Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gig of the year 2020

• 10-12-2020 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

No this is not a joke, we had 2 and a half months of gigs before the first lockdown and also socially distanced gigs since.
    The best gig for me was Rock against homelessness in the Olympia with The Fontains dc,The Murder Capital, Melts, Kneecap, Just Mustard, The Altered Hours, Stefan Murphy, and The Mary Wallopers a great night of music. The stand out act for me was Kneecap, I wouldn't listen to their music at home in a million years but they owned the stage that night.
    Girl band in Cyprus Avenue cork was a close second.

Please dont list gigs that you had tickets for but the gig got cancelled.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The Aristocrats in the Button Factory.

As its the only gig i got to :(

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I only had one this year - that was Blossoms in Cyprus avenue. Supported by the Lathums, great pairing. Enjoyable night.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Had 4 gigs in total this year after the postponement of so many but is what it is

1- you never walk alone (Comedy Night in aid of Sean Cox)- 3Arena 10th Jan 2020- Great night of comedy with Michael McIntyre been the best on the night followed by Tommy Tiernen and Des Bishop

2- Slipknot- 3Arena 14th Jan- Was a little disappointed in it but the setlist was good. Wasant as good as there 2015 show

3- Tenacious Dn 3Arena 10th Feb- A decent show enjoyed the older stuff. JB can be irritating at times

4- Paddy Casey- Theatre Royal Waterford 19th Sep- Nice nostalgic hit for this social distant gig. Event set up well and enjoyable few hours

Let's hope we get back on track for 2021. Miss the gigs and the trips to the capital

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Tommy Emmanuel and Steel Panther, very different types of gigs, both very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭fillup

spindex wrote: »
    No this is not a joke, we had 2 and a half months of gigs before the first lockdown and also socially distanced gigs since.
    The best gig for me was Rock against homelessness in the Olympia with The Fontains dc,The Murder Capital, Melts, Kneecap, Just Mustard, The Altered Hours, Stefan Murphy, and The Mary Wallopers a great night of music. The stand out act for me was Kneecap, I wouldn't listen to their music at home in a million years but they owned the stage that night.

Was at that show too and it was fairly immense alright.
    TMC were in flying form too but yes Kneecap ripped the ar$e out of it.
    I was chatting to lady after their set and asked her what she thought them - she said she liked them until they started all the racist stuff.
    My Irish wouldn't be up to scratch so thinking I'd missed something in the lyrics I asked her to elaborate on what she found racist about them. She said it was when they started the Brits Out chanting.
    C'mon I replied- that's not racist its xenophobic if anything. And besides we were the subjugated people so it's allowed.

But yeah the night was a great showcase of live Irish bands. Kinda fitting soundtrack for the last hurrah before the impending apocalypse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

GLaDOS wrote: »
    The Aristocrats in the Button Factory.

As its the only gig i got to :(

Ditto ...... but what a gig :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭desk tidy

Beak at the Button Factory, great gig.

Edit: Only gig! Was still great though. Feels like it was years ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Echo yhe Rock against Homelessness sentiments. Murder Capital at Vicar Street the previous week was the one for me, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Slipknot was my only one. Really enjoyable only let down by the inexplicable lack of Spit it Out on the setlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I only made it to slipknot this year, menzingers got stranded in the uk and then the apocalypse happened.

So slipknot the winner by the two sweetest words in the English language - default

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Honourable mentions for Supergrass and David Keenan, both in the Olympia. Two great shows also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Fleshgod apocalypse in the voddoo for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭s8n

Degag wrote: »
    Slipknot was my only one. Really enjoyable only let down by the inexplicable lack of Spit it Out on the setlist.

they just weren't playing it on this tour, not that hard to believe tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Christymoore Vicar St...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Lankum in Vicar St. was next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭dasdog

Lankum in Vicar St. was next level.

I had a ticket but was in absolute rag order that day and to my shame didn't go.

Polyphia in The Grand Social were very good - extremely technical music but they keep it melodic. James Taylor Quartet a week later in the same venue was good too - I hadn't seen them in over twenty years.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Whilst the Slipknot & Behemoth gig was damned good, The Bay Strikes Back Tour (Testament, Exodus, Death Angel) would edge it out as the winner for me. Lucky it even went ahead, country got shut down very soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭rainagain

spindex wrote: »

Rock against homelessness was the standout gig of the year. Kneecap were the business, so enjoyed their set.

The Murder Capital and Lankum in Vicar St were also brilliant nights, and The HU in the Academy didn't disappoint either. I was in the Grand Social at the weekend buying merch, odd feeling being in there in the middle of the day and really hit home how much I miss live music (can't imagine how the artists feel).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Two excellent gigs for me - And So I Watch You From Afar in the Glassworks in Derry (playing the first album from start to finish) and Supergrass in the Ulster Hall in Belfast.

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

(Sandy) Alex G in the Button Factory back in February was the only one I was at this year so it'll have to be that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭AhrSkidar

Only one gig this year, but I'd imagine it would have been high on the list in any event: Richard Dawson in Whelan's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Beth Hart in Vicar St

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭RamonD3

Just the 2 gigs this year, at least quality over quantity though. Supergrass in the Olympia, and The Strokes in Belfast, amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

dok_golf wrote: »
    Beth Hart in Vicar St

The Best There Is, the Best There Was, the Best There Ever Will Be

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Editors in vicar street wins by default but it was also quite enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭RINO87

Lee Fields and the Expressions was my only show this year, was good fun!!

New babba in February just gone, so always expected this year to be quiet gig wise, just not this quiet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Was only at the Rock against homelessness in the Olynmpis. Highlight was Murder Capital's crowd interaction during Feeling Fades. It might be cheesy, but I loved i.e. the down on the knees and jumping up. Sometimes gotta let the big child in you come out.

I was at the comedy gig in 3Arena - Michael McIntyre, Des Bishop, Tommy Tiernan and few more. It was really enjoyable. I'd never been at a proper comedy stand-up routine before. More funnier being there in person than watchin on TV.
    McIntyre was so much better than I expected. He has it nailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Granite Head

5 Gigs this year - all good though, and in hindsight precious. In order;

1) Rock against homelessness in the Olympia. Obvious highlights were Fdc & TMC but Mary Wallopers were v. good too

2) Supergrass in the Olympia - nostalgia

3) Support for Sean (Cox) benefit gig in the 3Arena - Michael McIntyre the surprise highlight

4) Mabel in the Olympia - brought my daughter and got bumped up from standing to a box which was a real treat + easy access to the bar :D

5) Editors in Vicar St. - enjoyed their Standards but not overly familiar with their back catalogue, actually had forgotten about this gig until I saw it listed earlier

I have 5 gigs rescheduled to 2021, one to 2022 and 3 cancelled altogether

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Sprints, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine, Therapy, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Amble

Advertisement