Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The below looks like total Sunday watching trash - riffing on that famous episode from the classic Twilight Zone "Terror At 20,000 ft" - and I wasn't going to even share the trailer here ... ... until I saw its last moment.

It is, in my humble opinion, the stupidest (CGI based) stunt I've seen from an action film in years. I don't even know where to start parsing its physics defiance...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pixelburp wrote: »
    The below looks like total Sunday watching trash - riffing on that famous episode from the classic Twilight Zone "Terror At 20,000 ft" - and I wasn't going to even share the trailer here ... ... until I saw its last moment.

It is, in my humble opinion, the stupidest (CGI based) stunt I've seen from an action film in years. I don't even know where to start parsing its physics defiance...

I swear this got some really really good reviews from some of the festivals earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm pretty sure it does rip off an episode of the Twilight Zone, I heard one podcast tear it to shreds so I know what happens. Sounds completely daft and awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

fukin hell...

That was the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Excellent, diverse range of films covered in this year’s Sight & Sound top 50

https://twitter.com/sightsoundmag/status/1337312531157831681?s=21

Given the circumstances, it’s been a wonderful year for film - especially for female filmmakers, who’ve put out a bunch of the very best films of recent times. Hasn’t always been easy to see these films on the big screen - understandably - but cinema has been alive and well nonetheless. Adored Lovers Rock and First Cow, and looking forward to finally seeing Time over the weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A certain tabloid outlet has audio of Tom Cruise going off on one owing to crew members not following Covid protocols. It's doing the rounds on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I heard it this morning, I don't see much wrong with it, his points are valid really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I've heard some people get on their high horse and say we shouldn't be cheering an employer yelling at his employees but lives could literally be at stake.

The only thing I do feel bad about is giving said paper a click and also sharing the link with some friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fair play to Cruise at least he isn't trying to Scientology cure Covid and is actually following actual real scientific guidelines.

If there was a Covid outbreak on the set the same newspaper would run with Tom Cruise runs a lack and dangerous set putting the lives of the crew at risk of catching Covid.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Fair play to Cruise at least he isn't trying to Scientology cure Covid and is actually following actual real scientific guidelines.

If there was a Covid outbreak on the set the same newspaper would run with Tom Cruise runs a lack and dangerous set putting the lives of the crew at risk of catching Covid.

Exactly. So many people involved behind the scenes in the film industry have been unemployed all year because of Covid. Any production that has managed to get up and running again safely is lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I listened to it, and yeah. It sounds a total áss-chewing that in any other circumstance would be problematic ... ... but if it's about CoVid then it's fair game. His entire rant centred around how the MI shoot is being used as a bellwether and that jobs are on the line; that Hollywood's looking at this shoot to see if it can be done safely.

Presumably, the clickbait outlets were thinking of the infamous Christian Bale explosion from years ago for some "Hollywood star blows up" glee - but the context here is completely different. I'd side with Cruise here, even if I don't necessarily like ranting anger as a method of dressing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Such a shame Cruise is not as fast to vent his 'anger' in public towards the pedophiles that infest Hollywood, some of them his close friends.!!
    Just a publicity stunt to further massage his enormous ego, which is legendry
    in Hollywood.
    A total spoofer.

washman3 wrote: »
    Such a shame Cruise is not as fast to vent his 'anger' in public towards the pedophiles that infest Hollywood, some of them his close friends.!!
    Just a publicity stunt to further massage his enormous ego, which is legendry
    in Hollywood.
    A total spoofer.

I know a newspaper you should sell that story too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I know a newspaper you should sell that story too.

Apologies if the truth hurts...;)

washman3 wrote: »
    Apologies if the truth hurts...;)

Why would it hurt me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

You know the end of the year is approaching when the big studios rush to get their Oscar bait movies out in time for consideration;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    You know the end of the year is approaching when the big studios rush to get their Oscar bait movies out in time for consideration;

Looks like a dead cert (full disclosure- didn't bother looking at it).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Doesn't seem to have much about a helicopter in it. Worst game adaptation ever!

If films and TV have taught me anything, it's that, according to the new Google doodle, we can expect a great evil to be brought unto this planet tonight/tomorrow night, unless they're stopped

Media reports today that MGM up for sale for $5B

Bond and Rocky I guess would be the main draws however it also has UA, Orion Pictures, The Cannon Group, The Samuel Goldwyn Company and a number of other film libraries.

So which Streaming company will buy it to bulk up there content.

• Advertisement

Media reports today that MGM up for sale for $5B

Bond and Rocky I guess would be the main draws however it also has UA, Orion Pictures, The Cannon Group, The Samuel Goldwyn Company and a number of other film libraries.

So which Streaming company will buy it to bulk up there content.

Given their love of throwing cash around Netflix would be my pick, but 5 billion seems like a lot even for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Given their love of throwing cash around Netflix would be my pick, but 5 billion seems like a lot even for them.
    Disney were being talked up on one snippet I heard on the radio. I wonder what they have to do to get monopoly proceedings taken against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

My outside pick is AT&T to buy it for their HBO Max service. I believe Netflix were previously in talks to buy MGM pre-pandemic

I see Flash Gordon is the next film to get a warning at the beginning
    https://comicbook.com/movies/news/flash-gordon-offensive-content-warning-ming-merciless-re-release/
    Ming was an obvious reference to East Asian cultures, although the character was actually played by Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Game of Thrones actor Max Von Sydow - a Swedish man. In light of changing times and attitudes toward the representation of race onscreen, the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) has now added a warning about "discriminatory stereotypes" to a recent re-release of Flash Gordon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I see Flash Gordon is the next film to get a warning at the beginning
    https://comicbook.com/movies/news/flash-gordon-offensive-content-warning-ming-merciless-re-release/

source.gif

Wait until they get to the Short Circuit films.

Was years later I found out the actor playing Ben (Fisher Stevens) wasn't actually Indian.

Seems fair enough really; a non-destructive solution to a hot potato issue so better than cutting up movies. Quick little placard and off we go...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Seems fair enough really; a non-destructive solution to a hot potato issue so better than cutting up movies. Quick little placard and off we go...

Sure, it cuts the whiners off at the pass.

Still utterly lamentable that this is the point we've reached though.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Sure, it cuts the whiners off at the pass.

Still utterly lamentable that this is the point we've reached though.

Thing is. I looked up an old song today from my teenage years. 1996, that's 24 years, a quarter century. Flash Gordon is 40 years old. We may huff and puf about these being needed, but there are generations hitting pop culture consumption where these films aren't sacred cows. Just another old movie with questionable creative decisions (and Ming was very much born from Yellow Peril mania) that would take them by surprise. I kinda get it; first time I saw black & white minstrels I was very much WTF, and that was preinternet

• Advertisement

Voice actor Tom Kane suffered a stroke and is no longer able to speak :(

Advertisement