Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Game Awards (10/12/2020)

• 09-12-2020 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭

Official site

Categories/nominees

How to watch

Geoff is back, despite 2020's best efforts. Eddie Vedder will perform. Christopher Nolan will present an award (hopefully for Best Audio Design, ha) on a streaming platform he doesn't hate. Other presenters/guests include Tom Holland, Brie Larson, and Gal Gadot. Your favourite games of the year will likely miss out because it's all a stupid popularity contest. And the whole thing will take up the best part of three hours.

So yeah, I won't be watching! :pac: But I will be hoping for some nice game announcements, surprises, trailers etc. Keighley said in a reddit AMA that 12-15 previously unannounced games will be revealed at the show. He also said that none of the reveals had been leaked to the best of his knowledge, potentially ruling out the Silent Hill game and The Wolf Among Us sequel rumours. Booo. But who knows? We may even get that long overdue Elden Ring trailer. Hahaha, yeah.

It starts at 23:30 our time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well I got an email from Fatshark (Vermintide devs) saying the first gameplay of their upcoming Darktide game will be shown at the Game Awards, so thats somewhat piqued my interest.

Not in a "staying up till all hours trudging through Best Streamer categories" way, but something nice to watch Friday morning.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Geoff is back, despite 2020's best efforts. Eddie Vedder will perform. Christopher Nolan will present an award (hopefully for Best Audio Design, ha) on a streaming platform he doesn't hate. Other presenters/guests include Tom Holland, Brie Larson, and Gal Gadot. Your favourite games of the year will likely miss out because it's all a stupid popularity contest. And the whole thing will take up the best part of three hours.

I can see it now, Nolan arrives on stage, forgets to take his mask off:

"Mrphm mrphm mrphm mrphm mrphm, mrphm!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yeah yeah Keighley, you've got a-list celebrities, whatever. Now show Elden Ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Along with Darktide is gameplay from Elite Dangerous Odyssey

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Let's be honest we only watch it for the new games getting revealed :p

Wonder if Kojima will have something to show off as Death Stranding was revealed back in December 2016. Only a year and a bit after MGSV was released.
    Sure, it should be noted that Kojima left Konami a couple of months before MGSV release so maybe DS was in development for a year and a half at the point of revealing.
    All in all while death stranding has been out in shops for 13 months now. Bit quick to show something else. But Kojima loves to show off his games years before you can buy them!

Not to mention he was attached to the new rumored Silent Hills game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Zelda!
    Metroid!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mass effect trilogy remaster, MGS remake and days gone 2 are the ones I'm hoping to see most.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Mass effect trilogy remaster, MGS remake and days gone 2 are the ones I'm hoping to see most.

Did I read somewhere that the head of the DG studio has left, but more or less confirmed DG2 existed by saying the game was in good hands? I may have imagined the whole thing!

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Did I read somewhere that the head of the DG studio has left, but more or less confirmed DG2 existed by saying the game was in good hands? I may have imagined the whole thing!

The 2 top guys left which is a bit worrying but when asked about the sequel, one said "stay tuned". I'm sure it's being made but would love confirmation or any news on it.

• Advertisement

The 2 top guys left which is a bit worrying but when asked about the sequel, one said "stay tuned". I'm sure it's being made but would love confirmation or any news on it.

The original is on my play list for the Christmas break. I know you were a big fan of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

days gone 2
    That will be Retr0gamers game of the year ;)

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    That will be Retr0gamers game of the year ;)

And Ace Combat 7 will be mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Would love to think that we might get a Switch hardware revision reveal. I think the console has been pushed as far as it can go with Doom Eternal and it's starting to really look it's age.

We're roughly at the life cycle where the New 3DS XL and the DSI were launched and this with the current Xbox Series X and PS5 shortages, this has got to be the last Christmas season where the Switch will enjoy a pretty much free run of the market.

Nintendo have a history of big enough reveals at the Game Awards, so you never know*.

*Except we do. New Smash character and Donkey Kong Musou

Apparently Xbox fans shouldn't get too excited;

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/1336709324215734273?s=20

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Well I got an email from Fatshark (Vermintide devs) saying the first gameplay of their upcoming Darktide game will be shown at the Game Awards, so thats somewhat piqued my interest.

Not in a "staying up till all hours trudging through Best Streamer categories" way, but something nice to watch Friday morning.

Looking like the press for this is ramping up alright. The next issue of PC Gamer has an interview with Fatshark about "why Darktide is more than just Vermintide with guns".

Regarding TGA show itself, there's speculation (from that Dusk Golem guy) that we could see a new RE8 trailer and/or release date announcement as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nintendo have a history of big enough reveals at the Game Awards, so you never know*.

*Except we do. New Smash character and Donkey Kong Musou

Called it

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1337034342913216514

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,794 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm going to do what I do for every games industry's self congratulatory **** Game awards ceremony and get up the morning after and look at the announcements that interest me.

Ah, I remember a time where companies would wait until the actual show to reveal their games :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,794 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah, I remember a time where companies would wait until the actual show to reveal their games :pac:

Here's a teaser for the upcoming trailer announcing the trailer at the games awards.

*Games awards trailer not indicative of actual gameplay*

• Advertisement

Looks very Left 4 Dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Looks very Left 4 Dead.

It's from the same guys who worked on the original games

It looks very L4D though. I thought they'd do something more than just an unofficial L4D3 (although I'm probably still down for that).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Hmmmm Dead Space and Left 4 Dead likes is not something I was expecting, pleasantly surprised. That pre recorded interview after was so badly done, Keighley was way off his cue.

God he's so disingenuous.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Hmmmm Dead Space and Left 4 Dead likes is not something I was expecting, pleasantly surprised. That pre recorded interview after was so badly done, Keighley was way off his cue.

God he's so disingenuous.

Not bad indeed. Interested to see more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Which game are you referring to that looks like L4D?

Advertisement