 'progressive capitalism', but we dont even truly know what that means either, but first things first, actually accepting, we ve gone down the wrong road in regards capitalism

its fair enough comparing pay levels, but the reality is, its a hell of a lot more complex than just that, to the point, its probably irrelevant, i also think we may also never truly fully understand these complexities

we probably dont know what is better than our current form of capitalism, but the reality is, we still havent truly accepted, its a major failure. i personally like the use of the term 'progressive capitalism', but we dont even truly know what that means either, but first things first, actually accepting, we ve gone down the wrong road in regards capitalism

I hope you don't mind me saying so but that is a politicians answer if I heard one!
    Lots of words but no question answered or real alternative offered

• Advertisement

I hope you don't mind me saying so but that is a politicians answer if I heard one!
    Lots of words but no question answered or real alternative offered

so what would you like me to say? what dont you understand with what i said?

so what would you like me to say? what dont you understand with what i said?

I want to to offer a viable clear alternative.

I understand what you wrote but it didn't mean anything.

I want to to offer a viable clear alternative.

I understand what you wrote but it didn't mean anything.

it probably doesnt exist, we have to simply create it, just like we created all the other forms of capitalism, including our current most predominate one, free market etc

does it make sense now?

it probably doesnt exist, we have to simply create it, just like we created all the other forms of capitalism, including our current most predominate one, free market etc

does it make sense now?

So if it doesn't exist and we need to create it. What is that we need to create?

Your answer is coming across as the system is broken and needs to be fixed but we don't know what the solution is. Maybe you do know what the solution is and you are telling us but it is not clear from your post so could you please elaborate and spell out what changes are required.

Generally the capitalist policies that came before NeoLiberalism (the Post-WWII 'golden age of capitalism' era in the US/UK/Europe), are much closer to the ideal that people are calling for today.

That's not the same as turning back time and the last 50 years of economic development with it, though.

That's what Corbyn/Sanders and similar progressives represent - a modernized version of the Post-WWII style 'golden age' Keynesianism - with modern Post-Keynesian advances in our understanding of how monetary/fiscal policy work, which aught to be coupled with a Job Guarantee and climate-change-fighting jobs program - among a lot more.

Generally the capitalist policies that came before NeoLiberalism (the Post-WWII 'golden age of capitalism' era in the US/UK/Europe), are much closer to the ideal that people are calling for today.

That's not the same as turning back time and the last 50 years of economic development with it, though.

That's what Corbyn/Sanders and similar progressives represent - a modernized version of the Post-WWII style 'golden age' Keynesianism - with modern Post-Keynesian advances in our understanding of how monetary/fiscal policy work, which aught to be coupled with a Job Guarantee and climate-change-fighting jobs program - among a lot more.

So its not quite communism (as that has been proven not to work) but a progressive version of communism with progressive tax changes and wealth redistribution and at the same time saving the environment.

What's the cause?

Again, you're posing the correct question, why was the imf called in, and austerity imposed, when the roots of the problem were clearly based in private sector financial institutions, and how the hell was imposing these measures in the public sector gonna truly resolve these primarily private sector based issues? I'd imagine investors weren't rushing in due to the lack of confidence, we really have to get over this rising deficit myth, 08 once again showed us, private debt is the far more dangerous of the two, and what is our government currently trying to do, once again, but encouraging the borrowing of private debt, ffs!

And STILL you haven't answered my question. You repeated my question. And again you repeated the CAUSE.

If economic shocks can be overcome by borrowing - and growing the public debt is harmless - why did we have to resort to the IMF and give away or sovereignty to be able to borrow? How do you suggest borrowing should continue if nobody would lend to us like in 2010?

I want a firm and concise answer from you, not waffle. This is the Economics forum not some leftist Blogging site

If you want to have a debate about the definition of the word Communism, then have it with someone else. I don't think anyone who isn't shit stirring would define Joseph McCarthy era US, and the war against Communism from the Post-WWII US/UK/European West - as itself being Communist.

If you want to have a debate about the definition of the word Communism, then have it with someone else. I don't think anyone who isn't shit stirring would define Joseph McCarthy era US, and the war against Communism from the Post-WWII US/UK/European West - as itself being Communist.

The use of Job Guarantee and Corbyn/Sanders automatically makes me think communism. Just to be clear I'm not looking for a debate on communism just looking for clear answers instead of waffle.

• Advertisement

And STILL you haven't answered my question. You repeated my question. And again you repeated the CAUSE.

If economic shocks can be overcome by borrowing - and growing the public debt is harmless - why did we have to resort to the IMF and give away or sovereignty to be able to borrow? How do you suggest borrowing should continue if nobody would lend to us like in 2010?

I want a firm and concise answer from you, not waffle. This is the Economics forum not some leftist Blogging site

again, whats the cause? what are you actually talking about?

thats fair enough i guess, once again, the financial issues of the previous crash were largely based in private sector financial institutions, i.e. private sector banks. once again, you are in fact posing the correct questions, why were the imf introduced into the whole mess, how come large proportions of the debts, which were ultimately private sector debts, end up in the public domain? and how was austerity, imposed in the public sector, gonna resolve these, primarily private sector issues? what the hell!

ive no idea how to be anymore concise than that

Advertisement