Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB charge points - am I doing something wrong?

Options
  • 10-12-2020 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I have an ESB charge card and followed the instructions on the video here exactly to charge, including doing everything in the order shown (tap card first, then choose socket A, then plug into my car) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liMu_I2_iJw

However the charge point screen is stuck at 'choose A or B' (neither works) and my car doesn't start charging.

This happened on 2 different charge points which look exactly the same as the one shown in the video - i.e. they have a screen that asks you to tap your card and then 'Choose A or B'.

I have been able to successfully charge with the same charge card on ESB charge points that look different - e.g. ones that have no screen and the new fast-charge type like they have in Portlaoise.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just a buggy charge point issue? I'm guessing the latter but it's just weird that it happened on 2 different charge points. I note from the ESB website today that one of the sites I couldn't charge at does have a car charging there right now...so either they fixed it or maybe that user uses the app or something and cards don't work? So I guess my second question is - are these charge cards buggy?

The charge point did beep when I touched my card to it and the screen changed from asking to tap card to 'choose A or B or tap card again to cancel' so it does seem to be registering that I tapped the card at least. It just doesn't start charging.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

When you say "choose A or B" you are plugging in at that point, yeah? Both ends plugged in?

Also, you don't have your car scheduled to charge at certain times (night)? This would block the car from starting charge.

Do you have credit on your account?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I have often visited two to three charge points broken in a row, could easily be the charge points

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Caspero wrote: »
    I have an ESB charge.......so it does seem to be registering that I tapped the card at least. It just doesn't start charging.

AC charging is paid for now. I assume you've a working monthly account or credit loaded, if not?

A poster here recently had that issue, although you say you can fast charge OK, so a call to ECars customer care would be in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

Have you downloaded the ESB app and tried that?

Also you need to push the plug into the charger very far and its not easy. Often people don't push it fully in.

Do you have a charge timer set up in the car for night rate? This needs to be turned off

Even if your account is set up on website, with a credit card linked, you need to ensure your ESB card is linked to the account and that the credit card is not expired.

Ring ESB scars support line 012583799 (ROI) and they can check. Better still do it at a charger and they might be able to help better.

Sometimes chargers are broken, and the screens and menus are confusing. Do it when you don't need a charge so you are not under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

Have you tried using the app to start? I never use my card at all now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ei9go

Are you "show card" more than once. It could look confusing the constant message to "show card"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

Have you tried using the app to start? I never use my card at all now

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Some good stuff there.

I haven't tried the app - will have to test that next time I'm in town. I don't think it was the other issues because
    • Yes I plugged in after the screen asked to choose A or B, and then plugged into my car. Usually when charging a light flashes green on my car and I get a notification on the dash but nothing happened.
    • The car isn't scheduled to only charge at anight
    • I've got my credit card set up on the esbecars.com website and my account is pay as you go with automatic topup by EUR 20 when the account balance falls below EUR 5. I did charge successfully a few days prior. After that I see from my online account that it recharged by EUR 20, so I had a balance of 21.55 when I tried and failed to charge per the original message in this thread. Also now I look at my charge history on esbecars.com now, it shows an item for the day that it failed to charge so it knows I was there. However it shows 0kw charged and there isn't a payment.
    • Regarding pushing the plug into the charger more...I will try again with more force but I'm pretty sure it was in all the way. I have been able to charge at other untethered charge points so I have a fair idea of what it should look like once properly plugged in. Worth trying though so I'll test that, thanks
    • Regarding showing the card more than once - yes that would stop the charge as I discovered on a previous day - i.e. the first time you tap it starts charging and if you tap again it cancels. However I was careful in this case to only tap once and at the point where it failed to begin charging, the screen had changed from 'please tap then choose A or B' to just 'choose A or B'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Caspero wrote: »
    Regarding pushing the plug into the charger more...I will try again with more force but I'm pretty sure it was in all the way. I have been able to charge at other untethered charge points so I have a fair idea of what it should look like once properly plugged in. Worth trying though so I'll test that,

I bet it’s this. I had my Ioniq about a year before using one of these chargers and had plenty of experience charging on the road, even over in England. However the first time I used one of the new AC units, I couldn’t get it to work, and this was all it was. I think there’s a bit of a lip in the socket, and you need to give the plug a good shove. When it goes right in, it’s a bit of a surprise how deep it goes (fnar fnar).

Advertisement