Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carraig An Aird Building Works

Options
  • 09-12-2020 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I see Carraig An Aird are starting building works on land that they never finished building on to front. Does anyone know if its houses, council houses?? lots of houses being built out in that direction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rekdtangle

Hi All

I see Carraig An Aird are starting building works on land that they never finished building on to front. Does anyone know if its houses, council houses?? lots of houses being built out in that direction.

Just having a look at it there. 74 new houses mix of 4/3/2 bed. Would have a max of 8 social houses under part V. Cosmo developments seem to be the developer here whose shareholders are Bradain property investments. Just a small bit of digging on them and it turns out that the company is owned by Michael Sammon, a gangster.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

rekdtangle wrote: »
    Just having a look at it there. 74 new houses mix of 4/3/2 bed. Would have a max of 8 social houses under part V. Cosmo developments seem to be the developer here whose shareholders are Bradain property investments. Just a small bit of digging on them and it turns out that the company is owned by Michael Sammon, a gangster.

a developer, a gangster, come on now, things have changed significantly since the last time, havent they!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Deiseen

rekdtangle wrote: »

That explains why the houses are absolutely hideous.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I actually like them because they area little bit out of the ordinary run of the mill two storey semi detached sausages that were laid by McInerney and others all across the city. The high front gable makes a three storey lay put possible. If you really want hideous you can look at some of the row houses now being built elsewhere in the city with concrete drive, concrete footpaths concrete walls all finished off with cement render everywhere. Its almost as if greenery in any form is a sin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Deiseen

azimuth17 wrote: »
    I actually like them because they area little bit out of the ordinary run of the mill two storey semi detached sausages that were laid by McInerney and others all across the city. The high front gable makes a three storey lay put possible. If you really want hideous you can look at some of the row houses now being built elsewhere in the city with concrete drive, concrete footpaths concrete walls all finished off with cement render everywhere. Its almost as if greenery in any form is a sin.

They'd probably be alright with a bit of colour, and I know they are nice on the inside, but they are so grey and bland on the outside that its hard to like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Deiseen wrote: »
    They'd probably be alright with a bit of colour, and I know they are nice on the inside, but they are so grey and bland on the outside that its hard to like them.

That's probably true. Will be interesting in the long run to see if anyone has the bottle to paint their house a different colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Deiseen wrote: »
    That explains why the houses are absolutely hideous.

Personally think these houses are decent but their is a real lack of any decent size front or back garden. Also alot of married couples in this estate are a bit fond of the throwing the keys in the bowl sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Personally think these houses are decent but their is a real lack of any decent size front or back garden. Also alot of married couples in this estate are a bit fond of the throwing the keys in the bowl sessions.

:D:D

Cannot beat a bit of random internet message board innuendo tbf.

I'm also sad if true as I was never at one of these parties when I lived there :(

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

That's a trend in most if not all new developments. I'm not sure what's driving it. Perhaps the relatively high cost of building land, though there are statistics suggesting that the cost of land isn't such a big factor in the overall cost of a house. Perhaps councils are pushing higher densities? Or is it that people aren't bothered about gardens?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Carraig an Ard, Fox wood etc, houses can look nice with fancy packaging. But essentially it's €240k+ for an address that is essentially Ballybeg and the joy of a halting site on the doorstep too with all the fun that entails. Hardly an argument for good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Carraig an Ard, Fox wood etc, houses can look nice with fancy packaging. But essentially it's €240k+ for an address that is essentially Ballybeg and the joy of a halting site on the doorstep too with all the fun that entails. Hardly an argument for good value.

In fairness the latest part of the foxwood development is quite nice with plenty of green area, but I get what you are saying about the area. Alot will depend on the quality of the houses built on thd land behind these estates. The last thing Waterford needs is another carrickpherish.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

That's a trend in most if not all new developments. I'm not sure what's driving it. Perhaps the relatively high cost of building land, though there are statistics suggesting that the cost of land isn't such a big factor in the overall cost of a house. Perhaps councils are pushing higher densities? Or is it that people aren't bothered about gardens?

Tis hardly about maximising profits, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Tis hardly about maximising profits, is it?
    ;) Fair enough, it could be that, too. I do think there's more to it than just builders wanting to jam more houses into smaller and smaller spaces though. After all, councils could insist that builders put in slightly larger gardens. Or some enterprising builder could put slightly bigger gardens in the estate he's building and use this to up prices a little. There's more than one way to maximise profits. When it comes down to it, is it just that people aren't that bothered about having a bigger garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rekdtangle

Garden size's would be dictated by the house size. House floor area to plot size should be 1:1 Also each house must have 2 parking spots within the curtilage. Sometimes you can get away with communal parking.

When you add in 15% of site for green space it's easy to see why gardens are small in new estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭spaceCreated

Anyone know what kind of houses are going in there, just says something like register your interest outside but no actual info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

azimuth17 wrote: »

The shape is fine but I dont like very horizontal windows. It is modernist and requires a lot of skill to pull off. Classical purpotions are better.

Does anyone know what ventilation system they use? It looks like a hole in the wall on the website but I thought it would be more advanced than that by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭anplaya27

Was gonna buy there but in reality they are tiny inside. The kitchens especially so. Back gardens are small too. Definitely overpriced.

Think if you want space you prob have to look outside the newer housing estates. Older houses built in the 1990s even have twice the space it seems.

Advertisement